Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL & ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Leighlo 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Moronic Sewing Machine, or Moronic Sewer?

I have been working on a tarp, a simple square 10 by 8 tarp. I borrowed a sewing machine to do the ridgeline stitch while waiting for a part for my wife's machine to get in. The borrowed machine is no longer available to me.

The part (a presser foot post) came in, I got it installed and set up the machine to add the tie outs to the tarp. I'm using a nylon ribbon for the tie outs.

the machine (an older White model 1886) completed one side of the tie outs without difficulty...then on the other side, it completely chokes. The bobbin gets stuck and after the needle shoots through there a few times I've got several strands of bobbin feeding through the fabric, meanwhile the tarp hasn't advanced under the presser foot at all, and there's a massive knot of thread stuck down in the slot where the bobbin thread comes through.

I can't seem to figure out if the problem is the machine (bobbin tension or something else), the fabric I'm using (sometimes, just when making a bag, it does the same thing, other times it completes the stitching without incident), or the completely probable 1d10t error.

I realize there are many variables in play here, but any guidance that could be provided would be terrific, as I am getting very frustrated. My wife also mentioned that this problem was why she gave up sewing years ago. My mother, who has sewn as long as I can remember couldn't get this beast to behave properly either.

Maybe I need to replace the machine?

Anyway, I'm using a very light ripstop, coated, from WM, and a poly UV resistant thread (couldn't tell you the brand off the top of my head).

Hammock
    hh,warbonnet
    Tarp
    mac cat,diy
    Insulation
    JRB,ix underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie,dutch clip
    That's a tough question, but this has happened with my machine before. I use a 1950 gear-driven Singer. Here are some options for a quick fix, but of course, it might be something mechanical that needs a technician, or the problem could be something I'm not familiar with.
    1. The bobbin tension. I have a little screw on my removable bobbin case. I loosened that screw so the bobbin thread flows freely, and that prevents some hang-ups.
    2. Threading your machine properly. Are you sure that you are threading your sewing thread through each appropriate place in the right order? I was getting clumps of thread, tangles, broken needles, and jammed up fabric all because I was threading one part backwards, but sometimes, it would sew just fine while improperly threaded.
    Sometimes (rarely) you can find antique manuals online, but that might be harder for non-Singers. Antique and vintage machines are more complicated to thread than any made past 1975, so give it a good look.
    3. Fabric thickness/lowering your presser foot. There should be some kind of screw on your machine that lowers or rises your foot to accommodate thinner and thicker fabric. This doesn't sound like your problem, however, since you were able to sew one side without issue.

Also, it never hurts to carefully take apart your bobbin assembly, if you are able, and see if something is damaged or caught in there. Good luck!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Sounds fairly normal. Don't blame yourself.
    Try to rethread everything, make sure there are no little pieces of thread stuck behind the bobbin. Make sure you have a new sharp needle. As your present may be bent, even a tiny bit, it will throw off your machine. Adjust your top tension, usually looser for thicker items, but sometime it may need to go tighter.

Especially with thicker materials, take your time a work slow. Make sure your using the proper stitch and stitch length, shorter stitch lengths work best on my White for thick materials.
    If its messing up still after these attempts, adjust lower tension, a little at a time.
    Stop and try some scrap fabric, if it sews then, it just the webbing being difficult. A new needle will correct most of my similair problems. Clean it, check the needle, re-thread.
    Make sure it is threaded correctly.! Its normally something simple thats being overlooked.

Good luck, if you still got problems, let us know.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Is your thread that really thick stuff? If it is change it out and see if it works with smaller diameter thread. My machine refuses to run with the thick uv resistant thread, just a thought.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    homemade speer
    Tarp
    Homemade MacCat
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Suspension
    ring buckle, strap
    Images
    I wouldn't scrap the machine until you know for sure what the problem is.

Try good quality thread and a brand new needle first.

Try adjusting the thread tension. If it is making a bird's nest in the bobbin, then it could be that your bobbin tension is too tight, or the spool thread tension is too loose.

If that fails, I would take it to a repair shop. It could be out of time, or it could be just plain worn out.

I have an old singer treadle machine made in the 1930's (i think) that does the same thing sometimes. I hate to just give it up, because it is such a heavy duty machine. I have used it to sew through a dozen layers of canvas at a time (no joke!), but a couple of weekends ago, I found a singer model 7033 on a garage sale for $25 with all the attachments and special purpose feet. It is a newer model made in the 1990's and is partially plastic. I know it won't punch through a dozen layers of canvas, but wow, does it ever work well on ripstop nylon! I can almost keep the stitches in a straight line now!
    If you keep an eye on garage sales, craigslist, or ask family members, you might be able to find one for a very reasonable price, or even for free! If you have a facebook account, make your status line say that you are looking for a good used sewing machine.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    I did this once....I somehow accidently pulled the lever lowering the pressure plate, and couldn't figure out why my fabric was stuck, and the needle made great big loops going nowhere. I have learned to sew since then, but still do stupid stuff. Good luck, and keep the machine for now.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I know this sounds like a stupid thing to check, especially when the tie outs did well at first... but just in case... make sure the feed dogs are engaging. Most machines have a way in which the feed dogs can be lowered out of the way. You may have inadvertently lowered them somehow. It sounds to me like the tarp is not moving through the machine and that sounds like the feed dogs have disengaged.

Edit: An additional thing to check, according to the wife is the thickness of the fabric is not allowing the presser foot to fully lower properly. This will mess up the spool thread tension and also disengage the feed dogs. It is a very common error which would usually go unchecked because you _think_ you have lowered the presser foot but is just plain hasn't gone down enuf to let the machine work properly because the fabric is too thick.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 06-09-2010 at 13:50.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL & ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Leighlo 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Folks, thanks for all the suggestions. I just got home from a long day and I'll start trouble shooting with your ideas tomorrow.

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Just another thing to check as well. I have done this probably more times than I care to admit. Installing the needle backwards will royally foul the machine: skipped stitches and/or nasty thread balls. Make sure the flat part ???base??? of the needle (the non-pointy bit) is facing the correct way.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Is your thread that really thick stuff? If it is change it out and see if it works with smaller diameter thread. My machine refuses to run with the thick uv resistant thread, just a thought.
    I just started learning to sew as well and when I started I bought a spool of the 78 wt UV poly thread from WM. I was able to sew with it but had many of the problems you mentioned w/ thread tangling underneath etc... I ran through that spool and have since switched to a 40 wt. & man what a difference. This stuff is much easier to sew with!

For you sewing veterans - does the 40 wt thread significantly weaken my diy gear that will be under load (hammocks, jerry chairs, etc...)?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast