Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    Ramblinrev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Milton, PA
    Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Posts
    7,801
    Images
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    Beyond that, I'd like to state that the quilt concept is in by no means original to any current (or otherwise) cottage manufacturer. I wouldn't think it fair to to imply that I'm trying to knock off anybody's kit.
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that. As I read Dutch's comment I believe he is concerned for your success and reputation. Allow me to explain if I may. You are reasonably new to the community which means you don't have as much "presence" as some of the others. In offering a product which is _so close_ to a well established product already here it may work against your trying to establish your own unique niche. There is no question that serapes have been around for ages and quilts have probably been around just as long.

    If I may offer what I would see as benefiting your "branding" perhaps you could draw on your experience in Latin America and present some uniquely Latin touches in your display models. That might prompt some further thought by someone looking to have a custom piece done. If they request a serape type quilt I would see no difficulty in providing it for them. But your display materials should set you apart. I think that's where Dutch was going.

    FWIW I know Dutch personally and I really believe he was not intentionally suggesting you were ripping off something that "belonged" to someone else.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

    "Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

    We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

    Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

    Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

  2. #12
    Member jdempsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    88
    Thanks Rev, I already thanks Dutch directly for his honest criticism. I don't take it as a slight, it's fair. Just wanted to make sure and draw a distinction for those that aren't aware of the history of the quilts use, that might stumble across this thread.

    I took Dutch's comments as constructive criticism, and sound advice.

    To be honest, I don't use a serape style quilt, and would never leave my jacket at home in cold weather under any circumstances.

    The only reason I made a serape style quilt in the first place, and mentioned offering it, is because I've had more than a few inquiries about them. Only one person was persistent enough to talk me into making one. I'm happy for that to be the last one, and I don't mean that with even the slightest sarcasm.



    I'm thankful for everybody's input. I might have gotten a bit ahead of myself here in the "packaging and branding" aspect of this. All I'm trying to do is throw my name in the ring for custom work, and since I had alot of people asking me about same dimension stuff, I thought I'd put out some basic info and prices.




    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I don't think anyone was suggesting that. As I read Dutch's comment I believe he is concerned for your success and reputation. Allow me to explain if I may. You are reasonably new to the community which means you don't have as much "presence" as some of the others. In offering a product which is _so close_ to a well established product already here it may work against your trying to establish your own unique niche. There is no question that serapes have been around for ages and quilts have probably been around just as long.

    If I may offer what I would see as benefiting your "branding" perhaps you could draw on your experience in Latin America and present some uniquely Latin touches in your display models. That might prompt some further thought by someone looking to have a custom piece done. If they request a serape type quilt I would see no difficulty in providing it for them. But your display materials should set you apart. I think that's where Dutch was going.

    FWIW I know Dutch personally and I really believe he was not intentionally suggesting you were ripping off something that "belonged" to someone else.
    The Stateless Society
    javan.dempsey@gmail.com

  3. #13
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    6,630
    Images
    198
    JD did PM me and I feel he took it the way as I intended it. It is good to see other options. We are a fast growing market and there is lots of inovations to be discovered. Only a few of us sew and the rest will have more chioces and when people have to compete it keeps the prices down and makes suppliers come up with interesting things. I have a lot of gear and I would say none of it is perfect yet....well except for the bridgeskin. However I am jealous of the dreds.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

  4. #14
    in it for the naps oldgringo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Posts
    6,238
    Props. To everyone.
    Dave

    http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

    It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    Tarp
    DD Camo
    Posts
    608
    Images
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Props. To everyone.
    i'll second that

  6. #16
    Member jdempsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    88

    pics gone

    I cant seem to re-edit the first two posts for some reason.. The pics are gone as I redid the album they were linked from..

    Here's some instead:
























    5 or 6 different quilts there, but except for one, all made in olive fabric only.
    The Stateless Society
    javan.dempsey@gmail.com

  7. #17
    Senior Member Just Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    8,012
    Images
    32
    JD - just so I understand your products, what's the difference between the NS and the last picture in your previous post?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

    - My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

    IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

  8. #18
    Member jdempsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    88
    Jeff, no clue really, I've never owned or even seen a NS(or any other quilt by the same company) in person, but none of the dimensions are the same as far as I can tell.

    The one in the last picture is a quilt that's mostly sew thru but baffled in the footbox, it's also an extremely large quilt. 54" wide if I remember correctly. Pretty much a 35deg-ish quilt.

    I used snaps on the slit as per requested by the customer, I assume the NS uses omnitape?

    It's a straight taper(quadrangle) instead of a half taper(hex).

    It's all green.



    Really the only thing that's the same is the fact that it uses the same footbox fastening method (although I use a snap or button above the velcro to reinforce it), and a head slit to make it wearable(although nobody else that's actually placed an order has requested this or even asked about it).


    All of my quilts are entirely custom made and sized to the user and their preferences. None of them have names or models currently.




    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    JD - just so I understand your products, what's the difference between the NS and the last picture in your previous post?
    The Stateless Society
    javan.dempsey@gmail.com

  9. #19
    Senior Member Just Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    8,012
    Images
    32
    Ok - thanks. I guess I'd echo Dutch's concerns, then. This community tends to value integrity and fair business practices at least as much as price and value, and what you have is very similar to JRB's product line. Changing a few inches of length or width doesn't make a new design, but keeping the major features of JRB's line - the headhole on a hammock quilt, making a flat quilt into a footbox with either velcro or snaps (JRB does have grosgrain at the top of their quilts to secure the omni-tape), and the same footbox gathering method - looks like you're profiting from their R&D.

    That's a common business strategy in the cutthroat world of business...it's why you see Burger Kings across from many McDonalds; BK lets McD's do the market research for where to place a new store, then the other fast food restaurants build next to them. But HF members tend to be a bit more finicky about who they deal with than fast food customers!

    I'm not a lawyer, but I think that JRB would have a case against you if this were a patented item. There really isn't anything substantially different about that quilt. And while they may not take legal action, it's still questionable in my opinion. The fact that three members in 19 posts have brought it up should send you a signal.

    Offered in the same spirit as Dutch...just trying to point out to a new member that HF, and the hammocking community in general, operates a bit differently than most other groups.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

    - My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

    IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

  10. #20
    Senior Member G.L.P.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Schuylkill Co. PA
    Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Posts
    5,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Ok - thanks. I guess I'd echo Dutch's concerns, then. This community tends to value integrity and fair business practices at least as much as price and value, and what you have is very similar to JRB's product line. Changing a few inches of length or width doesn't make a new design, but keeping the major features of JRB's line - the headhole on a hammock quilt, making a flat quilt into a footbox with either velcro or snaps (JRB does have grosgrain at the top of their quilts to secure the omni-tape), and the same footbox gathering method - looks like you're profiting from their R&D.

    That's a common business strategy in the cutthroat world of business...it's why you see Burger Kings across from many McDonalds; BK lets McD's do the market research for where to place a new store, then the other fast food restaurants build next to them. But HF members tend to be a bit more finicky about who they deal with than fast food customers!

    I'm not a lawyer, but I think that JRB would have a case against you if this were a patented item. There really isn't anything substantially different about that quilt. And while they may not take legal action, it's still questionable in my opinion. The fact that three members in 19 posts have brought it up should send you a signal.

    Offered in the same spirit as Dutch...just trying to point out to a new member that HF, and the hammocking community in general, operates a bit differently than most other groups.
    i would like to 2nd that....

    seems to me that more and more ppl are coming on HF to start some kind of business ....
    maybe these ppl need to stick around for a year or 2 and see what hammockers are looking for in gear ...and come up with an original idea
    start by becoming a donating member ...then sit back and take it all in
    i for one would not buy gear from someone that was cloned ...

    i hope we don't turn into a Online Infomercial ....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Similar Threads

  1. Custom widths for quilts (burrow 20)? Ideally 58"
    By cathpah in forum Hammock Gear
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-16-2014, 11:14
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 11:16
  3. Custom Sizing of Quilts
    By The Old Boot in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 14:08
  4. Custom made Under/Top quilts
    By ozarkhanger in forum Under Quilts
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 15:56
  5. Hell yes, Custom Zombie Quilts in production!!!
    By REV in forum Wilderness Logics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-20-2012, 03:36

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •