Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Western Summerlite vs. No Sniveller

Greetings,

I have searched the forums the best I could. I apologize if this is the same question all over.

I currently own a Western Mountaineering Summerlite, 32 degree bag and I am still within the 90 day return window. I'm wondering if I should return it and purchase a No Sniveller, but I'm having trouble sorting out the intangible benefits of a quilt.

As far as I can tell, they are fairly comparable in specs. They are about the same weight, they have about the same amount of down, and when the Summerlite is opened up like a quilt, it is about the same width.

I used it in my hammock in my backyard last night in 36 degree weather with a 3/4 length pad under me. Now, I realize that this is an unfair test. I own a Hennessy supershelter, but I wanted to see how I would do in cold weather when my daughter takes the supershelter for her hammock and I am left, uh, swinging in the breeze.

To keep from freezing, I had to close the bag up tight and leave just an air hole to breathe through. I was chilly and I think, in the hammock with poor under insulation, I was really pushing the bag's rating.

Would the No Sniveller offer any advantages? Would I have had the same troubles with the quilt or would I have been colder since I lacked the ability to close it up into a self contained cocoon? Against a heavier bag, the quilt is an obvious winner. What about this bag which weighs on 19 oz?

I should add that I do plan to get a second under insulation system, probably a Nest at some point in the future. My questions now really deal with the philosophy of bags vs. quilts when this bag in particular seems to compete with the quilt on specs.

If you had the option of owning both, which would you use more often and why? I don't have that option, but it helps frame the responses.

Thanks for your help.

FreeTheWeasel
    Last edited by FreeTheWeasel; 09-12-2007 at 18:32.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Greetings,
    If you had the option of owning both, which would you use more often and why? I don't have that option, but it helps frame the responses.

Thanks for your help.

FreeTheWeasel
    Hi FTW--I own a Stealth Universal Quilt (a less lofter brother of the No Sniveller), and a variety of sleeping bags collected over the years. I converted to using a quilt before I converted to hanging in a hammock, being sold on the idea that the down did a better job above me than below me. When it's cold I use it, sleeping also in insulated shirt and pants, with polypro underneath that.

Of course you can use a sleeping bag as a quilt too, but you can't use it as an underquilt...so if I had both in your scenario, I'd use the No Sniveler as an overquilt when I didn't need it as an underquilt, but use it as an underquilt with the other bag as an overquilt when conditions warrant. So the quilt gets used more often...

Grizz

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Grizz,

Wow! Thanks for the reply. You just triggered a thought that may make my decision easy.

Here is what I have to work with:

2 Hennessy Hammocks,
    1 Supershelter
    2 Sierra Designs 15 degree bags (big, heavy, hard to pack)
    1 Western Mountaineering Summerlite

I have two scenarios:

Camping with my daughter: she gets the supershelter and I have to use a camp pad. She uses a Sierra Designs bag, I use the Summerlite. Not a great set up for me as I proved to myself last night.

Camping by myself:
    I use the supershelter and the Summerlite. Pretty nice set up.

If I replace the Summerlite with the quilt I can use the quilt as top cover and the supershelter on the bottom when I'm by myself. When I'm with my daughter I can use the quilt as an undercover, she can use the super shelter (or vice versa) and we both can use the big bags for top cover. When I'm with her, we can't walk all that far anyway (she's only six) so weight is less of a concern.

Clarity! My path is clear. I hope I can find my receipt.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I am not an expert on the SuperShelter but I would bet the quilt would be warmer when used under the hammock.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Dont forget the added bonus of being able to wear the No Sniveler in camp.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Since I will be able to afford only one, which of the JRB quilts would you recommend: the Nest or the No Sniveller?

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I own both. Both work well worn in camp. Used with a Hennessy hammock, I actually like the No Sniveller better. I would rather just push the No Sniveler to the side as I enter/exit as opposed to undoing the long velcro of the Nest. Of course you can use the Nest like this also.
    You have the option of getting the long version No Sniveler. Not so with the Nest as far as I know.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-12-2007 at 21:28.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Excellent, thank you. One final question. I'm almost exactly 5' 10" which is the break even point for the No Sniveller regular and long. Should I go for the longer one, assuming it can still be used as an underquilt?

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Excellent, thank you. One final question. I'm almost exactly 5' 10" which is the break even point for the No Sniveller regular and long. Should I go for the longer one, assuming it can still be used as an underquilt?
    On the JRB site it says it is specifically for use as a top quilt. Might ask Pan about being used as an underquilt. I dont see why not. Especially with longer Hennessy or DIY hammocks.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    On the JRB site it says it is specifically for use as a top quilt. Might ask Pan about being used as an underquilt. I dont see why not. Especially with longer Hennessy or DIY hammocks.
    FTW, FF et al,

All of the standard JRB quilts are excellent UQ on a HH or any other hammock for that matter... Long model quilts function just as well as UQ... but as UQ they are overkill for any one up to 6-4....

As a Top Quilt in a hammock the regulars are excellent coverage up to and including 5-10...Personally, I use the regular size TQ and I'm 5-11 in my hammocks.... The same is true as TQ on the ground (ugh) over that many folk will prefer longs so that they can bury well and have roomy shoulder coverage to toss and turn some.

As to the question, If only one, which one? FWIW the No Sniveller is the most popular JRB Quilt.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast