Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch

Ridgeline Tension

I just got my blackbird in the mail today and went outside to set it up. After final adjustments I looked at the ridgeline tension and it seems far too tight. It is "guitar string tight". So to correct this do I need to hang it higher? The hammock seems to be hanging at a 25 degree angle.
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Web strap
    The video on the warbonnet site says 30 degrees. I too just got my WBBB and am still tweaking the set up well i am getting practice with it and 30 seems to be the right number for me

Hammock
    WBBB1.7 dbl,
    Tarp
    OES DL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Have a look at the diagrams below. A smaller angle increases the ridgeline tension dramatically.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl/DIY
    Tarp
    OES std/DD Hattarp
    Insulation
    Burrow & CrowsNest
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    This brings up something that's been on my mind.

As the force diagram shows, the angle of the suspension only effects the tension in the ridgeline -- not the fabric. So why then does getting the right angle make such a difference to the comfort of the lay?

In theory, if the WBBB had a slightly shorter RL you hang it "guitar string tight" and get a perfect lay every time.

(I fully expect that this theory is wrong. I'm hoping someone can explain why. Something to do with being able to shift your body weight when in the hammock maybe?)

Apologies if I'm treading over old ground here.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch
    I went back outside and hung the tree huggers as high as I could get them to get a steeper angle (30-35 degrees). Still was too tight. I am going to try it again tomorrow on a different set of trees and see if I get better results.
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    gakayaker, going to different trees doesn't strike me as being the corrrect path to solve your problem.

I don't have a WB so MAYBE I'm all wrong (usually so)

I hang my Hammock to two trees and then adjust the tension on each side till I get my ridgeline sorta level. The Ridgeline tension is a consequence of how tight I take up on the hammock.
    If I have a loose, saggy hammock; my RL is loose and saggy.
    Is this not the case with your WB?
    Tom

Hammock
    WBBB1.7 dbl,
    Tarp
    OES DL
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matto View Post
    This brings up something that's been on my mind.

As the force diagram shows, the angle of the suspension only effects the tension in the ridgeline -- not the fabric. So why then does getting the right angle make such a difference to the comfort of the lay?

In theory, if the WBBB had a slightly shorter RL you hang it "guitar string tight" and get a perfect lay every time.

(I fully expect that this theory is wrong. I'm hoping someone can explain why. Something to do with being able to shift your body weight when in the hammock maybe?)

Apologies if I'm treading over old ground here.
    I invite you to walk in my shoes f or a while. I' am a Dutch civil engineer and think that my pictures of the equilibrium of forces at the end of the hammock are right.

Gakayaker is the ridgeline that tight prior to you getting in the hammock or after you get in the hammock?
    Also how high off the ground is the hammock? Chair height? Higher or lower?
    Also what is the distance span of the trees that you are using? The farther apart the tree's the higher up the suspension would need to be on the tree's!
    Having a tight ridgeline is fine, but too tight and you run the risk of snapping it when loaded, also the 30* angle is very subjective, meaning it varies from person to person, but the 30* angle is not a requirement to hang effectively! This was mostly started as a result of people hanging their hammock suspension guitar string tight and were having major problem's!
    You will get it, it just takes some time setting it up, a lot times of setting it up to get it where you need/want it to be! I'm sure you know, but, there is a bigger learning curve to hammock's than there is with tenting, but with practice (and maybe a little help, from this great place that we all visit (HF)) you'll get it straightened out!!!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't know if this will help, but here's one way I tackle the "hanging" part of the puzzle.

After my initial stringing up of the hammock (WBBB), I "eyeball" the angle of the suspension to approximate 30 degrees from horizontal and adjust Whoopie sling length and tree strap height if needed. My ridgeline is the "telltale" as to correct pitch as follows:

When the hammock is empty, the ridgeline is straight (more or less) to a bit droopy and has no real tension in it. When I sit in the middle of the hammock, the ridgeline tightens up and straightens out but is still able to be deflected (it's NOT tight). When I stretch out in the hammock, the ridgeline tightens up and is ideally a bit less than "guitar string" tight...varying to more deflectable with a hand twist if I have a bit more than 30 degree suspension angle.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjalling Weideman View Post
    I invite you to walk in my shoes f or a while. I' am a Dutch civil engineer and think that my pictures of the equilibrium of forces at the end of the hammock are right.
    PMFJI... TW, I believe matto was commenting on his own theory, not challenging yours. Seemed to me he was just trying to square his inuition with what you'd posted.

A little search through old posts here will uncover more than anyone in their right mind -- we engineers excepted, of course! -- would ever want to know about the force diagrams.

Thanks for participating!
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast