Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cheap, but dependable?

For a couple weeks I've been reading up on a lot of people and how they have made their own hammocks and saved some serious $$ by doing so. That's fine and dandy, but until recently I discovered that the main key ingredient (to my knowledge) was purchasing the hammock material at a low cost at Walmart (or maybe somewhere else that I don't know about).

I called 9 different walmart's in my area (lots of wallys up here) and they all said the same thing. "Nope sorry, that material is seasonal. We don't got any."

Basically, if I bought the same material at a local fabric store, the price of just the hammock would be around $25 and then say a bug-net and tarp... good lord am I even saving money.

The answer is no. So, what I'm trying to ask is does anyone know of a cheap brand/type of camping hammock that is possibly generic enough for me to find at some camping or military surplus store, because the option to make my own is beginning to look spendy which is the opposite reason why I wanted to make one in the first place.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it
    -aceatc

My personal experience with Wal-Mart fabric departments is this: They DON'T KNOW what they have in their $1/yard area, so you have to go looking for it. I asked at my local Wal-Mart if they had any ripstop nylon of any kind and got a blank stare and a "no, we don't carry any of that", yet when I went to the $1 rack I found a couple bolts of it there. Granted, you can't always pick and choose the colors, weights, or the waterproofing like that, but as I discovered, you CAN still get into a decent hammock for cheap!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aceatc View Post
    For a couple weeks I've been reading up on a lot of people and how they have made their own hammocks and saved some serious $$ by doing so. That's fine and dandy, but until recently I discovered that the main key ingredient (to my knowledge) was purchasing the hammock material at a low cost at Walmart (or maybe somewhere else that I don't know about).

I called 9 different walmart's in my area (lots of wallys up here) and they all said the same thing. "Nope sorry, that material is seasonal. We don't got any."

Basically, if I bought the same material at a local fabric store, the price of just the hammock would be around $25 and then say a bug-net and tarp... good lord am I even saving money.

The answer is no. So, what I'm trying to ask is does anyone know of a cheap brand/type of camping hammock that is possibly generic enough for me to find at some camping or military surplus store, because the option to make my own is beginning to look spendy which is the opposite reason why I wanted to make one in the first place.

-aceatc
    Here's reasonable choice. http://www.mosquitohammock.com/
    You'll find one for $60,$90 and my personal favorite for $130. Just ask NEO.

Miguel

Hey, we don't have Wal-Mart in my country and even though I live in a remote area I find really good quality stuff from reputable people like Speer Hammocks. Even with the shipping and exchange rate I can still make a very good hammock way cheaper than buying one. The other thing is having some thing YOU have made (and can alter). With the internet you can get such good advice (like this forum) or go half way, get a kit from somebody reputable with quality materials but make it yourself. I know that I took the plunge and am now hooked on making my own gear. A hammock is the least difficult to make of home made gear. ---- Just my two cents.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aceatc View Post

-aceatc
    My first hammock. $20 and it will get you going. You'll still need a bugnet option, but it's a great hammock for the $$!

Images
    I can make a lighter weight version of the HHAR for half the cost, and it will be the dimension that I want. Now, I certainly could by a travel hammock for $30, and be content with that too, but I wanted something made by me.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    aceat, you can also look into the eaglenest hammocks, 49.95 single nest, 59.95 for dbl nest. also trecklight hammocks. bug netting sold separetely, but you can make your own for cheap. hope this helps!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I can make a lighter weight version of the HHAR for half the cost, and it will be the dimension that I want. Now, I certainly could by a travel hammock for $30, and be content with that too, but I wanted something made by me.
    I'm gonna feel really dumb after you tell me but, what is a "HHAR"? I'm assuming it's a Hennessy of some sort, maybe.

Images
    I think HHAR is the adventure racer.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension