Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ix Kaq?

Ix Kaq?

Hey guys, I made a rough UQ today and decided that the DIY KAQ is probably going to be the easiest way for me to get insulation under my HH clone. I also have a good amount of IX, enough to make two single layer UQs (making one for a friend.) I was thinking I'd then add the scraps from the side of IX to the torso section to double layer it up so that it's warmer and nothing is wasted.

I am also thinking about adding a layer of cheap polyester batting to this, because I already have it and I can't afford anything else. Probably between the outer layer of ripstop (not going to use an inner layer) and the IX.

So does anyone see any problem with using the KAQ pattern with Insultex? I know it's fussy and I have almost zero experience with underquilts, so I don't want to waste my material and time.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    I am far from being a expert. But I believe that it can be done. Perhaps some more knowledgeable folks will chime in.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    I think )hope) that IX is a wonderful material to use as UQ.
    You're going in the right direction.
    Macintyre is my IX guru so he'll pipe in I trust.
    What is the purpose of the poly?
    typing with a cat on my lap ain't esdy. She wants ... demands...attention...
    I don't see any purpose. The ripstop is enough. IX can be used witout any exterior covering. If no covering I'd use grosgrain to add resiliency to the UQ
    Tom

Poly is to add insulation. Not sure I'll do it, I need to see how much IX I have (can't remember off the top of my head.).

I know ripstop can be used without covering but I want to extend the range of temperature without buying more IX and give it a little protection from wind and dew.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    AHE sells his KAQ's with the option of having IX inside, so it is doable and workable. I have one of his and it allows you to use the three season KAQ in a bit lower temps than without the IX.

Well I'm almost done, been working on it all day. I thought ahead and made a template out of ripstop so that I didn't have to repeat measurements, then I cut out the shell and insultex from the template.

I'm doing things a little differently than the KAQ way. I'm hemming the IX and the shell, then attaching the draw cord channels to the shell, then sewing the IX across the shell and channels so that the channels have two lines of stitching, IX will have one (I'll double up on it later if it doesn't look reliable) and all the edges will be hemmed.

Here's a shot of the shell, IX beneath it, and the IX scraps on top. I'm going to sew those together into a rectangular pad which I'll orient where my torso will be for a little extra insulation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I don't like using IX with a drawstring. It bunches up and creates channels that become cold, and funnel that cold right down into the UQ.

It's far better to dart IX than to gather it.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Well, I finished the UQ yesterday. Haven't had a chance to set it up yet because I had some unexpected family stuff to deal with. Maybe ill get a chance tonight.

I ended up darting the ends a little because they came out bigger than the shell. Hopefully that adds enough bulk to prevent drafts. It also looks like it was sewn by a drunken monkey, so if it's not pretty I hope it at least works!

Thanks for the advice Mac. If I find the IX too finnicky to deal with, I might just buy one from you and save myself the frustration of trying to build another. what kind of lead times are you looking at for your UQs?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by booone0 View Post
    what kind of lead times are you looking at for your UQs?
    2 weeks or less...

I did not mean to give you a tough assignment!
    Darting is easier than you think.
    IX is very forgiving.

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    does it become more difficult to fold with darts?
    easier to get into snake/tubes or not?
    or is the procedure to just stuff away as usual? (ie, into BbBag?)KM

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast