Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I think Mustardman hit the nail on the head there in his last paragraph!
    In order to get the same lay of the hammock as you have now the fabric on the bottom of the hammock at the whipping ends would need to be at the desired angle while there is a load in the hammock (say 30*) when that is done, every time the hammock is hung it would need to be hung with the ridgeline and suspension in a straight line (taut)! In order to do this you would have to either lengthen the ridgeline or shorten it to find that angle, also the length of the chainlink's will play a factor in achieving this proper angle! I am no mathematician so I will step back on this part of the equation and let the pro's figure that out!!!
    Yep...it wouldn't be that hard to calculate the "new" ridgeline length (ca. 83% of the hammock plus chain links to rings). My reaction at the moment is that I'm not sure of the advantage of this, though I may rig my Traveler this way to see what happens...and what differences it would make. Headchange4U has already done pretty much the same thing in his single line suspension thread, though that thread "wandered" at least as much as this one.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Yep...it wouldn't be that hard to calculate the "new" ridgeline length (ca. 83% of the hammock plus chain links to rings). My reaction at the moment is that I'm not sure of the advantage of this, though I may rig my Traveler this way to see what happens...and what differences it would make. Headchange4U has already done pretty much the same thing in his single line suspension thread, though that thread "wandered" at least as much as this one.
    Well it would be interesting to see how it turn's out if nothing else!?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I'd actually been toying with a similar concept, i made an adjustable ridgeline attached directly to my whoopies rather than hammock so it acts like a single line suspension that's adjustable in 3 spots. that's how i've been thinking of it anyway. the advantage i saw here was my max span can be reached with a point on the trees i can reach. so more pitching options is what it boils down to. and i can still pitch at the preferable 30 degree angle when the mood takes me

the preferable 30 degree angle
    There's no such thing. That's a vague rule of thumb used to get a general idea of a good ratio between hammock length and the straight line distance between the ends of the hammock which is valid for some gathered end hammocks using particular combinations of fabric and whipping style.

A 30 degree deflection of the suspension lines is not your goal. Your goal is a comfortable lay. A 30 degree deflection of the suspension lines is just a decent starting point that yields a result that probably doesn't suck and might be somewhat close to what you need.

We all need to work on not treating generalities as though they are physical laws. We're doing a disservice to new readers when we do.

[/RANT]

Boris

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    It will just affect it MUCH LESS than it would without a ridgeline, since without a ridgeline the sag would be determined COMPLETELY by the suspension angle, and not mostly by the ridgeline with a slight variation depending on how tight the ridgeline is.
    I completely forgot to ask my original question.

Mustardman, are you assuming here that there is stretch in the ridgeline as the various forces on the ridgeline change? What you've said makes sense to me if we assume that the distance between the two rings will vary with changes in suspension tension and/or weight in the hammock. If the ridgeline is assumed to have zero stretch, then I missed something and it's back to making no sense at all.

Boris

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    There's no such thing. That's a vague rule of thumb used to get a general idea of a good ratio between hammock length and the straight line distance between the ends of the hammock which is valid for some gathered end hammocks using particular combinations of fabric and whipping style.

A 30 degree deflection of the suspension lines is not your goal. Your goal is a comfortable lay. A 30 degree deflection of the suspension lines is just a decent starting point that yields a result that probably doesn't suck and might be somewhat close to what you need.

We all need to work on not treating generalities as though they are physical laws. We're doing a disservice to new readers when we do.

[/RANT]

Boris
    <applause>
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

[/RANT]

Boris
    Yes this is correct! But, this was posted in the OP's first post so it has been mentioned as a reference to this as it might be the angle that work's for him!?!?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images

[/RANT]

Boris
    Nice rant.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

Mustardman, are you assuming here that there is stretch in the ridgeline as the various forces on the ridgeline change?
    I'm not assuming it. There are two immediately obvious possibilities - one is that the distance between the whipping ends of the hammock changes, either by stretch in the ridgeline or by the looseness of the ridgeline allowing them to move closer together.

The second is that, since you are changing the amount of horizontal tension applied to the ridgeline, and the weight of the person in the hammock isn't changing, the amount of force from that person's weight that is being supported by the horizontal component of the force at the whipping masses is changing, and so the forces on the hammock fabric are also changing, which changes the "feel" of the hammock even without significantly altering the "sag".

That is pure conjecture, though, because I don't feel like working out what is a much more complicated problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    The second is that, since you are changing the amount of horizontal tension applied to the ridgeline, and the weight of the person in the hammock isn't changing, the amount of force from that person's weight that is being supported by the horizontal component of the force at the whipping masses is changing, and so the forces on the hammock fabric are also changing, which changes the "feel" of the hammock even without significantly altering the "sag".
    Right. All of which is predicated on the rings changing position relative to one another. If the rings are unable to move relative to one another, then it doesn't matter if you have 12 pounds or 12 tons pulling on the rings from the outside. If I have a pair of eyebolts screwed into a beam with a hammock hanging from the eyebolts, it's not going to matter one bit if I pull on the ends of the beam.

So... if your ridgeline can't/won't stretch, then it doesn't matter at all what the angle of your suspension is as long as it's at least enough to take the slack out of your ridgeline.

Best ridgeline = monofilament unobtainium. Second best = amsteel. Not so great = mason's line.

At least... that's what I think.

Boris

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast