Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Sharing the ENO DN with a child

I just got my ENO DoubleNest and haven't had time to test it in the backyard, though I did hang it in the garage for a little bit last night. This weekend I'm doing an overnight with my son and a few other folks (no hangers). I'm a complete noob when it comes to hammocks, so my question is, would I be able to share the hammock with him all night with any reasonable amount of comfort, or should I just go ahead and expect to sleep on the ground? I got in with him last night and I feel certain I could share it with him for at least a couple hours, but we were in it with no bags, pads, etc. Pertinent details:
    • The temp is expected to be about 58 ° F with a small chance of rain that night.
    • I'm six foot even, about 195 lbs, give or take a few slim jims.
    • My son is five, about 43 inches, and weighs about forty pounds.
    • He's also a restless sleeper.
    • He currently sleeps every night in a little hammock I threw together out of an old bed sheet strung up on his bunk bed (which is how I convinced the wife to let me get a hammock).
    • When sleeping on the ground, I use an Exped Synmat 7 DLX and Lafuma 20+ ° mummy bag.

After all that lengthy hemming and hawing, my question is this: If I basically say "we're going to at least try to sleep in the hammock" what do I need to be sure we're prepared to give it our best shot?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Why not bring his 'house hammock'? Restless sleepers are hell on those of us who aren't. I know this all too well. If it were me, I'd bring his house hammock and set it up next to yours. If he's uncomfortable in his own hammock, he can always crawl in with dad. If not, well, you get a solid night's sleep.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I think you can make it through, but the biggest challenge will probably be your son's restless moving around in the hammock. Here's an old post by Hooch, who likened sharing a hammock with his 6yr old to 'napping in the dryer'.

Give it a shot! Maybe it will work out for you.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Love this forum

All the responses come so quickly and are so on point.

I think I'll bring his and if there isn't room under the tarp based on the trees, we'll just tough it out together.

So next question: wouldn't the bedding requirements change for two people in a hammock as opposed to just one? Or let me put it this way: if I anticipate that it will be both of us together, what kind of bedding should I bring? I can't imagine two mummy bags working out so well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    When my girlfriend and I sleep double we usually still have separate quilts. Ideally, one large top quilt would be the best route. I'll probably build one for us this fall. Shouldn't be that much different from using an opened pair of mummy bags.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???
    Quote Originally Posted by CMPops View Post
    All the responses come so quickly and are so on point.

I think I'll bring his and if there isn't room under the tarp based on the trees, we'll just tough it out together.

So next question: wouldn't the bedding requirements change for two people in a hammock as opposed to just one? Or let me put it this way: if I anticipate that it will be both of us together, what kind of bedding should I bring? I can't imagine two mummy bags working out so well.
    If you share the hammock, I wouldn't worry too much about him staying warm. I'd worry more about you getting a foot or knee in the groin. You would probably still want an underblanket or underquilt for bottom insulation, and then a large blanket to share. It probably wouldn't need to be too much larger to accomodate him as well.

Good luck and tell us how it goes!

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    HG Inc./Burrow
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images

Well, we're back

I wrote about the experience with him here but to sum up:

Don't sleep with your child in your hammock. The end. To be fair though, that's misleading as I didn't sleep with my child in the hammock. I didn't sleep at all (which is not entirely his fault).

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I am 6'3 over 300# and have shared my DN hammock with my almost 5 year old, 50 something ound daughter. We both sleep pretty still. Never had a bad night sleeping with my baby! YMMV.

• + New Posts