Indoor Hammock & Setup Suggestions?

Hey there everyone,
    I'm a new convert to hammocking so I was hoping that some of you senior hammockers could help me out.
    I'm a student, and I'm moving out this fall so I didn't want to lug a giant bed all the way to my university. An indoor 'hammock bed' seems to be the best choice! Any support out there for indoor, full-time hammock sleeping? Any complaints?

My question though is what to do?

From what I gather a Brazilian hammock is the best for indoor sleeping ... True?
    I can buy one online, I found this one for $50 total
    http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/pr...oIt-_-Shop-_-A
    Or would it be just as good to make my own with a sewing machine and some regular fabric from a store? Is there real merit to a "real Brazilian hammock" vs a home-made hammock?

... I'm also going to have to find a way to build an indoor hanging system so as not to have to drill holes in any rented walls ...

Thanks for any suggestions, I'm going to need em!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you purchase that one... look into getting the hammock stand that fits it. Then there will no reason to drill holes in the walls. As far as a Brazilian style.. others are better able to comment on that issue. I slept full time in a hammock for quite a while as do a number of others on the forums. It can be quite comfortable.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Brazilian hammocks are my favorite, hands down. I sleep in one every night that I sleep inside at home. The problem with them is what Rev pointed out; a stand that fits. Brazilian hammocks like a lot of sag so your mounting points should be significantly higher than on a typical 'camping' hammock. They also tend to be longer by a good margin. Ten feet is about as long as camping hammocks get, but Brazilians start out around 10 or 12' long. Factor that in with the sag requirements and you need a lot of space to hang one.

I spent my first year as a full-time hammock sleeper in several different hammocks. Settled on the TrekLight Double. It was quite comfortable, even for an old guy like me. For a young student I imagine it would be more than sufficient for a long term sleep solution. Much easier to find a stand that will work for one of those than it is finding one that will work AND FIT for a Brazilian.

Plus, that will motivate you to graduate. When you're done and have to enter the 'grown-up world' (do not rush this BTW, it stinks), you'll have the space to get yourself a good Brazilian. When that time comes, do yourself a favor and spend at least twice as much as $50 on a Brazilian. You get what you pay for applies to the hammock world too.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts