Hammock
    DIY 1.9 rs gathered end.
    Tarp
    DIY 11 X 11
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-glides/web
    Images

What to do with old down mummies??

I have 2 old down mummy bags that are in good shape. These are Army style, front(top) zip, and have some type of rubberized bottom. Thinking about making either a peapod, or an underquilt from them. I kniow there's info here somewhere on doing a conversion like this, but can't seem to locate it.
    Ideas wlecome!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I think you should implement a top quilt idea I have but am too chicken to try

The general idea is to cut the hood off, remove the zipper, and build a top quilt. But then after you make a good top quilt, re-attach the hood, so the opening of the hood is on the opposite side from the opening in the quilt. So when you put the quilt over top of you, you can stick your head up in the hood and have the biggest benefit of a sleeping bag in a hammock, but without the hassle of getting inside a sleeping bag.

Did that make any sense at all? It's tough to explain what I'm seeing in my head.

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 rs gathered end.
    Tarp
    DIY 11 X 11
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-glides/web
    Images
    I think I get it(kinda). How would the hood attach? Would you just sew the bottom corner of the hood to the edge of the quilt?

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 rs gathered end.
    Tarp
    DIY 11 X 11
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-glides/web
    Images
    Seems like it would just be easier to cut the hood off and use it as a down hood with the quilt. Nothin fancy. I'm mor interested in the underquilt or peapod idea. Going to BWCA in July, and it can still get pretty cool up there-40's is not unheard of.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    How much does the bag weigh? Does it pack well?
    If your in the bwca, your probably canoeing? so weight won't be quite an issue. I did a mod to my synthetic bag and works great. Had it at 11 degrees. But it is bulky.
    I sliced a hole in the foot end, and feed the hammock suspension thru the hole. Added a few tie out points to the bag and suspend the bag under the hammock. Depending on your bag and hammock, when zipped shut, it can be a little confining. But it is warm.

If you have a full length, two-way zipper, you can put your hammock thru the foot end and keep the rest zipped.
    Works best with the shockcord suspension tho.
    pics in my gallery
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Hex
    Insulation
    Mummified DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    --Chocolatier (Master Chocolatier and Amateur Hammocker)

Dancing Lion Chocolate
    DancingLion.us
    Twitter: LoveOfChocolate

Las cosas claras y el chocolate espeso.
    Ideas should be clear and chocolate thick. ~Spanish Proverb

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 rs gathered end.
    Tarp
    DIY 11 X 11
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-glides/web
    Images
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Gargoyle, the bag is a little bulky, but I'm not real concerned abou tthat. I have 2, I make take you idea and slice the foot, pull it up and attach the top portion of my seconf bag as an "extension" to get enought length so it will cover me completely. But like you said, it would probably be confining, if it was even wide enough to zip together-not sure-sounds like measure and cut time!
    I also like the UQ idea, and just using my good sleeping bag as a top quilt.
    Pretty quick I'm just gonna say screw it and start cutting and see where the down falls!

I've used a rectangular bag in a similar manner as Gargoyle's mummy mod and even the larger size of the rectangular bag was confining and laying off-center (flat) wasn't an option. An underquilt is a far better option in terms of comfort, weight, and pack size.

I also have used a down army extreme cold mummy bag as an overquilt (no modification). It is extremely warm! Too warm for even a cold snap in central Texas. In your neck of the woods it should be perfect.

• + New Posts