Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Any Vermonters out there?

A few of us are thinking about a fifty mile, five day hike on the Long Trail beginning around the end of June. I don't know the stretch but it's fifty miles and ends at the Long Trail Inn. It was featured in Backpacker Mag as a really nice hike.

My only specific question would be what to expect with regards to bugs. (read- Black Flies) We'll all be in hammocks. I don't anticipate that being a problem but if you would care to provide any insight to the hike we'd appreciate it.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3S & Yeti
    I think the black flies won't be much of an issue by that time of the year. I just finished a thru-hike of the trial this month and they were only a problem for the last week or two of this month. There will still be mosquitoes for sure.

I would suggest that you pick up a copy of the long trail map as it's quite helpful for any hike on the long trail. https://www.greenmountainclub.org/products.php?catid=3

http://www.longtrailhiking.info/ also has good info with maps of towns and what services they can supply.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Hey Niloc, Im leaving June 23 NOBO on the LT E2E. How's the trail looking this year. It was a high snow year so is the trail really muddy at this time?
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Hey Niloc, Im leaving June 23 NOBO on the LT E2E. How's the trail looking this year. It was a high snow year so is the trail really muddy at this time?
    Keep your eye out for hammockers...we'll be starting a few days after you.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Leigh's 3S & Yeti
    The trail is in great shape. The biggest issue I had was blow downs in a few sections but those should be resolved by now, and if not within the next couple of weeks.

The mud conditions of the trail this year are also very low. Last year it rained here all spring/summer(So much so that it even affected farmers crops) and even in the middle and end of the summer it still seemed like the trail had a lot of mud on it.

From what I saw there was a little mud in some places, but the majority of the trail was dry and mud was not an issue at all.

As long as the weather holds out and it doesn't rain 75-90% of the days before your hike like it seemed to last year, you shouldn't run into much mud at all, and the mud you do see will be minimal and easy to navigate around.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the trail report Niloc, I may PM you as my hike date approaches just to see if any thing has changed. And Miguel. Ill be going by trail name Lazy River Road and hopefully well meet on the trail. Alsoways looking for friends to hike with. Ill be between N. Adams and Manchester center between June 22-27 and continueing nobo from their.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Niloc View Post
    I think the black flies won't be much of an issue by that time of the year. I just finished a thru-hike of the trial this month and they were only a problem for the last week or two of this month. There will still be mosquitoes for sure.

I would suggest that you pick up a copy of the long trail map as it's quite helpful for any hike on the long trail. https://www.greenmountainclub.org/products.php?catid=3

http://www.longtrailhiking.info/ also has good info with maps of towns and what services they can supply.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.
    Thanks for the Links...a wealth of info there. My research has indicated it's going to be a beautiful hike.

Miguel

• + New Posts