Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Member taffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    ireland
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl COOL.
    Posts
    54
    hi all, i have one of these, its great fun sofar.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tchlink:top:en

  2. #12
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,241
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by KayakCarl View Post
    I picked up a OES 12x15 tarp a couple of weeks ago. This is one large tarp, and very well made. It took only one week from the day ordered to my door step. Top notch workmanship, and customer service.

    Carl
    I thought the whole point behind cat cut was to keep the tarp more taut than a rectangular tarp while also saving the weight of the cat cut?

  3. #13
    cataraftgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Hammock
    Hammeck Netty/Trek Light DL
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I thought the whole point behind cat cut was to keep the tarp more taut than a rectangular tarp while also saving the weight of the cat cut?
    Depends on the design of the cat cut I think. My old Kelty Noah was a cat cut, and it worked great on the diagonal over a hammock. That's the way it was designed to be pitched. But it didn't work as well as our river kitchen tarp. It was difficult to get all sides totally taut (and trust me we tried.... many times). The 12X15 OES cat cut looks like it will work better. It appears to be designed to be pitched in a rectangle manner, with less pronounced cat cuts along the edges. Just going by the pics on the OES website. Will see how it works when it arrives.
    Sounds like Kayak Karl has been happy with his large OES tarp.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 11-23-2010 at 18:39. Reason: add text

  4. #14
    Senior Member stairguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Shakopee, Minn.
    Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    Posts
    545
    Check out (cookecustomsewing.com ) and I believe you will find what you want

  5. #15
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,241
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    Depends on the design of the cat cut I think. My old Kelty Noah was a cat cut, and it worked great on the diagonal over a hammock. That's the way it was designed to be pitched. But it didn't work as well as our river kitchen tarp. It was difficult to get all sides totally taut (and trust me we tried.... many times). The 12X15 OES cat cut looks like it will work better. It appears to be designed to be pitched in a rectangle manner, with less pronounced cat cuts along the edges. Just going by the pics on the OES website. Will see how it works when it arrives.
    Sounds like Kayak Karl has been happy with his large OES tarp.
    KJ
    I've got a Kelty Noah 9 as well. I think the difference between a Maccat and the Kelty is that the Kelty has a cat cut ridgelines as well. The MacCat has cat cuts on the sides only which will make for a tauter pitch (albeit with fewer pitching options than the Kelty diamond tarps).

    I really don't think you can go wrong with an OES.

  6. #16
    cataraftgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Hammock
    Hammeck Netty/Trek Light DL
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I've got a Kelty Noah 9 as well. I think the difference between a Maccat and the Kelty is that the Kelty has a cat cut ridgelines as well. The MacCat has cat cuts on the sides only which will make for a tauter pitch (albeit with fewer pitching options than the Kelty diamond tarps).

    I really don't think you can go wrong with an OES.
    That explains why it was always such a pain to pitch on the rectangle as a kitchen tarp. We've driven ourselves nuts trying to get that thing tight. I'm sure the 12x15 OES will work much better. We usually use a VERY heavy MSR Outfitter Wing (16X18) for large groups, but I was in search of a lightweight smaller tarp for when we have 2-4 people. I'm excited to get this tarp. It looks like it will work out great.
    I agree that the Kelty tarps are also awesome. I still have an old Noah 9 that's seen better days in my gear shed.
    KJ
    Last edited by cataraftgirl; 11-23-2010 at 19:10. Reason: xx

  7. #17
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,241
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    That explains why it was always such a pain to pitch on the rectangle as a kitchen tarp. We've driven ourselves nuts trying to get that thing tight. I'm sure the 12x15 OES will work much better. We usually use a VERY heavy MSR Outfitter Wing (16X18) for large groups, but I was in search of a lightweight smaller tarp for when we have 2-4 people. I'm excited to get this tarp. It looks like it will work out great.
    I agree that the Kelty tarps are also awesome. I still have an old Noah 9 that's seen better days in my gear shed.
    KJ
    I think the "trick" to the Kelty is to use the attachment point in the center and hang that, then tie out the corners. I may be making that up as I go along, but it seems that I've seen then set up that way. I hope you enjoy your OES, but you might try the center pullout on the Kelty as well.

    BTW, how much longer is your season going?

  8. #18
    cataraftgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Hammock
    Hammeck Netty/Trek Light DL
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Posts
    1,659
    My river season usually ends with an early September Middle Fork Salmon trip, then a float & fly fish in October on the Southfork Snake River. I had to skip the October trip this year to have knee replacement surgery. Rehab (and buy new gear) in the winter, then back on the river in late April/May.
    We are currently having a blizzard outside, so the snowshoe/ski/winter camping folks will be in full swing. Maybe now that I have all this awesome hammock gear, I'll have to give winter snow camping a try.
    Gotta get this new knee working first.
    As for the Kelty....we thought about that top center thing, but never could find a suitable thing to tie it up to.
    KJ

  9. #19
    Señor Member wisenber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Speer,DIY,GT
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Posts
    2,241
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    My river season usually ends with an early September Middle Fork Salmon trip, then a float & fly fish in October on the Southfork Snake River. I had to skip the October trip this year to have knee replacement surgery. Rehab (and buy new gear) in the winter, then back on the river in late April/May.
    We are currently having a blizzard outside, so the snowshoe/ski/winter camping folks will be in full swing. Maybe now that I have all this awesome hammock gear, I'll have to give winter snow camping a try.
    Gotta get this new knee working first.
    As for the Kelty....we thought about that top center thing, but never could find a suitable thing to tie it up to.
    KJ
    Well I hope that knee replacement was not too bad. I've heard grandmothers scream things that would make a sailor blush after that surgery. Once it's good, it's good, but before then I hear it can be pretty bad.
    Don't rush it! That being said, it would be a nice change from the Southeast to get out your way for a visit.

  10. #20
    cataraftgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Hammock
    Hammeck Netty/Trek Light DL
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Posts
    1,659
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Well I hope that knee replacement was not too bad. I've heard grandmothers scream things that would make a sailor blush after that surgery. Once it's good, it's good, but before then I hear it can be pretty bad.
    Don't rush it! That being said, it would be a nice change from the Southeast to get out your way for a visit.
    I moved to Utah from Florida 23 years ago and Love it. No humidity, very few mosquitos, no cockroaches, nice change of seasons, beautiful mountains, deserts, and rivers.
    Yep, the knee thing is frustrating & slow. But hopefully the final outcome will be worth it.
    KJ

Similar Threads

  1. 3-4 hammock group shelter pics/ideas??? HELP
    By thekevinator in forum Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 06:12
  2. 3-4 hammock group shelter- HELP ideas/pics
    By thekevinator in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-26-2013, 18:18
  3. The original group hang... in a bomb shelter
    By colonel r in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 21:11
  4. HH Super Shelter Hot weather
    By BillyBob58 in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 20:58
  5. Idea for 4 Season Extreme Weather tarp shelter Mod
    By ikemouser in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 16:28

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •