NX-250 Test Hang.....Yuck!

For the suspension, not the hammock.

Oodles of room in this thing but the jury is still out about the pole suspension. It does seem to do the job of making the interior seem more roomy but I'm a bit concerned about the lack of secure storage and that there are six skinny "sticks" to keep track of. For the price of the system you'd think there would have been at least some thought to this issue.

The construction of the hammock seems first rate but the materials used for the main body compared to the material of my old North American appear much more fragile. That may be completely wrong and is based on appearance only. It looks and feels almost...rubbery. Like balloon material. I keep expecting it to stretch and pop every time I put my butt in it but so far it hasn't. Probably all in my imagination.

One problem though is my tarp has a tear in it. It's only about 1/4" long and practically invisible from the outside but once you lay in the hammock you can see the sun shining through plain as day. I call it a tear but the edges are so clean I'm more apt to think it was an accidental knife cut at the factory, or something equivalent. I have yet to contact Clark about it and I"m a bit concerned since I've had the hammock since just a tad over 3 weeks. Hopefully they'll still make good and not tell me to pound salt.

I spent an extra 20 buckazoids and upgraded to the vertex tarp. It has plenty of coverage end to end and plenty side to side at the head end, but the foot end could stand to be a bit wider. Still, I don't think I see any need to spend $200-$300 additional monies on an aftermarket tarp. If I figure I need something that can be closed up like a tent with doors, windows, a dining room and basement, I can always use one of the 12x12 sportsman guide tarps I picked up for cheap.

Stock suspension sucks. It is perfectly functional and appears to be rugged and of good quality material with little to no stretch but...stock suspension just sucks when you've gotten used to something that takes about 2 seconds to adjust. It's not meant as a criticism of Clark. I wouldn't bother to add anything like a whoopie or strap suspension either since no matter which way you went would add a fair amount of cost, and end up being not what the customer wants 50% of the time anyway.

I just fired off an email to Clark concerning the tarp. I'll keep everyone posted on the resolution.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    I don't think they'll hassle you about the tarp. In my experience, Clark will stand behind their products 100% and want you satisfied as a customer.

If they give you a hard time, just tell them it was a gift that hadn't been opened until recently.

I agree about the pole configuration. I came up with a modification for mine to remedy the problem. The thread is around here somewhere. If you can find a small diameter cord with a hollow core (or removable strands) and tight outer "weave", you can "encase" the poles so they won't get lost and will be easier to keep track of.

The bed material is actually better than the older style NA (in my opinion). It's a tighter woven fabric and weighs less but is just as tough, if not tougher.

The stock rope suspension does stink, but it's functional. The very first thing I did with my 250 was to switch over to straps, ring buckles and Dutch Clips.

Anyway, enjoy your new hammock! I think you'll grow to love it, despite the classic "buyer's remorse" you seem to be having.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    I don't think they'll hassle you about the tarp. In my experience, Clark will stand behind their products 100% and want you satisfied as a customer.

If they give you a hard time, just tell them it was a gift that hadn't been opened until recently.

I agree about the pole configuration. I came up with a modification for mine to remedy the problem. The thread is around here somewhere. If you can find a small diameter cord with a hollow core (or removable strands) and tight outer "weave", you can "encase" the poles so they won't get lost and will be easier to keep track of.

The bed material is actually better than the older style NA (in my opinion). It's a tighter woven fabric and weighs less but is just as tough, if not tougher.

The stock rope suspension does stink, but it's functional. The very first thing I did with my 250 was to switch over to straps, ring buckles and Dutch Clips.

Anyway, enjoy your new hammock! I think you'll grow to love it, despite the classic "buyer's remorse" you seem to be having.

Don't get me wrong, I like it already and not a bit of buyers remorse. The suspension I already knew would stick. I have a North American and it's suspension stank as well and I expected no less from the 250. The bed material was just a visual thing. The old material looks and "feels" more rugged but I suspected that would not be the case, and I wasn't all that concerned about it since it didn't pop the first time I stuck my big butt in it.

The tarp I just filed under shite happens. It wasn't a quality issue, just a quality control issue, and to be fair I didn't even see it until I crawled under it and could see the sunlight coming through.

I already told them my circumstances. I got it 3 weeks ago and promptly left town the next day. Gone for a bit over a week before coming home and leaving town again within days. Yesterday was the first real chance I've had to play with it and that's when I found the problem.

Here's hoping you're right about their response.

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    For storage of the 6 "sticks" I use a welding rod tube. Its only drawback is the near 2inch diameter. Its red plastic, comes apart with a quarter turn, and weighs very little. The advantage is that it will resist bending, and therefore breaking of the rods. I also bought 2 stuff sacks. One for the hammock, and another for the tarp, especially if the tarp is wet. The hammock stuff sack is also just barely long enuf to put the rod tube into.

Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    For storage of the 6 "sticks" I use a welding rod tube. Its only drawback is the near 2inch diameter. Its red plastic, comes apart with a quarter turn, and weighs very little. The advantage is that it will resist bending, and therefore breaking of the rods. I also bought 2 stuff sacks. One for the hammock, and another for the tarp, especially if the tarp is wet. The hammock stuff sack is also just barely long enuf to put the rod tube into.

I think I've found a solution that will work well for me. I have an Aarn pack and they sell something they call tool pouches that attach to the side of the pack. I think they're meant for hiking poles and whatnot, which would have come in handy the other day. They are plenty deep enough for the sticks so I figure a skinny stuff sack to keep them together and then just drop that in the tool pouch that I'm going to be buying anyway. I won't have to worry about then being inside the pack and poking a hole in something, or getting broke from something stuffed just a bit too hard.

Got a response back from Clark this morning. They said no problem send it back. Woo hoo! Or woot or yee-haw, or whatever the heck it is you young people are saying these days.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreening View Post
    Got a response back from Clark this morning. They said no problem send it back. Woo hoo! Or woot or yee-haw, or whatever the heck it is you young people are saying these days.
    Woo hoo, Yee-haw, and Woot, indeed!

Glad to hear about them continuing to provide great customer service. Just one more reason (next to the comfort and quality) I'm hooked on my Clarks!
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    If they will not take the tarp back you could seal it up with sail tape. A friend of mine uses this stuff. He said they use it to repair the rips in sails on boats. Sticks super good, it is strong, comes in clear as a color option and is flexible.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Quote Originally Posted by kritter View Post
    If they will not take the tarp back you could seal it up with sail tape. A friend of mine uses this stuff. He said they use it to repair the rips in sails on boats. Sticks super good, it is strong, comes in clear as a color option and is flexible.

It's already on its way back to Clark.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    For the suspension, not the hammock.
    Personaly - I really like the suspension and the 2 rings,
    (also the optional straps). Just me I guess.
    . . . but I'm a bit concerned about the lack of secure storage and that there are six skinny "sticks" to keep track of.
    For the price of the system you'd think there would have been at least some thought to this issue.
    Funny Thought . . .
    . . .when I purchased my Aston Martin Lagonda for $300,000,
    I felt that Aston Martin should have known
    that I would want it out of the weather,
    and should have built me a Garage to store it in . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    For storage of the 6 "sticks" I use a welding rod tube.
    Its only drawback is the near 2inch diameter. .
    I have thought of the rods as well,
    I am going to purchase some plumbing PVC pipe (smallish)
    each end will have a glued-on-cap.
    Some where near the top 1/3 I will cut it
    and glue a sleeve/coupler to the upper part.

I will then fasten it to my pack one side or the other,
    I will post photos when it is done.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    GT ultralight/ENO DN
    Tarp
    el cheapo
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I think I've found a solution that will work well for me. I have an Aarn pack and they sell something they call tool pouches that attach to the side of the pack. I think they're meant for hiking poles and whatnot, which would have come in handy the other day. They are plenty deep enough for the sticks so I figure a skinny stuff sack to keep them together and then just drop that in the tool pouch that I'm going to be buying anyway. I won't have to worry about then being inside the pack and poking a hole in something, or getting broke from something stuffed just a bit too hard.

that would be 2 woots....haha but i'm not that young either.

WOOT WOOT!!!

glad everything worked out for ya.
    ROLL TIDE!!!

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

HOMEPAGE

- Backcountry

• + New Posts