Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Insect Shield question

I'm new to hammock camping (I suppose I should do an intro post) and will be purchasing my first in the next few days. I think I've settled on the ENO DoubleNest but have a question (well, actually lots of questions, but I'll try to contain myself). I've searched the site here and found lots of helpful information about permethrin, but I haven't seen anything regarding the ENO DN with Insect Shield. My question is, is it worth it to pay more for the pre-coated model?

In looking at Sawyer and other spray-on permethrin brands, it seems that it will last for 42 days of sun exposure or something in that neighborhood. This might be a stupid question, but is the ENO version more permanent or should I just save a little money and pick up a bottle of permethrin and do it myself? Is any treatment at all even effective? TIA.
    Last edited by CMPops; 05-24-2010 at 20:11.

A soak application will be more permanent than a spray on application. Other than that, it's all the same stuff.

Boris

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I haven't bought into the pre-treated stuff. The treatment is only temporary by every application I know about, so you'd only be paying for the first time convenience of already having it treated. I very much doubt that the pre-treated stuff would last any longer than a standard application, but I could be wrong. Still doesn't matter to me because I just gather everything up and spend a weekend treating gear every couple of months. If I start buying pre-treated stuff, I'd have to start separating my gear before treatment. That sounds way too much like work to me.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Thanks!

Thanks for both your responses. That's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I'll definitely save the twenty bucks and do it myself.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A local Outdoors radio show did a showcase on a clothing line that's pretreated. I don't recall the name but it was probably the ExOfficio Insect Shield clothing line. I'm not sure because they were making it sound as if it was only available in camo patterns geared towards hunters so it may have been a different brand. Someone from the company was saying they use a special bonding process that makes it more effective and last longer than DIY treatments. I believe they were claiming it lasts at least 70 washes. Here is the website for Insect Shield. http://www.insectshield.com/Default.aspx

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Insect Shield site

Pizza, thanks for the link. From what I gathered, their method is good for 70 washes on clothing and 25 washes on washable gear. Not sure why the difference, but assuming that an ENO DN fabric would be considered gear, the price bump doesn't really cover the difference in doing it yourself.

Thanks again to everyone for the assistance.

• + New Posts