DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, i agree w/ what ff said. i would look at other options rather than the sun shade.
    a couple important questions...
    1) ... do they tell you what temp ranges to expect?
    2) ... what do they say about the likelihood of rain during this time?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

good idea

Hi,

Great idea buying the two hammocks. Spoke with the people at Hennessey and went to their site. The logical buy does seem to be the H Adventure Racer at 15oz but, you mentioned that it lacked the velcro closer to close the bottom slit. Not sure if the Hyperlite at 1lb 10oz has that velcro closer. Not even sure what the benefit of the velcro closer is. Can you elaborate.
    There are set hanging areas during the race-the areas are research sites with poles. I found some hammock hanging videos and it looks like the Hennessey is fairly easy with the use of the snake skins there site says its a 2 minute set up. HMMM? Thanks for the feed back.

Quote Originally Posted by terceiro View Post
    If money is no object, I'd suggest buying two hammocks: one for learning, and one for racing.

To expand on that: in order to become an expert in a month, I'd want as much practice as possible. I would try to find a hammock locally (I know of at least one place that sells 'em locally, even here in central Ohio where backcountry is somewhat difficult to find) and get started hanging, tearing down, and hanging again, experimenting in different weather situations, etc.

Then you can spend some time doing more research (and you'll likely get some good feedback from folks here) about which one will best suit your needs. You might consider the Hennessy Adventure Racer, which is their lightest model and should have all the comfort, bug protection, and rainworthiness of the others; I think the only real difference is that it lacks the velcro to close the bottom slit. Haven't tried it myself, though; I'm just reading the comparison chart at Hennessy's site.

As far as durability goes, I think that the more expert you become, the better your hammock will survive. You'll learn about the right (and wrong) way to hang, how much stress your hammock can handle, etc. For that knowledge, there's no substitute for experience. So, get hanging.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    The Hyperlight does have the velcro closer. Your bodyweight will keep the slit closed in the Adventure racer. If your worried about some nasty mean squitos, snakes, lizzards, scorpions, etc. cuddling up to you, you might would want the velcro. A pad would solve this problem though.
    Skins are really nice and make set-up/tear down a breeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by A-K-A View Post
    Hi,

Great idea buying the two hammocks. Spoke with the people at Hennessey and went to their site. The logical buy does seem to be the H Adventure Racer at 15oz but, you mentioned that it lacked the velcro closer to close the bottom slit. Not sure if the Hyperlite at 1lb 10oz has that velcro closer. Not even sure what the benefit of the velcro closer is. Can you elaborate.
    There are set hanging areas during the race-the areas are research sites with poles. I found some hammock hanging videos and it looks like the Hennessey is fairly easy with the use of the snake skins there site says its a 2 minute set up. HMMM? Thanks for the feed back.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

LOL! Just realized I was posting incorrectly. Thanks for the Double Sheetbend knot advice. Left a message with the folks at Hennessey regarding the straps. I weigh 127lbs and I am 5"7 the lows seems to be 73-81 degrees. I had to do a bit of research to understand some of your suggestions sorry about the slow reply. Hennessey will send free snakeskins with hammock if bought on line. No sponsors not considered a pro. Have to pay for the fun. Check out the race www.junglemarathon.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    At those temps, forget the underquilt. A thinlight 1/8 might be wise just in case:
    http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...thinlight.html

LOL! Just realized I was posting incorrectly. Thanks for the Double Sheetbend knot advice. Left a message with the folks at Hennessey regarding the straps. I weigh 127lbs and I am 5"7 the lows seems to be 73-81 degrees. I had to do a bit of research to understand some of your suggestions sorry about the slow reply. Hennessey will send free snakeskins with hammock if bought on line. No sponsors not considered a pro. Have to pay for the fun. Check out the race www.junglemarathon.com

Last year it rained only once during the night. The lowest at night was 73 averaged 81 and the high at night was 83. During the day 85-93 degrees 65%-70% humidity. It drizzled during the day. This seasons expections --really hot-- don't expect much rain-- but its best to be prepared for anything.

The thin lite weighs 1.9-2.1 oz. I guess I can cut that down to size. Will it suffice to protect me from the ginormous bugs if I go with the Adventure Racer at 15oz combinded with the thin lite ? Otherwise I will have to buy the hyperlite at 1lb 10oz inorder to have the velcro closure. Will I still need to use the thin lite for padding? I was told that I would have tons of room in the hyper lite its just weight but, I'll take weight to avoid bugs at all costs.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Actually I was kinda joking about the bugs being a problem with the Adventure racer but I guess it could be. Once your in the hammock, it should be shut tight enough to keep critters out. If your not in the hammock, it would be kinda loose and something could get in. You could have something like a blanket or something with weight in the hammock to keep the slit closed while your not in it or just keep it skinned until ready to use. You could definetely cut the pad down some. At least to 3/4 body length. The thinlight would be for insulation only. Not padding. You probably could get by without it at those temps depending on how cold you sleep. Good insurance just in case.

The thin lite weighs 1.9-2.1 oz. I guess I can cut that down to size. Will it suffice to protect me from the ginormous bugs if I go with the Adventure Racer at 15oz combinded with the thin lite ? Otherwise I will have to buy the hyperlite at 1lb 10oz inorder to have the velcro closure. Will I still need to use the thin lite for padding? I was told that I would have tons of room in the hyper lite its just weight but, I'll take weight to avoid bugs at all costs.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-13-2007 at 18:10.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    at those temps you won't need much on the bottom (or top), but like FF said, it would be a smart move to have a little lite protection.
    if you're exhausted & sweaty, you could feel a little cool by morning.
    i hope you'll share a few pictures after the race.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

biting insects

The Old Coot warns of insects biting through the bottom fabric. When you have mosquitos the size of Volkswagan Beetles buzzing around, you might want that thin foam layer just to protect from that.

I haven't yet slept out without a net or quilt beneath me so I can't directly relate to the experience. I have slept in the midst of swarms of insects so fierce I was very glad for the added protection.

Grizz

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast