View Poll Results: What Type Of Suspension Do You Use To Tie To Trees (you can make multiple choices)?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stock HH Tree Huggers w/stock hammock spectra

97 49.74%
  • ENO Slap Straps (or similar) with built in loops at equal intervals (daisy chain)

21 10.77%
  • Speer-style webbing using speer 4-wrap

38 19.49%
  • Straps w/buckles like Crazy Creek or Hammock Bliss

21 10.77%
  • I sprinkle fairy dust on my hammock before going to sleep and it just floats, no tying required

16 8.21%
  • Other (please explain)

37 18.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Dont feel the need..... thanks for asking......
    I'll tell you what. Since you seem to post most often in support of the ring buckles, but haven't actually tried the CC buckles; why don't you PM me an address and I'll mail you a set of CC buckles free of charge for you to try. Give them a fair and honest comparison against your rings, and we'll see what you say then... How about that?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I'll tell you what. Since you seem to post most often in support of the ring buckles, but haven't actually tried the CC buckles; why don't you PM me an address and I'll mail you a set of CC buckles free of charge for you to try. Give them a fair and honest comparison against your rings, and we'll see what you say then... How about that?
    Sounds like a plan. I'll PM you.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    They're both fine and easy systems. I have and use both systems and like them both. The CC buckles is probably a little easier than the rings just because you don't have to tie the slip knot for safety.

I bet the reason Tree Huggers is in the lead is just because there are more HH users and the majority of them are afraid to take the steps to convert to rings or buckles. If they just gave them a try they would see how much simpler and how much more sense they make.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    I bet the reason Tree Huggers is in the lead is just because there are more HH users and the majority of them are afraid to take the steps to convert to rings or buckles. If they just gave them a try they would see how much simpler and how much more sense they make.
    I agree! If I hadn't have gotten involved with this site I would have never had the stones to do any DIY or disassembly.

My concern with the buckles is the idea of them being difficult to undo in the mornings. My hands and fingers don't work all that great first thing in the mornings and I'd be worried I wouldn't be able to get them to release. Are they difficult to release or is this imagined?

Images
    OK, HH AS Explorer user here. If I was to go to the CC buckles ( or rings for that matter, then, what?
    1: Make a loop ( fig 8?) in my Spectra suspension rope a few inches from the end of my hammock AFTER first running the rope thru the rings? So then I have hammock/spectra loop/rings?
    2: Then SEW a loop in one end of some Speer polypro or polyester webbing?
    3: Webbing around tree, with or without biner in loop, and the loop free webbing end back thru webbing loop/biner then to the rings and tighten?

Is that anywhere near the procedure? If so, how would this work with the CC buckles?

BTW, where is that link for the JRB tarp tent? Can't seem to find it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That's how I have my rings set-up. As I understand them, the buckles use the same concept they just remove the need for the skipknot most of us use for safety.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My concern with the buckles is the idea of them being difficult to undo in the mornings. My hands and fingers don't work all that great first thing in the mornings and I'd be worried I wouldn't be able to get them to release. Are they difficult to release or is this imagined?
    That's really not an issue, actually. After laying in the hammock for a while, your weight pulls some slack in the suspension and it's simply not a problem.

Before I tried the buckles I thought that would be a problem as well, but it simply hasn't been an issue for me. I guess if you used a hammock that didn't have any ridgeline and pulled it REALLY tight with no sag it might be hard to get them loose...at least until you laid in the hammock for a few minutes. All in all, I don't find it to be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, HH AS Explorer user here. If I was to go to the CC buckles ( or rings for that matter, then, what?
    1: Make a loop ( fig 8?) in my Spectra suspension rope a few inches from the end of my hammock AFTER first running the rope thru the rings? So then I have hammock/spectra loop/rings?
    2: Then SEW a loop in one end of some Speer polypro or polyester webbing?
    3: Webbing around tree, with or without biner in loop, and the loop free webbing end back thru webbing loop/biner then to the rings and tighten?

Is that anywhere near the procedure? If so, how would this work with the CC buckles?
    Yeah, that's certainly one way to do it. Myself, on my HH UL Explorer I just removed/replaced the stock spectra with some 5/32" Spyderline and the buckles. You can see it here and here, as well as there being some other pics of the buckles in my gallery. Once you have the materials in hand, it's fairly straightforward.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 07-15-2007 at 01:02. Reason: fixed link
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Blackbishop has some detailed pics with description on tying the buckles:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...es&c=4&page=29
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The only time I had trouble undoing the buckles was when I was using a hammock with a ridgeline, and I tightened it up really tight, then needed to make an adjustment before I had laid in it a while. Never had a problem undoing them in the morning.

I've only had that problem once with the rings...but I have had it.

I don't tie any safety knots with the rings and have only slipped once...my own fault.

I think rings and buckles are probably just as good as each other...it all comes down to personal preference. But it's definitely worth trying both if you haven't.

And I agree on the reason the HH/huggers are leading...most folks probably just haven't made any alterations to their hammocks. But there are probably a few who don't want the added weight, too.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I am encouraged that there are others using the fairy dust method. Its ahead of Enos straps in this poll.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast