Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Way less calf pressure

Recently I posted this response about the dreaded calf pressure with gathered end hammocks:

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have always had this problem, to a greater or lessor degree- with all hammocks except the JRB bridge, and the HH Safari.

But after removing the net on my HH UL Explorer, I have found yet another new trick. I get in on the right side above the foot end pull out. When I sit down during side/top entry, I pull the hammock edge just barely to my knees and push the remaining fabric away from me, smoothing it out with the other hand as I sit down. IOW, once I lay down, I am significantly more to the right side of the hammock than the left. When I lay down lateral and put my head left, my upper body is left of center and my butt and legs are right of center. Naturally, legs are normally always right of center. Butt is normally about center with bottom entry. But with entire lower body a bit right of the bottom entry, it puts my lower legs far enough away from the center ridge so as to negate virtually all leg pressure, after a little positioning for the sweet spot.............. But now having discovered this with my Explorer after removing the net, it now moves near the top of the list for lack of leg pressure, right behind the Safari and of course the bridge. Yay old faithful!

I am experimenting with variations of this technique with other hammocks, but no luck so far.
    As much as I love the Bird overall, honestly I had no better results as far as leg pressure from the center ridge than with most of my gathered end hammocks, and not as good as some. I always have to have something under my knees.

So the other night I am testing my IX UQ after addition of IsulTubes, and I wanted to use my WBBB 1.7 dbl layer, even though my no net HH Explorer was plenty comfortable. I guess I was missing the shelf!

So, trying to use the above approach, but with sides reversed. Because I have to enter on the left side with the BB, instead on the RIGHT with my HH. So, as I am sitting down I pull a good bit more fabric than usual under my legs towards my knees, instead of very little fabric with the HH. So, when I lay down, I am now a fair bit closer to the right side "wall" than I had been normally. The switch to lateral and Bingo! After getting in and out several times, I would have to say there was little to no calf pressure after the usual positioning for sweet spot. I seem to be far enough right of the center ridge as to avoid the calf pressure. I slept the night with nothing under my legs, and apparently was just fine. I have tried it several more times for lounging with similar results. So, this may be the answer for me as far as my only complaint with the BB. Managing to NOT have leg pressure in the BB and not having to have something available to place under my knees. Yay! Now maybe I can more fully enjoy that wonderful upper body BB comfort!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Wow! What a perfectly time post. I have experienced much the same problem as you describe. I thought I was just going to have to live with it. I always try to ensure that I bring something into the hammock with me to put under my legs. With any luck my brand new 1.7 double will be here tomorrow. If the planets align and all goes well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. That perhaps I will get a chance to do a quick test hang tomorrow afternoon. If I do I will try out your discovery.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    The only time I've experienced calf pressure in my blackbird was when I had it hung too tight. If the ridgeline is loose when the hammock is empty, and just barely taut when I get into the hammock, there is no calf pressure whatsoever. YMMV, obviously.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    The only time I've experienced calf pressure in my blackbird was when I had it hung too tight. If the ridgeline is loose when the hammock is empty, and just barely taut when I get into the hammock, there is no calf pressure whatsoever. YMMV, obviously.
    Right, I have tried about every RL tension combo, from pretty tight to pretty loose and in between, and it just hasn't made much difference for me. As well as positioning myself either higher or lower in the hammock, no matter. I have really been envying you guys who reported no leg pressure, even if you had to use a looser hang to get it. So the easiest way to deal with it for me is a jacket or something under the knees. Or at least a leg pad, sometimes (not always) that was enough. But trying this different positioning to the right has allowed me to escape the calf pressure while paying little attention to the RL.

At least for the last few times it has been nice. I hope it keeps working for me! Not that it is a big deal having something under the knees. You could make a case for it, for ultimate comfort and insulation, even if there was no leg pressure. And then you don't have to even worry about RL tension or exact positioning in the hammock. It's just that- depending on time of year- there may not always be unused clothes available.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppabear View Post
    Wow! What a perfectly time post. I have experienced much the same problem as you describe. I thought I was just going to have to live with it. I always try to ensure that I bring something into the hammock with me to put under my legs. With any luck my brand new 1.7 double will be here tomorrow. If the planets align and all goes well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. That perhaps I will get a chance to do a quick test hang tomorrow afternoon. If I do I will try out your discovery.
    You may not even half to mess with it. Some folks report no pressure problems with the BB, especially if they get the RL tension just right. But some others beside me have had a problem. If you do, I hope the above trick works for you. In fact, I hope it KEEPS working for me!

But after I accidentally discovered how much more leg comfort there was in my HH once I got the net off and started entering from the right side and laying a bit right of center, it seemed logical it might help on some other gathered end hammocks. Looks like it might!

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    An adjustable ridgeline will allow you to change the amount of knee pressure. I made mine longer than the stock one, goes to around 111 instead of 100, significantly less pressure.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    An adjustable ridgeline will allow you to change the amount of knee pressure. I made mine longer than the stock one, goes to around 111 instead of 100, significantly less pressure.
    11" is a pretty significant jump and the net length end to end is sized specifically for the 100" ridgeline. What kind of stretch does that do to the bug net? Pretty cool you can change it that drastically.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Now that is interesting! I had wondered about if the RL was longer. Kind of opposite of the usual approach. Sometimes I think my Claytor does better with way less sag than I use with most hammocks.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    I had the pressure issue also. I had to increase the sag to the point I had to shorten my ridge line an inch can make a word of difference..

Images
    fabric weight makes a difference too, i don't get it at all in the sl1.1

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast