Tarp
    OES Sil MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY Karo TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Are Asym hammocks cut asymetrically?

On my walk to work this morning I was pondering the Hennessy asym, the Warbonnet footbox and the cut of the fabric of these hammocks. Are these hammocks made from fabric cut in a rectangle, or a parallelogram? It seems a parallelogram with channels at the end (see picture) would encourage a nice flat diagonal lay when gathered and hung.

Have I re-invented the wheel here? My Hennessey is melted together at the ends, and I've never seen a Warbonnet BB up close...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I think you have reinvented the Switchback Hammock from Tree to Tree Trail Gear!

I'm going to try it on my next DIY hammock.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The HH is a rectangle, with a parallelogram bugnet. It derives it's asym shape from the net.

The WB fabric base is also a rectangle, but with an extra fabric triangle sewn on the side (footbox). So, it has a symmetrical bugnet (including the shelf space).
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Is the Switchback sewn asymmetrically? I thought the whole point was that it was symmetrical and you can lay on any angle you want.

I actually had the same thought, and the next time MrsMustardman makes a warbonnet-whipped hammock she's probably gonna try the parallelogram idea and see what happens.

Edit: I actually went and dug up the original Switchback introduction thread, and found this. I'm still not sure if it's a parallelogram, or something different - will keep digging and see what I find.

Edit 2: After further reading, I was incorrect and the Switchback is definitely asymmetrical. The trick is that you can flip yourself around, and put your feet where your head just was, and have the same lay, but your feet would still be to the right and head to the left, regardless of which side you chose as the head end, if you laid according to the attached tieouts.

That still doesn't answer the question of whether it's cut as a parallelogram or some other unique shape, but helps clarify a bit at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    The Switchback is cut to minimize shoulder squeeze and to allow for a good flat diagonal lay or a comfortable lay straight down the center line. In short, the Switchback is not cut rectangularly.
    Last edited by Mustardman; 06-08-2010 at 15:19.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Is the Switchback sewn asymmetrically?
    No, I don't think so... the OP's drawing is a symmetrical parallelogram.

Such a hammock would be "handed" in that it would favor one diagonal over the other. I believe that is the case with the Switchback.

Caveat: I may not have a clue as to what I am talking about.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    No, I don't think so... the OP's drawing is a symmetrical parallelogram.

Such a hammock would be "handed" in that it would favor one diagonal over the other. I believe that is the case with the Switchback.

Caveat: I may not have a clue as to what I am talking about.
    Except for the special case of a rhombus, a parallelogram does not have symmetry. Or, to say it more precisely, it doesn't have bilateral symmetry, which is what we generally mean with hammocks. It does technically have rotational symmetry, but that's not what is generally understood when one uses the word "symmetry" without qualifiers

/mathgeek

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Except for the special case of a rhombus, a parallelogram does not have symmetry. Or, to say it more precisely, it doesn't have bilateral symmetry, which is what we generally mean with hammocks. It does technically have rotational symmetry, but that's not what is generally understood when one uses the word "symmetry" without qualifiers

/mathgeek
    Huh?
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I think you have reinvented the Switchback Hammock from Tree to Tree Trail Gear!

I'm going to try it on my next DIY hammock.
    I'm thinking you could get the same effect with appropriate gathering of the ends. Gotta locate some spare fabric to try this.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    borrowed hammock!
    Insulation
    North Face 0* bag

/mathgeek
    LOL i thought this was supposed to be a family friendly site? on the other hand, this is a language i actually understand!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frawg View Post
    I'm thinking you could get the same effect with appropriate gathering of the ends.
    I imagine that somehow, like Schrodinger, I will come up with the right equation on the first try. With a parallelogram pattern, such a gathered end becomes precisely reproducible: run the whoopie through the channel, gather and toss a clove hitch behind the knob. It's the same every time!

Mustardman, of course, you are correct... I was guilty of baiting the math geeks!
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast