Has anyone reviewed hennessy hammoks?

Hi all! I'm new to hammoks and I was looking at the thread for hammok newbies and I found this link: http://hennessyhammock.com/specs-expeditionasym.html. It's cheap enough for me and includes all the stuff
    I want, but has anyone else used their hammoks?

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, Origin8. Many have the HH Expedition and there is a forum topic on HHs here (look under "Forums" above). I have an Expedition with a zipper mod from 2Q/ZQ (2Q is a member here, ZQ (Zipper Queen) is his wife and does the zipper mods). IMHO, the zipper mod pretty much doubled the usability of the Expedition.

The stock tarp works but most folks like a larger tarp. The tarp is made to attach to the suspension lines but when done this way, the tarp sags when you get in the hammock. Many folks just attach the tarp to the trees instead. This works well unless there's wind driven rain which the small tarp, being further away from the occupied hammock, won't block well.

Many folks also replace the stock suspension ropes with webbing or whoopie slings to avoid tieing the knots to the tree huggers.

Overall, a good hammock but after you get used to it, you'll probably want to modify parts of the setup.

Since you're from Auburn (I grew up between there and Atlanta), listen to Southeastern Backpackers podcast where Rylan talks about getting into hammocking.

Actually i know ryland personally he works with my scout troop...he was the one who referred me to this site

and thank you very much for the welcome to the website...I'll try to be as informed as possible when I get my first hammok....well camping hammok that is! Thanks so much for your help!
    Last edited by Origin8; 06-12-2010 at 00:47.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I started with the Hennessy and did all the modifications that Jay mentions. Then I got a Warbonnet Blackbird, which I have stuck with and really like. Lots of reviews on it. I also like a larger tarp -- silnylon or spinn (if money allows). 11 x 10 size or something there abouts. Gives me many options for different setups. Also allows me to extend my camping season into colder weather because the larger tarp can be setup to block wind. And I can cook under it in rain.

Good luck with your search.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am also new to hammocks. A month ago I bought a HH EXPLORER DELUXE A-SYM ZIP with the SUPERSHELTER 4 SEASON INSULATION SYSTEM #2. I have slept in it nearly every night since then. Love it. Works great. Slept down to 35-42 F with no problem.
    Now I wish to buy a BB Warbonnet Hammock with all the setup.
    In doubt about what to do, go watch Shugs videos and search the forums.
    Best,
    Torben

Hammock
    hennessy,diy
    Tarp
    hex,diy
    Insulation
    uq,pad
    Suspension
    diy whoppie, tree
    I use the hh expedition,and with the exception of the small stock tarp, i love it. ive taken to attatching the tarp end with small bungee cords to the suspension, and has taken care of a lot of the sag, but still go for the large tarp if possible.

Haha thanks everyone I didn't expect a reponse that fast....so I guess I'm either gonna get the expidition or the warbonnet, idk I'll have to decide between those two...

1 more question:

Lol since I'm new to hammoks I was wondering about sleeping in them (my troop does the AT A lot) am I gonna be hot on the bottom with my sleeping bag (in it that is) or will I end up just normal?

(btw I have a 28 degree bag in case that changes anything)

Thanks again everyone!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I've had HH's since they first came out. Still have a couple of the old originals. Love my HH Exped with ZQ's Mod4 ... it's a wonderful ... wonderful hammock now. I recently made a DIY Jerry5 which is based on some of the BB's design features only longer ... and I have to say ... I love it because of the extra room. But you can't go wrong with the HH or the BB

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Origin8, I have a stock Expedition (no mods), and I quite like it. My only misgibing is I decided to try to save a bit of cash, and should have got the Explorer (which has since been ordered). I am impressed with how comfortable a hammock is, and the Hennessy has exceeded my expectations.

I would, though, add a larger tarp. If funds are tight, Hennessy has a PU coated nylon hex tarp for 69 bucks. Their silnylon tarp is 129.99. I bought the silnylon, and it changes the nature of the hammock incredibly. You get migh better coverage, and a nice place to sit under to retreat from the sun or the rain.

If you are interested in the Exped (that being you are under 6ft), pm me, as I will not require it once my Explorer gets here.

• + New Posts