Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images

Where to buy webbing?

Hey everyone, I totally forgot that I have a friend here at work that sews, and she'd be more than happy to give me some lessons, sooooooooo, I think I want my first project to be straps.

So I need to know the following:

1. Where do I buy the webbing?

2. What strength does it need to be tested to?

3. How wide does it need to be?

4. How long is a good length for each strap if I want to try the speer 4-way wrap and then maybe convert to using buckles? (I'm not cutting my spectra just yet, but will tie it to a loop I sew into my strap or use a biner or something)

5. Do I need a special heavy duty needle for my friend's sewing machine, and do I need some special thread?

6. Will I most likely need to add a piece of yarn for drip strings now...in case the straps flip into a U shape? If so, where do I tie them on?

7. When sewing the loop on the end, will a box stitch w/an "X" in the middle be strong enough to hold?

8. Anything special I need to consider?

THANKS!! Depending on how easy it is to find the material, I might try this as early as next week. Kind of excited about it!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Hennesy ULBA
    Tarp
    Macat D
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveler
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    A Bad Day On The Trail Is Better Than A Great Day At Work!!!

-.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    1. Where do I buy the webbing?

- I always get mine from Ed - www.speerhammocks.com

2. What strength does it need to be tested to?

- His ratings are posted on the products page...you should be good with the 1".

3. How wide does it need to be?

Hrm...I guess the HH ridgeline could increase the load. 1" is still probably good enough b/c you'll get some sag as you lay down. If you're unsure, he also sells 1.5".

4. How long is a good length for each strap if I want to try the speer 4-way wrap and then maybe convert to using buckles? (I'm not cutting my spectra just yet, but will tie it to a loop I sew into my strap or use a biner or something)

- 9-10'.

5. Do I need a special heavy duty needle for my friend's sewing machine, and do I need some special thread?

- I use the same small needle that I use for silnylon b/c I'm too lazy to change it. Maybe a bigger one would be easier but I've only had one problem and I'm not sure it's due to needle size. My bar tacks always get tangled, so I just use X-boxes instead.

6. Will I most likely need to add a piece of yarn for drip strings now...in case the straps flip into a U shape? If so, where do I tie them on?

- If you're tying the Spectra to the webbing, put the yarn on the Spectra.

7. When sewing the loop on the end, will a box stitch w/an "X" in the middle be strong enough to hold?

- Yes. I usually double up the X-box, though.

8. Anything special I need to consider?

- Lots of stitches across the webbing will weaken it. 2-3 X-boxes should be plenty w/o weakening the strap.

JMHO - that's how I do it. I'm sure other ways will work, too.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Cool thanks! I just put an order in. Do I use normal thread for this? I thought I read somewhere that you buy better quality thread for like $5.00 or something, and it makes sewing way easier?

Thanks again.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cotton thread will rot. You want 100% polyester thread. The cheap stuff gums up the machine and it'll break easily as you're sewing. It's worth it for the more expensive stuff - I use Gutermann's...it's like $5/spool.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Great thread! After checking Jeff's buckle system I'm sold on it. Sure is nice to have someone work out the bugs ahead of time. That system just looks soooo convenient.

Miguel

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    My local Ace Hardware also sell nylon webbing for about .35 per foot for the 1". I have some of the 1" webbing from Ed Speer and I can't tell the difference between the two.

Tom Claytor uses 1/2" webbing to hang his hammocks so IMHO the 1 1/2" may be a little overkill and extra weight.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think nylon webbing is high memory stretch. That means you may not see a difference b/c it returns to its original position after you take the weight off. If you really want to test it, mark an inch on the webbing, then get in and have someone measure the marks to see if it's still an inch. Then do the same w/ Ed's webbing and compare the stretch.

But if it's working, no reason to change it!

Is Claytor's webbing tubular? For some reason I thought it wasn't just a single layer of webbing.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Is Claytor's webbing tubular? For some reason I thought it wasn't just a single layer of webbing.

I have never seen it in person so I couldn't tell you for sure. I was just relaying what I read on the site. There is a pic of the webbing and it does look thicker than normal.

I bought some of the 1" double layer webbing in the climbing section of my local outfitters. I made a set of tree huggers from it, but they were so much heavier that the normal webbing I don't use them.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images

Buckles

The problem with the buckles is they are only $2.00 each but the shipping is $8.00. So if you only need 2 of them they are quite expensive. Has anyone bought up a bunch of them they would sell with a little less expensive shipping?
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast