Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarp Tautness

Tarp Tautness

I'm having trouble getting the tarp on my UL backpacker to be taught.
    The middle of the tarp folds over on itself, the part that is over the hammock, so it wobbles in the wind.
    any suggestions?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Is the tarp still set up in the default configuration, with the prussik knots connected to the Hennessey suspension ropes? If so, ditch that configuration ASAP and start tying the tarp directly to the tree. There are many guides on how to do that on these very forums.

There's a chance that your tarp fabric is stretched in the middle. It's not very likely, but it can happen to nylon especially if you routinely wrap the tarp tightly around something in your pack (like a wadded up hammock). It's pretty simple to check that by just putting the tarp flat on the ground and staking it out. If you can get it flat/tight when it's laying on the ground, then it's not a problem with stretched out fabric.

After checking that, hang your tarp as you normally do and then play with the position of the side tie outs. If you move one of the side tie outs way too far towards the head, you'll see an obvious wrinkle form at the head end. If you move it way too far towards the foot, you'll see a huge wrinkle form at the foot end. The little wrinkle you're seeing along the ridge can be just a more subtle form of the same thing. Your tarp has a specific shape. If your side tie outs try to put it in a different shape it's going to wrinkle. If you have one side tie out too close to the head and the other one too close to the foot, you get a near perfect fold in the middle of the tarp.

The other possibility is that you're pulling the sides down too hard. That can cause the middle to bow and you'll get weird wrinkles that way too. That doesn't sound like what you're describing though. The simplest thing is probably to just put a true ridgeline under your tarp. That will stop the middle from flapping in the wind and it gives you another place to hang wet socks.

Boris

Each time I have set mine up with original tarp it has sagged in the middle a little bit cause of the angle of my suspension, it takes some fiddlein to get it right but can be done! Just what Boris said if you have the side tie out's too tight it can cause this to happen! It's a fine line with the original HH asym tarps between taut and too taut, if it is too taut it will cause the center to bow like you are describing! If you follow Mustardmans advise it will be the most taut you can get for these tarp's! Most have switched from the factory HH set-up, mostly due to wanting a larger tarp, but the stock way can and does work and there are a lot that still use it with no problems it just takes some (a lot) of practice getting it set-up properly!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Second the tie directly to the trees... standard advise for years now... Also Self Tensioning Lines (STL) on the down corners are a big help.

pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    hennessy deep jungle xl
    Tarp
    hennessy hex tarp
    Insulation
    roll matt
    Suspension
    karabiner

i dont like tying seperate...

i use my hh explorer for work when im in the rainforest, longest stretch so far has been six months and i prefer to have mine all together in one place.

in this video, second bit i think, ive shown how to put a ridge line made from paracord connected to the two o rings on the tarp, this lifts it up and means it wont sag, even in monsoon weather.

check it out and give it a try....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by callmeammo View Post
    I'm having trouble getting the tarp on my UL backpacker to be taught.
    The middle of the tarp folds over on itself, the part that is over the hammock, so it wobbles in the wind.
    any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Is the tarp still set up in the default configuration, with the prussik knots connected to the Hennessey suspension ropes? If so, ditch that configuration ASAP and start tying the tarp directly to the tree. There are many guides on how to do that on these very forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Second the tie directly to the trees... standard advise for years now... Also Self Tensioning Lines (STL) on the down corners are a big help.

pan
    I may be the only one here that sort of takes a different view of that. well, not really different, it's not that I disagree with that being the best way to get a tight tarp, cause it is. But there are pros and cons. You may have noticed that the stock HH tarp is not overly big. And when you get in the hammock will sag but the tarp, tied to the trees, will not. So, you will end up further from the tarp ridgeline than the manufacturer intended, and what was just enough coverage now becomes highly questionable coverage if the rain is sideways in the least. You can decrease that problem a bit by tieing the tarp to the trees a few inches lower than the hammock. That helps, but I still thought coverage was less than confidence inspiring.

Coverage is ( IMO and experience) MUCH better with the tarp attached to the hammock, but then a really tight tarp becomes nearly impossible. Things that can help: bungees between the tarp and the ground as Pan said, hanging empty stuff sacks filled with sand or wet dirt from the little hooks on the end of the tarp between the tarp and the ground stake. I have had pretty good luck with that, it greatly dampens the effect of wind. Or, if you don't think you need a storm pitch but wind is bad, pitching the tarp "wide" to hiking poles, with or without the sand bags.

But the tree connection is what makes for the tightest tarp, no doubt. But for me, if I do that ( and I mostly do), I feel the need for a bigger tarp, like the JRB rectangular 10x11.

Quote Originally Posted by trekkingnut View Post
    i use my hh explorer for work when im in the rainforest, longest stretch so far has been six months and i prefer to have mine all together in one place.

in this video, second bit i think, ive shown how to put a ridge line made from paracord connected to the two o rings on the tarp, this lifts it up and means it wont sag, even in monsoon weather.

check it out and give it a try....
    Link for video? I'd like to see this trick you mention.

Images
    BillyBob58, I think he is putting what amounts to a separate ridgeline under the tarp that connects to the hammock suspension lines and the tarp connects to that added ridgeline. As long as that ridgeline stays taut and is the proper length it will keep the loose area in the center of the tarp from forming a gutter and collecting water or from sagging down to the bugnet and its ridgeline.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post

pan
    Ill second the STL's, they do a great job at keeping the tarp taught. I have a pair, and OOHH what are the chances, jacks sells them on their website. ( I know they do I have a pair of Jacks STL and am very happy with how taught they keep my tarp in rain and high winds)
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    BillyBob58, I think he is putting what amounts to a separate ridgeline under the tarp that connects to the hammock suspension lines and the tarp connects to that added ridgeline. As long as that ridgeline stays taut and is the proper length it will keep the loose area in the center of the tarp from forming a gutter and collecting water or from sagging down to the bugnet and its ridgeline.
    Thanks, Youngblood! Hey, where ya been, man? Long time no post. Good to hear from you!

EDIT: well, I see you have been posting a bit for a month or two. I guess I missed them because I was not here much, or at all, for several weeks. I was up in the Yukon and Alaska. Anyway, glad to see you here again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast