HH Expedition Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6"
    Insulation
    Blue CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Getting My First Hammock Today!

While I'm waiting for "Brown Santa" (the UPS man) to deliver my new toy, I just wanted to thank everyone on here for the great information, the videos etc. It's made my decision very easy!

I scraped together enough cash and a dividend check to get the HH Expedition Asym with the side zipper from REI ($99 and free shipping was a steal!). I plan on using it until I'm sure hammocking is for me, if not I'll go back to ground and give it to my brother. If it is for me, I'll use it for a "spare" tent while I build my "dream" hammock setup.

Now, since I don't have the package yet, I'm sure while Hennesey included many things, they don't include stakes. That has me thinking about rigging the tarp. I am rather broke after the hammock purchase, so a nice tarp setup is a little ways away. I'm thinking of going to Lowe's for some gutter nails and some mason's line for a tarp ridgeline. Is this the cheapest route, or should I go ahead and get some "nice" stakes (Target has some MSR knockoffs for cheap, plus I know they have some Figure 9's and S-biners) and some "better" line for the ridgeline (have plenty of outfitters in town, plus a Sportsmen's Warehouse) Something like Kelty Trip-Tease?

Thanks for allowing me to share my excitement, and any info would be greatly appreciated!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    gutter nails and mason line is a great idea. good luck. We do share in your excitement.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Congrats on the purchase! I know it's tough waiting for your goods to arrive. Although the gutter nails will work I'd recommend using the mason's line and the MSR knock-off stakes. Both will serve you well for quite some time and there's less chance of your lines slipping off the MSR-like stakes. Also, check out http://www.animatedknots.com/. As long as you don't mind learning or adding a couple of minutes to set-up and tear-down, knots can replace a lot of the "gee whiz" hardware until you get set on how you want to suspend your hammock and tarp. There are a ton of options out there and the best thing to do is keep it simple and try different techniques until you find what works best for you. Shug's videos are defintely a must-watch as well.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I've have some of the kelty trip tease on my Clark tarp. That stuff lights up really bright when you shine a light on it. I am noticing some wear on it though. I've used it for over a year now and it's still usable, just sort of stiff and I have to watch that nothing snags it. The cheap knock off msr type stakes are great!!! do a search here for the Guide Gear Tarp, it's heavy at 2 pounds but 12 x 12 and really cheap!! You'll need something for insulation under you, do you have a military surplus store near by?? A military poncho liner used is usually in the $20 range and they work very well tied to the bottom of the hammock as an UQ.
    have fun with your new hammock,
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6"
    Insulation
    Blue CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for all the info! Now, just waiting for the package to hit the porch!

My brother and I are screening in my front porch this weekend, so a Lowe's trip is definitely in the cards. I'm just waiting for my wife to figure out that the treated 4x4's and bags of Quikrete on the trailer aren't really needed for the porch I mean, you have to have a backyard stand if you don't have trees, right?

As far as insulation, I have a 24" wide x 3/8" thick blue pad, plus an insulmat. I also have Feathered Friends sleeping bag until quilts most surely enter my future!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz or WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG Cuben / DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I moved to gutter nails after trying various other stakes. I'd go with gutter nails based on the fact that they work well, are light (not as light as titanium shepherd hooks, but lighter than the aluminum shepherd hooks), and are cheap. They'll work fine, but you can always change later if you want.

As for the ridgeline...you shouldn't need to purchase anything. If you got the small asymmetrical tarp, it connects to your hammock suspension with supplied clips attached with a prusik (again, supplied). If you got a larger HH tarp, it'll come with the necessary ridgeline string.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    4 x 4's and quikrete...I like your style!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6"
    Insulation
    Blue CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, took a little break for dinner and a Target run, and when I came back the hammock was here! Acting on a hunch, I tied the treehugger straps off to the end trusses on my 12x16 metal carport, played with the lines to center and raise the hammock (definitely seeing the benefits of getting whoopie slings or buckles!) and held my breath while I first sat in it. It held my fat bottom up while I bounced up and down, so I swung my legs over and zipped up the screen...

Wow, that's comfort! I think I may be in love

I tied out the shockcords on the hammock sides using my new MSR groundhog knockoffs (Coleman branded, $6 for 4 at Target), and hooked up the stock HH Asym tarp using the hooks on the included Prussiks. It looks big enough for using this summer in the Carolinas, but I definitely am going to use a separate ridgeline to give me more flexibility in setup.

Speaking of ridgelines... The structural ridgeline on the hammock has a decent amount of slack when unloaded, but when I get in the hammock it's tight. Not guitar string tight, but if I grab it with my thumb and finger and try to bend it it hardly has any flex at all. Is this normal? I seem to remember in the WBBB setup video Brandon shows testing the ridgeline with the thumb and forefinger method, and there was enough slack to bend it almost 90 degrees. Is that what I should be aiming for?

Thanks for all of the great info so far!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    As long as you're comfortable and the ridgeline isn't bowstring tight, you are good to go. The differences in ridgeline tautness come down mostly to personal preference. Play with it a bit and see what you prefer.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Sounds like you are on your way to true comfort.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast