Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images

Tent stakes for large tarp?

I have a larg 12x12 GG tarp and I sake out with Vargo Titanium Shepherd's Ultralight Hooks. But even with moderate wind and with the stakes pushed all the way into the ground they still pulled out all or part way. I'm thinking to get something with a little more surface area/length.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

If the tarp is placed correctly you shouldn't have a lot of problem's with the shepherds hook stakes, alot use them as do I and haven't had a problem unless I placed my tarp incorrectly and it became a sail when the wind blew!
    But you can look at the MSR Ground Hog stakes, or the one's in the Hammock Forums Store (they are basically the same exact thing)!?!? Both are great stakes!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1 oz
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use the MSR Groundhog stakes and they work great, the pull cord on them makes it so much easier to remove.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I've got the shepherd hooks, and depending on soil types they need to be re-inforced.

Sandy or loose soil, any stake has a problem grabbing. Under those circumstances add rocks or larger limbs for tying off to. ymmv

Insert stakes at a 90 degree angle to your guy lines for best results. Once stakes are in, I'll add a little boot pressure, to compact the soil around the stake.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Probably the biggest factor in stakes coming loose is the soil type. As was mentioned, MSR Groundhog stakes, or their generic equivalent, are generally excellent. Make sure they have a string for convenient removal. In very sandy soils, I've had excellent luck with 9" aluminum nail stakes. Also, in extremely rocky soils where it is hard to find room between the rock to drive a stake, I use very small diameter titanium nail stakes. Don't forget to place a big rock or log on top of your stake in loose sand or mud, if available.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Another vote for the MSR Ground Hogs. I use the ones with a loop of cord attached, and attach figure 9 rope tighteners directly to the cord. Combine that with leaving the guylines attached to my tarp, and setup is very quick and easy.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Soil type is the key. Here where I live you have top soil dirt to hard pack clay and rock. All with in a few miles. You never know what ya gona get.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I have to add a vote for the knock-off MSR Groundstakes. They are produced by Coglahns, check my spelling, and I picked up four of them for around $3 at my local Academy Sports and Outdoor store. They work great in the soil type that you describe, I have the same type of soil where I camp at mostly.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    I have to add a vote for the knock-off MSR Groundstakes. They are produced by Coglahns, check my spelling, and I picked up four of them for around $3 at my local Academy Sports and Outdoor store. They work great in the soil type that you describe, I have the same type of soil where I camp at mostly.
    Ditto. Yesterday I picked up a pack of four 9" groundhog imitations by Coghlan's for $3.99 at Sport Authority. The 6" ones work well, thought I would try the 9" for loose soil. The cord loop is a great help when removing the stakes.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    with my GG tarp I also use the larger stakes. I like the 9" groundhog imitations. They hold the best in most of the sandy soil that I usually come across in my neck of the woods. I always carry 4 of them and a small variety of the other types of stakes (you know for the just in case times).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast