Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

ENO Question

Purchased a used ENO Double on ebay and didn't get the caribiners. Will probably just attach looped end of webbing directly through end seam rope channels with larks head and hang with Speers knots. Do any of you ENO users see any problems with this setup?
    Thanks!
    Gentle raindrops and mighty oceans...neither can exist without the other.
    Time heals all wounds...but it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    certainly no problem doing that. But worth noting... the knot that comes stock in the ENO hammock ends is 2 knots with a space in between. It will undo very easily and you could put your webbing loop directly though that, and re-tie it up again. Just as easy.
    Last edited by turk; 11-07-2007 at 17:38.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I think your idea would work. This is the suspension system on my Treklight double. Super quick set-up with easy adjustments. http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=45
    OWF 1" polyester camo webbing, Spyderline rope, cinch buckles, Camp USA Nano biners.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    you could just cinch the end tight with the rope it comes with, tie it off, cut off the excess, and larks head the resulting mass, this way, you don't actually load the stitches in the seam.

i may have misunderstood you, but it will be hard to get the webbing through the hem tube, as it will be a very tight fit.

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    you could just cinch the end tight with the rope it comes with, tie it off, cut off the excess, and larks head the resulting mass, this way, you don't actually load the stitches in the seam.

i may have misunderstood you, but it will be hard to get the webbing through the hem tube, as it will be a very tight fit.
    Actually hem tube is quite large. I am using a 2" polypro webbing. The loop was folded and sewn to make it more narrow. It fit through the hemmed tube with a little room to spare. I am a little concerned about the stich load as well, however, the thing is rated 400# and I am only 255#

Images
    the way it is now, those stitches are the weak link in the chain. it's not something that is likely to happen right away, but over time they can wear out and fail, and they have failed at well under the max load i believe. if you use it alot (lots of loading cycles), it will not last forever, especially if exposed to lots of sunlight, which weakens the fabric. the fabric is strong though, alot heavier than say 1.1 ripstop, which you would be able to see noticable stress in this area almost immediately, the eno fabric is around three times as strong/heavy, and will do alot better, this is the only reason an attachment point like this will work. this is the exact reason ed speer uses his end knot method, and the reason i will never make a attachment point like this either. i actually use the exact same method i described to you. works just like ed's end knot, but is alot less bulky. i use the smallest string to cinch the hem, and after i cut off the excess, there is probably 2-3" involved, which adds basically no weight. then you larks head it with whatever, and if you ever want to switch out your suspension line/webbing it it comes off in a second, the end is still gathered into a bundle, and you can add a new support line easily. this is great if you have several hammocks, you can switch out different suspensions with basically no effort.

Hammock
    DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    JRB, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Peapod, JRB, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i actually use the exact same method i described to you. works just like ed's end knot, but is alot less bulky. i use the smallest string to cinch the hem, and after i cut off the excess, there is probably 2-3" involved, which adds basically no weight. then you larks head it with whatever, and if you ever want to switch out your suspension line/webbing it it comes off in a second, the end is still gathered into a bundle, and you can add a new support line easily. this is great if you have several hammocks, you can switch out different suspensions with basically no effort.
    I was thinking about doing the same thing in my homemade ones as well. Was even thinking of hemming at angles near the edges so that an automatic additional streach of the sides to eliminate floppy edges like Ed uses is realized. Thanks for the input.

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    I added the ascending rings to my single without untying the knot. Just take the rope through the center of the rings, wrap it over and pull the rings through. It ties a larks head!
    Peace,
    Joe

• + New Posts