Tarp
    OES std/DD Hattarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & CrowsNest
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    That is because the load of your body weight is spread out over more of the hammock when you are laying versus sitting. That causes the angle(s) of the hammock fabic to change. This is more difficult to visualize when the ridge line is attached directly to the hammock knots as opposed to a ridge line that is attached a few inches above the hammock knots.

We often state that a structural ridge line sets the sag angle but that is not exactly right. It sets the ratio of the ridge line length to the length of the hammock fabric (plus any suspension line) that it is attached in parallel with. How you distribute the weight (sitting versus laying and also laying down the center line versus laying on diagonal) while you are in the hammock causes the angle(s) of the fabric to change and this in turn changes how much force is on the ridge line.
    *slaps forehead* Thanks Dave! Excellent explanation. Now I'm having a 'duh' moment.

I still think it's interesting that the force diagrams can't fully explain the ridgeline tension vs. comfort question. My gut tells me it has to do with the fact that the models (at least the ones I've seen so far) idealize the human body as a point load. In reality, we're complicated assemblies of different weight pieces of meat attached by hinges. (Hey, I'm a civil engineer -- not a doctor.) Getting a better handle on the weight and distance ratios of the pieces might explain it and be useful for figuring out the ideal hammock end cut shape too.

Maybe if I get really bored someday I'll build a "simple" pressure distribution from something like this.... http://www.smf.org/articles/hic/USAARL_88-5.pdf. After that I'll just fire up the finite element program and... wait, would this earn me credit towards my Bachelors of Hammockology?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I just throw up my suspension at arm length, eyeball it and then wiggle around inside the hammock until I feel just right.
    I do that too. And the fact that the equations don't keep me awake is what makes me an engineer and not a scientist.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Youngblood - really nice to see you back. It's been a while and I missed your insight as in this post. I have seen all the diagrams and gone through the math with TeeDee and my GF and I know they understand what is happening, but you stated it so well that I think I'm understanding it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    That is because the load of your body weight is spread out over more of the hammock when you are laying versus sitting. That causes the angle(s) of the hammock fabic to change. This is more difficult to visualize when the ridge line is attached directly to the hammock knots as opposed to a ridge line that is attached a few inches above the hammock knots.

We often state that a structural ridge line sets the sag angle but that is not exactly right. It sets the ratio of the ridge line length to the length of the hammock fabric (plus any suspension line) that it is attached in parallel with. How you distribute the weight (sitting versus laying and also laying down the center line versus laying on diagonal) while you are in the hammock causes the angle(s) of the fabric to change and this in turn changes how much force is on the ridge line.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Youngblood - really nice to see you back. It's been a while and I missed your insight as in this post. I have seen all the diagrams and gone through the math with TeeDee and my GF and I know they understand what is happening, but you stated it so well that I think I'm understanding it now.
    Thanks TiredFeet.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    not sure yet
    to many smart people here for me lol lol but im sure i will be in the same boat when i get mine so just to say i read this entire thread and loved it thanks guys for doin all the brain work,,, hopefully i will just hang my wbbb and the rest will take care of itself lol lol lol if not well i will come here for the info thats for sure

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I'm a truck driver, but sometimes I think I'm an engineer when I look in my mirror and see twenty cars behind the truck as I navigate curvy roads. Many thanks to engineer hammockers, who analyze hammock suspensions and the forces exerted in hammock nirvana. Thank you engineers. I like when complicated formulas are simplified into easy to understand rules of thumb. Now I'm gonna have to install a train air horn on my truck, then I will be an engineer. Thanks Engineers.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    OP I feel your pain. I struggle every single time I set up my WBBB. Either my ridge line is super tight or super saggy and I cant seem to get the "hang" of it. Eventually, I say that's good enough and give up.

Hammock
    wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    blinged out SF
    Insulation
    hg o deg +2 uq tq
    Suspension
    straps and buckels
    Hey All,
    I kinda felt it too and I'm thinking of starting to take a 6 inch torpedo level and a 99 cent protractor

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by crappieyaker View Post
    ... I'm thinking of starting to take a 6 inch torpedo level and a 99 cent protractor
    Or you could get a TatoGear Hangle from Dutch.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    With the ridgeline you don't have to pay so much attention to the hang angle... Just pay attention to the tension on the ridgeline and the hang angle will be golden. To adjust ridgeline tension you adjust the length of your suspension, not how far it is hung up the tree... The only time the height will come into play is if you need to loosen the suspension to reduce tension on the ridgeline and the hammock ends up on the ground. More weight in the hammock equals more tension but, for me, I find that having the unloaded tension on the ridgeline at a place where I can grab it and fold it a palm thickness at 90* puts me at the right amount of tension when I'm in the hammock. The right amount of tension in the hammock is shown in one of Brandon's videos on WB's website. Don't know if that description is clear but I can work on adding a picture if need be...

Somebody recently started a thread with video on adj the suspension to achieve the right tension.
    May have been papasmurf? Or a name close to that. Search it up. Was a good explanation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast