Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Let the netting hang to the ground, ... to seal out the bugs.
    Not a real good at least in some places. Creepy crawlies can climb if the net is touching the ground. Thems can be things you REALLY don't want in bed with you.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Check with Srg. Rock as he made a bug net for his Nano7 hammock and I believe it was out of the same material that Gargoyle mentioned! There is a thread about it somewhere but I cannot locate it at the moment!?!?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    toule is not really what you want, although with a small enough grid it will work. Chiffon is much more useful and has a much smaller mesh in usual circumstances. The problem with toule is that it is used for veils and structural items that need to keep their shape. Therefore it is stiff and can be more difficult to handle. It also does not stretch as much as chiffon. Chiffon is a very light weight almost gossamer fabric. It's biggest drawback is that is so soft it can droop but it would conform to the edges of the hammock much better if you want to hang it instead of attach it.
    chiffon can be found on bargain tables as well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Yeah,

The tulle can be stiff at first but it QUICKLY softens up after being stuffed a few times. Like Rev said, the small mesh has to be used as mosquitos can crawl through the larger mesh. It is no less durable that some of the other delicate lightweight fabrics we, as lightweight packers, use and it is easily field repairable if needed. It's not for everybody just like lightweight backpacking is not for everybody but it is A LOT lighter than even the Nanoseeum. Also its advantage in warmer weather cannot be over stated. This may be more of a concern to me here in Florida as it is always cooler in the mountains.

I'm not trying to covert anyone to my methods, just offering a lighter weight alternative to conventional netting that served me well on a near 3000 mile hike. Concerning my gear, I am always looking for a lighter version of what I'm currently using. Now that I'm using a pure amsteel suspension and the tulle I am starting to experiment with narrowing my 5' wide hammock to see how narrow I can get it and still be comfortable.

To me, if something is lighter than what I am currently using and performs well, it's a better choice. Does that make it right for someone else? That all depends on why and how they hike.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...