Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grand Trunk Ultralight Skeeter Beeter

How's it going everyone? I found this site while googling. I'm trying to find reviews of this hammock or this product in general. I enjoy backpacking, I did most of mine in Afghanistan and in the swamps/forests in FL.

I'm looking for something durable, is this it? I took a chance and got 1 on ebay, (the guy still has 4 more).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultralight-Mosqu...item3a5b19d04f

I plan on using this in NH in the White Mountains and then back in FL when my enlistment is up.

Bad idea? Or Good product?

I tried running a search on here but didn't turn anything up.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    The Grandtrunk hammocks are awesome. I only own three of them. I have the regular Skeeter Beeter Pro, the Nano7, and the ATHH(All Terrain Hybrid Hammock). I don't know how tall you are or what not, but the regular Skeeter Beeter Pro is very roomy at 10' long x 5' wide. You can find more info on their website www.grandtrunkgoods.com
    Chris

Thanks but I've been to the site, there's isn't much info in the way of a review. There isn't an Ultralight Skeeter Beeter on there either.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    That is MY (retired last night) Old hammock. It got nearly nightly use for about 4 years & is still functional. It is retired because: I modified it causing the bug netting zipper to fail prematurely, it has a VERY SMALL tear at about butt level from near constant use. All in all it is a GREAT hammock. Took a nap in it this morning.

A note: it is short, about 26 inches shorter than my new Pro.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    That is MY (retired last night) Old hammock. It got nearly nightly use for about 4 years & is still functional. It is retired because: I modified it causing the bug netting zipper to fail prematurely, it has a VERY SMALL tear at about butt level from near constant use. All in all it is a GREAT hammock. Took a nap in it this morning.

A note: it is short, about 26 inches shorter than my new Pro.

Thanks!

I'm mostly interested in durability. So far it sounds like a good buy. I'm used to military gear, would you say it's comperable to a M-1965 system?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Menoch, welcome to the forum.
    As far as comparing a M1965 hammock (army issue netted hammock), to a modern day synthetic hammock, is like asking if a Porsche is comparable to a m1a1 tank. They are completely different beast. Sure the hammocks both hold somebody while sleeping. A tank and a car both drive people down the road.

But the nylon material, the width of todays hammocks, the weight and compactness are in totally different classes.
    Canvas vs ripstop nylon.
    Canvas: heavy, smelly, takes forever to dry.
    Ripstop: Light, compact, dries quick. Excellent strength to weight ratios.

M-1965, is a good hammock, a collectors item for the hammock guru, in my opinion. It was my first hammock 35 years ago, I wish I still had it!!
    But for all out comfort, there is no real comparison to a modern day hammock. With the advancement in lightweight materials, wider fabrics, waterproof sil-nylon, versus old canvas.

If you really expect your hammock to hold up to dragging it on the ground, over briars and brambles, the answer is no hammock will do good, period. Some things werent meant to be abused. Treat the gear with the respect it deserves, and it will function fine for years to come...old army issue stuff or new modern day gear.

M1965 thread from last year Where greater minds than mine talked about the hammock.

M1965 is a fine hammock, short, narrow, heavy, smelly, and does not pack down small. But it is a functional hammock with quirks.

Skeeter Beeter makes a good product from all reports I've heard/read, I've never played in one, personally. But it is bigger, longer, lighter, and packs smaller than the M1965. And a heck of a lot more COMFORTABLE.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 05-27-2010 at 05:57.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Menoch, welcome to the forum.
    As far as comparing a M1965 hammock (army issue netted hammock), to a modern day synthetic hammock, is like asking if a Porsche is comparable to a m1a1 tank. They are completely different beast. Sure the hammocks both hold somebody while sleeping. A tank and a car both drive people down the road.

But the nylon material, the width of todays hammocks, the weight and compactness are in totally different classes.
    Canvas vs ripstop nylon.
    Canvas: heavy, smelly, takes forever to dry.
    Ripstop: Light, compact, dries quick. Excellent strength to weight ratios.

M-1965, is a good hammock, a collectors item for the hammock guru, in my opinion. It was my first hammock 35 years ago, I wish I still had it!!
    But for all out comfort, there is no real comparison to a modern day hammock. With the advancement in lightweight materials, wider fabrics, waterproof sil-nylon, versus old canvas.

If you really expect your hammock to hold up to dragging it on the ground, over briars and brambles, the answer is no hammock will do good, period. Some things werent meant to be abused. Treat the gear with the respect it deserves, and it will function fine for years to come...old army issue stuff or new modern day gear.

M1965 thread from last year Where greater minds than mine talked about the hammock.

M1965 is a fine hammock, short, narrow, heavy, smelly, and does not pack down small. But it is a functional hammock with quirks.

Skeeter Beeter makes a good product from all reports I've heard/read, I've never played in one, personally. But it is bigger, longer, lighter, and packs smaller than the M1965. And a heck of a lot more COMFORTABLE.
    Imformative post! Thanks!

1 thing though the newer M-1965s are made of nylon. Army still issues them!

My biggest thing is not so much comfort though, it's the durability. Comfort or lack of it I can deal with, I have slept on/in worst. For what I intend to use my hammock, I do prefer tank to porsche. Porsche's tend to be a clump of metal when hit, I've seen M1A1s take IEDs and keep rolling.

I'm starting to think I was better off, talking to our supply guy about a M-1965.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Menoch View Post
    Comfort or lack of it I can deal with, I have slept on/in worst.
    Okay, enjoy.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Okay, enjoy.
    Cars, humvees, rocks, rocks, rocks, and rocks. Haha.

A day of alot of walking will make you tired enough to sleep on anything. I'm just looking for something that will last, and take as much abuse as I can give it.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter
    Tarp
    DIY-needs doors
    Insulation
    CC foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a skeeter beeter (the ultra light version not the PRO version) and the ~only~ issue I have with it is that it is rated for 250 lbs. I'm 220 +/_ and being that close to the limit bugs me a bit (no pun intended) other than that....I dumped the tree ropes that it came with, as well as the "S" hook assembly. I replaced all of that with nylon mule tape for attaching to the tree (3 turns generally) and use a marlin spike hitch for the whoopie slings (8 footers) from the hammock itself. It all fits in the bag, and is pretty light. Still looking at options for an underquilt or pad though... I had the M1959 in canvas. It was OK, but @ almost 5lbs with a tarp....Thinking about getting a HHSS next though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast