Modifying tension within a hammock

Lying in my hammock, I realised that nobody would design a parabolic shaped lounger.

I have seen spreader bars, tensioners, asym shapes, structural ridgelines, bridge hammocks, bat hammocks and such. These seem to modify the lay of the hammock, but fundamentally the hammock remains a simple (mathematically "second order") curve.

I wonder if anyone has done much in the way of modifying the contours of the hammock within the hammock itself, say adding back support etc.?

I saw schrochem's bridge hammock mod where he raises his upper torso by adding a pair of lines under the hammock and I realised that hammocks need not be made of one flat piece of material. One could alter the shape of a hammock by adding curves to the material.

One could sew elastic into a regular hammock in a pattern that would alter the shape to give a more comfortable position. If the elastic was in a channel, stitched at one end and with a toggle or buckle on the other end, the user could adjust the hammock to change lumber support or accomodate different genders' shape.

Likewise, one could build spectra lines into a string hammock by simply threading them through the spaces between the knots. A line tracing a parabolic curve would progressively change the speer/ banana hammock into a bridge hammock as tension was increased. It doesn't have to be parabolic. It could be parabolic, but narrow at the top to provide more back support, like schrochem's bridge hammock.

Let's please hear your comments and ideas.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Trinity hammock by Mountain Laurel Designs claims to have fabric cut with cat curves so you can lay flat, straight down the center of the hammock. The only time I've seen one was at TD when Ron pulled it out of his trunk...never laid in one so I can't say if it works or not.

He was hesitant to bring it to market b/c HH had just introduced his Hyperlight. I told him if he can match the weight, plenty of folks would prefer a top loader over the HH style. He said it gave him something to think about but didn't promise anything. The Trinity is made from eVent.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDP-189 View Post
    Lying in my hammock, I realised that nobody would design a parabolic shaped lounger.

I have seen spreader bars, tensioners, asym shapes, structural ridgelines, bridge hammocks, bat hammocks and such. These seem to modify the lay of the hammock, but fundamentally the hammock remains a simple (mathematically "second order") curve.

I wonder if anyone has done much in the way of modifying the contours of the hammock within the hammock itself, say adding back support etc.?

I saw schrochem's bridge hammock mod where he raises his upper torso by adding a pair of lines under the hammock and I realised that hammocks need not be made of one flat piece of material. One could alter the shape of a hammock by adding curves to the material.

One could sew elastic into a regular hammock in a pattern that would alter the shape to give a more comfortable position. If the elastic was in a channel, stitched at one end and with a toggle or buckle on the other end, the user could adjust the hammock to change lumber support or accomodate different genders' shape.

Likewise, one could build spectra lines into a string hammock by simply threading them through the spaces between the knots. A line tracing a parabolic curve would progressively change the speer/ banana hammock into a bridge hammock as tension was increased. It doesn't have to be parabolic. It could be parabolic, but narrow at the top to provide more back support, like schrochem's bridge hammock.

Let's please hear your comments and ideas.
    pop over to the Bridge Hammock thread, and have a look at the posting last night by dblhmmck on his suspension hammock. In this post he describes the shape, crafted to achieve certain lay properties (higher 'round the knees for support on one's back, I think).

Grizz

Hammock body shapes

Hey Guys,

I am working on my new and improved hammock. I posted pictures last week of my PREVIOUS one (look in my gallery, or go to page 56 of the Bridge Hammock thread). I am anxious to share details and workable solutions. So, while I am making this one, I am photographing some of the details. I will give you a write up when it is finished- probably a couple more days.

I do have features that include channels of elastic which help regulate the tension. I have modified the hammock shape to alleviate the bent backwards knee syndrome. I saw that previously I was not able to fully describe what I had done. This next time pictures will help, and worthwhile modifications and simplifications will make the impementation of the concepts come across more clearly. Coming soon!

• + New Posts