Yet Another Suspension System

Here's why I checked "Other" in the suspension poll:
    By utilizing just a single descending ring and one carabiner, which gathers the tree hugger ends, and incorporating a clove and a modified trucker's hitch, I've conceived of a system that is secure, light, easily adjustable and quick to tie/untie.
    Pic #1 The ring is attached to the suspension line via a clove hitch.
    Pic #2 Tag has been run through the carabiner, back to the ring and then wrapped around the line. By pushing on the hammock side of the ring while pulling on the tag, considerable force can be applied to the line; be careful.
    Pic #3 Another wrap, forming bight.
    Pic #4 Tighten second wrap and create a second loop.
    Pic $5 Bring tag through second loop.
    Pic #6 Tighten second loop and push it up behind the first loop. Run tag back towards hammock to form drip tag.

To loosen, place finger behind second loop and slide it back down over first loop. Pull the tag back through the second loop, tug and the entire knot/lash will relax.

This works well with the original HH suspension line and should be as equally adaptable to other diameters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    cool, i like the backup knot (the part after the half hitch w/bight. you say it's easy to loosen? i like the way it looks when it's finished.

i have a similar back up knot. i pull on the slack as if to pop the bight, and just before it gets too small, i insert a second bight of slack through the first. cinch the first the rest of the way down so it "holds" the second. two pulls and both bights are popped.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazer View Post
    Here's why I checked "Other" in the suspension poll:
    By utilizing just a single descending ring and one carabiner, which gathers the tree hugger ends, and incorporating a clove and a modified trucker's hitch, I've conceived of a system that is secure, light, easily adjustable and quick to tie/untie.
    Pic #1 The ring is attached to the suspension line via a clove hitch.
    Pic #2 Tag has been run through the carabiner, back to the ring and then wrapped around the line. By pushing on the hammock side of the ring while pulling on the tag, considerable force can be applied to the line; be careful.
    Pic #3 Another wrap, forming bight.
    Pic #4 Tighten second wrap and create a second loop.
    Pic $5 Bring tag through second loop.
    Pic #6 Tighten second loop and push it up behind the first loop. Run tag back towards hammock to form drip tag.

To loosen, place finger behind second loop and slide it back down over first loop. Pull the tag back through the second loop, tug and the entire knot/lash will relax.

This works well with the original HH suspension line and should be as equally adaptable to other diameters.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    How about this?
    Instead of Step 5, putting the tag through the second loop, how about putting another bight through the second loop then tightening down. Then the whole not is "slippery" and will come loose with a tug.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Something else I just thought of. The only advantage I see to this method is that it allows you to be able adjust it or tie it under the tarp and maybe pull it a little tighter. You could easily lose the ring and tie the same hitch at tree huggers instead of the HH lash. You just might not be able to pull it as tight, if that's really necessary.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

"How about this?
    Instead of Step 5, putting the tag through the second loop, how about putting another bight through the second loop then tightening down. Then the whole not is "slippery" and will come loose with a tug."

With your way it shouldn't come undone but I wouldn't trust it. By running the tag through the second loop, there's no way that it can.

In regards to your second comment: If you use a trucker's hitch, the loop that's installed in the mainline can jam. Others have reported that it has jammed so tightly that they've had to cut the rope.

One could use the "driver's hitch" (at top of page) http://www.isu.edu/outdoor/knots.htm
    But you'd still have the following problem.
    Another reason that I use the ring is to minimize the friction of rope sawing on itself. Granted the surface of the ring has a smaller diameter but it is much smoother.

Edit: You may be on to something. I'll try it the next time that I'm "hanging out, hanging on". Depending on where the ends of the tree huggers are located, there might be a problem of too much of a gap as I try to tie the first wrap. Hmmm...I'll see.
    Last edited by Gazer; 09-07-2007 at 14:41. Reason: Now I fully understand your second comment

• + New Posts