Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tapatalk?

Tapatalk?

Has the question of Tapatalk ever come up?

Tapatalk is a vBulletin (and a few others IIRC) plugin and smart phone (Android/iPhone) app combo that allows a sort of streamlined/stripped down access to forums.

I'm rather ambivalent myself. First, it cuts ad revenue because (last I checked) it doesn't display a forum's ads. Second, it's a bit limited compared to the browser forum experience. OTOH, it's slightly less frustrating than accessing a forum from the native browser on an iPhone/Android phone.

Oddly, none of the camping/hiking or motorcycling forums I've explored offer tapatalk support, even though those are exactly the sorts of activities where dragging a laptop along seems least desirable.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I've looked into it before. While it's an interesting idea, ultimately a standalone device app is less versatile than a mobile skin would be.

I think we'll have a mobile skin in the future, after a couple of other projects are completed.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

That's probably where I'd be headed too. You keep control and the user experience gets a bit better. Only thing you really miss going that way (AFAIK) is the ability to attach pictures directly from the phone. Not a huge deal.

Back when I got my iPhone I started doing quite a bit of mobile browsing. After upgrading to the Nexus One that has gone through the roof. Probably half my overall browsing is done on a phone these days...except for forums....they don't work all that well on a phone. Or maybe it's me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I think we'll have a mobile skin in the future, after a couple of other projects are completed.
    OOooooh!
    -Liz -

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Sweet! But what are the other projects that are further in the queue?

Hammock
    HH & WB & GT & ENO
    Tarp
    Hennessy ASYM 30D
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I understand the desire to install a mobile skin instead of the tapatalk app, but tapatalk really does work very well on the forums that I use it with, and other fixes (like flexplat) are kludgy substitutes that don't deliver...

Why not do both...the tapatalk plugin is free for HF to download/use...

Jamie - nfa

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Can we request the simple tapatalk install while we wait for the mobile skin? This would be AMAZING!

I agree with this from their FAQ:
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php
    Q: What's the point of this app if my members can access my site with mobile skin at no cost?
    A: We received a lot of feedback from users that they want a dedicated app on their smartphone. Most users are contented with the mobile skin or a standard web browser but some of them would appreciate a full-on native app on their phone. For example Tapatalk app allows user to upload photo directly from their phone to your forum as an image attachment. We are also rolling out Push Notification support so it helps your members to stay in touch with your forums while on-the-go.
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions. We're a little busy with the re-org at the moment...we may address this again after we work through that.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I'd love to see tapatalk as an option too. I use it all the time on another forum i frequent....

Just tried TapaTalk for the first time yesterday with another forum. Very slick. Another vote to look in that direction during re-org.

Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast