sleeping bag to sleeping pad

Hello, all.

I'm new to the forum and new to the whole hammocking thing. I am trying to figure a way to make a sleeping pad using a ccf pad inside of a sleeping bag.

I don't care for the feel of the pad but it shapes to the bottom of the hammock nicely. I like the feel of a sleeping bag but it's so slick that it's hard to get it into position and it is generally a pain.

My idea is to use the sleeping bag like a pillow case over the ccf pad. I intend to use contact cement to position the pad in place in the bag, both top and bottom.

I don't know the name of the material that is a perforated rubbery sheet that keeps stuff from sliding around on shelves, etc, but I intend to contact cement that material to the bottom of the sleeping bag to prevent it slipping and sliding around in the hammock.

Any reason that this plan may not work as I expect?

Tnx in advance.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    welcome to HF frog.

when you say "use the sleeping bag like a pillow case" it sounds like you're describing some thing like the big agness (BG) bags.
    but when you talk about using the cement, it appears that you plan to still have the bottom of the bag (including insulation) beneath you, w/ the thin pad glued to the out side of the bag.

storkurt recently bought some liner used in tool box drawers from sears that might do the job.
    but the thinlight pads from gossamer gear (GG) probably wouldn't cost much more & be more flexible maybe have a little better R value.

and people have been using "Barge Cement" w/ good results on ccf pads.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Don't glue the pad to the inside of the bag, but try sewing in a sheet to make a pocket for the pad. This is a better approach and allows removal of the pad so the bag can be cleaned.

Egads

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Don't glue the pad to the inside of the bag, but try sewing in a sheet to make a pocket for the pad. This is a better approach and allows removal of the pad so the bag can be cleaned.

Egads
    Good idea. I'll approach it from that angle. Thanks.

Is there any kind of adhesive tape made for ripstop material that I could use to tape a pocket into the bag, to eliminate sewing?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frog View Post
    Good idea. I'll approach it from that angle. Thanks.

Is there any kind of adhesive tape made for ripstop material that I could use to tape a pocket into the bag, to eliminate sewing?
    you could try some type of tape but i'd be pretty uncertain about it being able to hold against the forces involved.
    if you're determined to try a no sew method, it's possible that the barge cement might still be your best bet.
    but i've never done anything like that, so do it at your own risk
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Mostly its not likely to be suitable to tape in anything. The closest thing might be something like C3 sailtape, but its really intended for low porosity, low stretch fabric like spinnakers are made of.

My concern with tape is that if it doesn't work you're going to have a sticky icky mess you can't get off the bag very easily if at all...

I think it'd be easier to attach the pocket on the outside of the bag... and it'd be best sewn on... But you're free to try other options, let us know if you find something that works!

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    How about using one of those non slip mats for area rugs to lay in your hammock and then putting your pad on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Mostly its not likely to be suitable to tape in anything. The closest thing might be something like C3 sailtape, but its really intended for low porosity, low stretch fabric like spinnakers are made of.

My concern with tape is that if it doesn't work you're going to have a sticky icky mess you can't get off the bag very easily if at all...

I think it'd be easier to attach the pocket on the outside of the bag... and it'd be best sewn on... But you're free to try other options, let us know if you find something that works!

I needed to haywire something together just to see if it will work.

What I have done is this: I opened a flat poly insulated Wal-Mart, el cheapo sleeping bag all the way open and centered a military surplus ccf pad on the inside, bottom of the bag. I simply duct taped the pad all the way around the perimeter of the pad to the bottom of the bag. I then zipped the bag shut and folded the end opening closed and taped it.

I essentially have a three layer pad. A layer of quilted nylon, a 3/8" layer of ccf foam in the center and another layer of quilted nylon. The pad is fastened to one of the layers. That layer is the bottom layer.

It works great. The pad provides enough stiffness that the sleeping bag is easy to move into the right position while standing in the bottom entry. It still has enough flexibility that it conforms nicely to the bottom of the hammock.

A couple of pads of the non skid shelf liner stuff 6"X6" placed at the center ridge in the bottom keeps everything from slipping down to the lowest point

I already had the ccf pad (a freebie) and I paid less than $10.00 for the bag, so if it passes the overnight sleeping test, I don't mind cutting the bag to a friendlier shape to try to learn some sewing skills.

The pad could also be loosely stitched to the bag with tufting stitches. That would do away with the need for tape or glue.

A huge bonus is that the pad adds enough rigidity to the bottom that there is no longer any shoulder wrap and the sweet spot seems much bigger. The sleeping bag has a much more comfortable sleeping surface than either the pad or the hammock.

Since the pad is only fastened to the bottom of the sleeping bag, a pocket is left between the ccf pad and the top layer of the bag, where a radiant reflective pad could be inserted.

I can just see all you Uliters cringing as I describe adding unneeded weight and ignoring reliability. Keep in mind though that I don't backpack anything and if something quits working, I can be home or at least in a dry car real quickly.

I may camp 4 times a year, so buying first rate gear just isn't cost effective. I'm already thinking about an underquilt made from a sleeping bag.

As an aside, do those awl looking gizmos that stores the thread in the handle
    really work? I don't care if it's slow, within reason.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Also have a look at a two layer hammock...might fit your needs in a different way.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts