Images

DIY Hammock too short?

So,

I stumbled onto some fabric at walmart and wanted to make a double layer hammock. Since my sewing machine is crap and my mom is pretty skilled, I cut the fabric and wrote up directions and mailed it to her. Well, when I got it back it seems shorter than I wanted. She had done some pretty wide channels but I took out a seam or two to "reclaim" some of the length. The length from the end wrap to end wrap is 112". Somewhere on here I found a post or video or something saying the ridgeline should be 83% of the overall length. I tried making a ridgeline that length and it didn't feel right.

Is my hammock too short? what length of ridgeline should I use? I have been using it some w/o a ridgeline but wanted to try it with one.

Thanks...

--Matt

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    How wide is the material you used? Width plays a major roll in hammock comfort.
    I've made a few in the same length as yours and they work fine..I'm 6-4..
    But I did use wide 60 inch fabric.

Pictures of your set up might help.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    I think--if your hammock feels too short, it probably is. Better lay in it ten or twelve more times to make sure

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    9.5' can be comfortable, but it also depends on YOUR length...

I'm 6' (ok, 5'11") and I found a 9' hammock to be too short. My current one started it's life as an 11' piece of material and it's way comfy.
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I've made all mine from about 3 yards length (108") although one is a little shorter than that now after some mishaps...

You may want to play with whipping styles and ridge line length. The 83% is just a guideline IMO. What I did was play with the hammock lay and such until I found where I liked it, then made the ridge line for that length. I ended up with about 100-106" length (I haven't remeasured) and a foot box style bottom with channel whipping and a Hennessy style head end.

And I am 5'8"
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Images
    My fabric is 60". I'm 5'7". My issue might be my trees. I have 2 trees and they're a bit far apart. I moved the straps up higher to compensate for the distance and maybe I overdid it. I think I need to get out the ladder and restring it.

Looks like I need to spend more time hangin out.

--Matt

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Another thing to consider is that some of that Walmart material stretches a lot. You can get a much better lay by switching to stiffer material. I just did this and was amazed by the difference.

That said, your hammock should work for you. Keep experimenting with the ridge line and whipping. Try moving about and seeking a sweet spot. There will likely be some combination of sag, whipping and lay that works for you.

If you continue having trouble you might want to attend a hang and try laying in some of the commercial hammocks and comparing the lay with yours.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    Another thing to consider is that some of that Walmart material stretches a lot. You can get a much better lay by switching to stiffer material. I just did this and was amazed by the difference.

That said, your hammock should work for you. Keep experimenting with the ridge line and whipping. Try moving about and seeking a sweet spot. There will likely be some combination of sag, whipping and lay that works for you.

If you continue having trouble you might want to attend a hang and try laying in some of the commercial hammocks and comparing the lay with yours.
    I have a wbbb on order that should arrive sometime soon. I will keep tinkering til then. I might re-whip it and pull up the sides some.

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Good luck. And enjoy the Blackbird. I was able to try one and it was very comfy. But for now I'm sticking with my DIY copy.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Here's another data point for you.

I made a double layer end-channel hammock that is 95" end-to-end and 51" wide. Add about 6" to the length for end channel loops. At 6'2", that is about the minimum size I can use comfortably so yours wouldn't be too short for my taste.

As noted above, ridge line length matters. FWIW, I make my ridge line adjustable from about 82% to about 92% of the effective hammock length toggle to toggle. (both the hammock and the ridgeline loop over toggles.) IME a ridge line length somewhere between 85 - 90 % of the arc length feels pretty good.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts