Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I hiked Leadmine back when the daffodils were blooming, but not with Jerry's group. I like the trail, and it's really a necessary route to avoid the private property. The southern most gully is pretty steep on one side and can be slick.
    The other two are easily navigated.

Going south on the Linville Gorge Trail, look for a small sign just before you get to the cliffs. That's it. You'll turn west in a flat and then climb steeply for a couple or 3 hundred feet onto Sharp Ridge. Cross the ridge, and there are switchbacks down the other side. Then just continue south till you reach the MST at the saddle.

Jim de Friess surveyed the MST from Table Rock to Pinnacle Friday and Today. There are some logs to step over, and he mentioned having to crawl under one. The trail is narrow in places due to brush encroaching, but he clipped with shears as he traveled. Should be a bit easier to follow now. The group that maintains the MST has some work to do though.

Hope that helps,
    Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    The group that did Tinkers Linville Gorge, NC Loop - May 14-16 went that way. Described the gullies as steep and slippery if wet.

Any one who passed that way please comment!
    It was challenging in places, but if I remember it correctly, it's marked with little pink survey flags. Take your time, and you'll be O.K..oh! & also look for the lightning struck HUGE tree that's right by the trail. ( there's a couple of picks I posted of me & RF standing by it on the trip report from the last hang.)
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Thanks guys! That's about what I figured from following the trip posts, great to get confirmation.

Now the challenge is to get someone to go. So far only 2 "interested"s". And one is a "low life"! The BW gives me lot's of grief when I solo, and in this case I can't argue with her! Last trip on the LGT I got my shins banged up and bloodied. Nothing serious but it's impressive when on blood thinners. Great hike!!
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Leadmine I think is a typical Gorge trail,It's got some slick spots and it could be really slick in the rain.It's easy to follow and well marked to find traveling south.It looked to be still a work in progress,it's challanging.That river really sounds sweet when when you get back into earshot.Have fun!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Thanks guys! That's about what I figured from following the trip posts, great to get confirmation.

Now the challenge is to get someone to go. So far only 2 "interested"s". And one is a "low life"! The BW gives me lot's of grief when I solo, and in this case I can't argue with her! Last trip on the LGT I got my shins banged up and bloodied. Nothing serious but it's impressive when on blood thinners. Great hike!!
    I had to miss the Red River Gorge trip this weekend due to an issue with one of my clients, but I'd really like to do the Linville loop to make up for my last trip to the gorge.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Great! That makes 2 of us and a "go". There are also 2 "possibles, I should know by mid-week. For one we would need a late start to accommodate her. But with you coming from the West we will have 2 vehicles and can spot one along the way in case we need to bail or want a slower, shorter trip (swimming, fishing?). I'll follow up mid-week to agree on a plan.

Cheers,

Hammock
    HH ultralite explorer
    Tarp
    HH hex tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    id be interested, but im too much of a soccer fan to miss usa vs england that weekend! i did that loop about two years ago. started at pinnacle and went counter-clockwise. went out pinchin instead of going through leadmine, but i did leadmine last year during a winter trip. wasn't too bad then. just LOTS of leaves so mis steps were common.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Great! That makes 2 of us and a "go". There are also 2 "possibles, I should know by mid-week. For one we would need a late start to accommodate her. But with you coming from the West we will have 2 vehicles and can spot one along the way in case we need to bail or want a slower, shorter trip (swimming, fishing?). I'll follow up mid-week to agree on a plan.

Cheers,
    Let us know when you get an itinerary dialed. The counter clockwise route sounds pretty good as Soundwitness and I got to "enjoy" starting on the West end of the gorge going clockwise.

Still, if I had a choice, I'd prefer hitting that Shortoff climb earlier in the day. That burnt out section was hot going DOWN, I don't know if I want to be walking up all of those exposed switchbacks in the heat. It is doable. However, "pleasant" would not be a word that I would choose in describing the experience.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Family issues have forced cancelation of the trip for June 11 -13! I'll look for another open date, re-schedule and post again.

Thanks to mall for your input,

steve

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Can you come with us this weekend, Millergear?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast