Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dobry den!

Dobry den!

First, "dobry den" is Czech for "what's up?" (also, hello, good day, etc. etc). Now, I'm not Czech or even close to it, but I had to stand out from all the posts starting with "Hello..."

Secondly, hello from NC! I'm a 22yr old NCSU student, and I've always been a big fan of the outdoors: camping, canoeing, fishing, etc. I have been telling myself and my friends for the last 2 years that I was getting a jungle hammock for the sheer badassery that would follow. However, this is not how I started hanging.

Last summer (2009) I was fortunate enough to participate in a study abroad trip to Prague, Czech Republic and while I was there I got to travel throughout the EU for fairly cheap. One place I could not pass up was Amsterdam. Here I made my first hammock purchase from "Maranon." If anyone has been, you probably know exactly what store I'm talking about (the hammock store, aka heaven )

I finally got around to hanging my hammock up after exams this past semester, and for the past two weeks I have been sleeping in it on and off (experimenting while doubly straining my back). I am finally comfortable enough to sleep a full night in it without hurting my back!
    FYI, it is a "Mexico" hammock (www.maranon.com) which I believe is comparable to these: mexican, yucatan, brazilian...etc. and I installed it in my bedroom.

What led me to these forums?
    As I mentioned I am an outdoor enthusiast, and after being convinced with my current setup, I went down to the military surplus store and snagged a GI jungle hammock. Needless to say, it didn't work out. Mainly because it was too small and I am too big (or too long), but also because the "protection" it offered was suspect. So I returned this and justified picking up a Hennessy Hammock Expedition at REI for $100 (on sale). Now, I'm here to learn "the tricks of the trade."

-legs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums!

Maranon, hmmmmm. There is a city in Spain with the same name, but I wonder if it isn't based on the Brazilian state of Maranhão. Really made me think so when I clicked on your link and saw that the majority of the hammocks they carry are Brazilian hammocks, with a few Mayans and rope hammocks thrown it to balance things out.

I've been to Amsterdam more times than I'm going to admit here, but never stumbled across (and I mean that literally) Maranons. Gonna have to add it to the next itinerary, right after coffee.

My girlfriend and I sleep full-time in Brazilian hammocks at home and there are several other folks here that are full-time as well. Ask any questions you need and we'll get you the answers to the 'tricks of the trade'.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    right after coffee.
    That was key to my purchase!

So, do you sleep across or diagonal in your hammocks?
    I have a matrimonial size (#14) brazialian hammock (or "Mexico" hammock as they have it labeled on their site...still not sure what to call it) and it took me a while to figure out that I have more than enough hammock space for my size (6'2"). At first I was trying to maximize the entire space and I think this was hurting my back. Now when I lay diagonal I have a good amount of extra hammock space on either side of me, and this seems much more comfortable.

Do the two of you sleep in the same hammy?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by legs View Post
    That was key to my purchase!

So, do you sleep across or diagonal in your hammocks?
    I have a matrimonial size (#14) brazialian hammock (or "Mexico" hammock as they have it labeled on their site...still not sure what to call it) and it took me a while to figure out that I have more than enough hammock space for my size (6'2"). At first I was trying to maximize the entire space and I think this was hurting my back. Now when I lay diagonal I have a good amount of extra hammock space on either side of me, and this seems much more comfortable.

Do the two of you sleep in the same hammy?
    I'm a diagonal sleeper, which is how these style of hammocks were made to be slept in, hence your comfort level. As the size of the hammock bed (width) increases, you can go more and more diagonal until you are perpendicular to the hammock. My really big Mayan hammocks are best when laying right across the middle of the hammock at the low point....very nice. In my Brazilians, I've got my head a couple of inches from the left edge of the fabric and my feet are usually a couple of inches from the right edge. Sometimes I like to just let my feet hang out over the edge of the hammock, cept then they are vulnerable to being licked by the dog....which will wake you up quicker than anything I've found.

We do sleep in the same hammock sometimes, but usually we are in our own hammocks which are hung side by side in our room. We can still hold hands or play footsie when the mood strikes, but have our own hammock for comfort sake at the same time. All depends on the mood, if you know what I mean.
    Trust nobody!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Well a NC welcome back at'cha ... former NCSU gradgeeate myself. Daughter just graduated from Chapel Hill ... but hey ... every family has their problems!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Replies in green.
    First, "dobry den" is Czech for "what's up?" (also, hello, good day, etc. etc). Now, I'm not Czech or even close to it, but I had to stand out from all the posts starting with "Hello..." We have people who check (ouch) on this kind of stuff. Rankinesoccer?

Secondly, hello from NC! I'm a 22yr old NCSU student, and I've always been a big fan of the outdoors: camping, canoeing, fishing, etc. I have been telling myself and my friends for the last 2 years that I was getting a jungle hammock for the sheer badassery that would follow. However, this is not how I started hanging. Did you mean "coldassery"? By the way this is about as strong as language gets on this forum. We prefer "CBS" (cold butt syndrome).

Last summer (2009) I was fortunate enough to participate in a study abroad trip to Prague, Czech Republic and while I was there I got to travel throughout the EU for fairly cheap. One place I could not pass up was Amsterdam. Here I made my first hammock purchase from "Maranon." If anyone has been, you probably know exactly what store I'm talking about (the hammock store, aka heaven ) Sounds great.

I finally got around to hanging my hammock up after exams this past semester, and for the past two weeks I have been sleeping in it on and off (experimenting while doubly straining my back). I am finally comfortable enough to sleep a full night in it without hurting my back!
    FYI, it is a "Mexico" hammock (www.maranon.com) which I believe is comparable to these: mexican, yucatan, brazilian...etc. and I installed it in my bedroom. If you want to approximate the comfort of that hammock, then DIY and make it longer than you think it needs to be.

What led me to these forums?
    As I mentioned I am an outdoor enthusiast, and after being convinced with my current setup, I went down to the military surplus store and snagged a GI jungle hammock. Needless to say, it didn't work out. Mainly because it was too small and I am too big (or too long), but also because the "protection" it offered was suspect. So I returned this and justified picking up a Hennessy Hammock Expedition at REI for $100 (on sale). Now, I'm here to learn "the tricks of the trade."

-legs
    Sounds like you're off to a good start, legs. Welcome to the forum!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum legs. Check out Jeff's "to the woods" site and also Shugs 10 part Video's for new folks.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY sil cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Dobry Den!

Good to have someone else who has lived in CZ on here I bet you're missing stuff like svickova, smazeny syr and Czech beer

The hennesey should serve you well, I've never used one but they look a good system and they must be popular for a reason.

Enjoy your stay here and you'll pick up all the tricks soon enough

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Dobry Den!

I just translated Happy Hangin into Czech

It comes out as Happy Shed

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome! You will most definitely lots of the "tricks of the trade" here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast