Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

permanent mounting advice needed

Hey guys...Yes I am a newbie! it is cool to see an entire site dedicated to hammocks..

I have done some searching and found the formulas for mounting distances and recommended angles of hammock..so I am looking for some help setting up my hammock in its permanent location. to be honest I do not have the time to learn the formulas and correct terminology and figured one of you could probably quote me the lengths off the top of your head!

I have a very large castle I built in the backyard for my kids and also built in mounts for the hammock. the mounts are 6 feet high and 15 feet apart.

I have a ENOS double and am am looking for guidance on the correct length for the slap straps to come up with the ideal angle of hammock. dont know if it matters but I am a bit under 6 feet and weigh about 205lbs.

I have no ability to raise the height of the mounts but I can lower them a few feet if necessary.

Thanks for the assistance...

Peace.....................................BartG

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I have close to the same spacing in our upstairs that I use for my daily lounging. When you hang the using the slap straps and your eno you will get some (maybe a looooot) of stretch so you will be making adjustments no matter what length you start off with. because of the fixed height you have to work with start off with as much length on the straps as you can without the hammock on the ground. Get in and when you bottom out get out and move the straps up a notch or two repeat until you are up off the ground and have all of that time longing's stretch out of the set up. You will need to repeat the process some each time but once you know how much everything will stretch you can start at about the right spot to begin with.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

so...the 30 degree angle we are shooting for...is it with me in the hammock? or out of the hammock?...out of the hammock does not make sense due to the stretch factor...

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hammock should be unweighted when setting the 30 degree angle.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    For a nights sleep in the hammock unweighted just like the people eater said, but for me with my hammocks in my house with very close to the same measurements I go with what I can get. 30 degrees is not always achievable depending on the length of the hammock. The HH that I had for a while would have been about 4 inches under the floor to get to 30 degrees. For most of my just lounging I can't tell much difference in a few degrees to make it work.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Veepster View Post
    so...the 30 degree angle we are shooting for...is it with me in the hammock? or out of the hammock?...out of the hammock does not make sense due to the stretch factor...
    The angle is just a rule of thumb. Once you have used the hammock somewhat you will be able to get a good hang by looking. Try different angles and see what gives you the best lay. Once found set your ridgeline to that length and enjoy.

If your hammock is comfy, a few degrees here and there won't matter.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If your mounting hooks don't work out (which by the way, sounds like they will!) you can just wrap your strap around the 4x4? structure higher. A couple of wraps will hold fine. Probably will want to upgrade the straps in the future, something with less stretch.

Welcome to hammock madness.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I just built an outdoor stand. Mounts are 16' apart and 6.5' high. Im attaching my slings directly to the eye bolts using biners and IIRC I have 4' slings on my hammock. They arent adjusted quite all the way out. I also have a set of mounts set at 5.5' and this leaves me just off the ground with a bridge. Havent tried a gathered end yet.

Gargoyle is also correct, you can wrap your straps around the post and they will hold just fine.

unfortunately 6 feet is as high as I can go, as that is the height of the uprights..I was actually hoping i could go lower to reduce some stress on the structure....

I guess that is where my confusion lies....it is the most comfortable when I make the hammock tighter which leaves me about 3 feet off the ground...

to make the hammock lower I was contemplating lowing my mount points to about 4.5 feet off the ground...AND form all my reading that seems VERY low..

regarding the 30 degree unweighted....a hammock with less stretch would have totally different results than the stretchy ENOS..

Thanks again for all the input...I will try and post a pic of my setup, I am quite sure you would enjoy the setup!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Yes, please- I want to see the castle!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast