Hammock
    Mikey C. Custom Hammocks
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Images

Ohio - Fall Hang

I'm generically starting the process for a Hang in Ohio. I am in the Dayton area and would love to find enough to do something interesting. I've gone to few local camp grounds and feel they are not "interesting" enough. Sure you can Hang but I want interesting surroundings.

So.... let me know what the interest is and on my side I'll start the process of finding a good Hang within 3 hrs drive time.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Did part of wildcat hollow recently it might be too hot in july for a group hang. I'd rather do one where there are places to swim along a trail if it's in the summer. I'm definately down for a fall hang.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    In Ohio IMHO there isn't much in the way of "interesting" but that may be due to my being to close to the problem, having lived in Ohio for over 50 years.

A few suggestions though:

Close to central (exit 45 on I 71) is Caesar creek, nice hiking trails, but the regular campground S***S, & the horseman campground is often PACKED, especially on weekends. I think you can't camp unless in a official campground, but I'm going to be in the area in a couple of weeks, so will stop in & ask at the ranger station.

A bit far from central, but the group campground is pretty nice & right on the lake AND the mt bike trail: Hueston Woods park in Oxford. There are still a few acres of virgin woods left there, & some nice multi use & hiking trails.

Boring scenery, & also far from central, Shawnee st park near Portsmouth has IMHO nice hiking trails, but as I said, I found the scenery BORING!

Eastfork state park, similar to Caesar creek, (ESE of Cincinnati) but you are allowed to camp at other than designated campgrounds, with 4 "Backcountry" camp sites. Sometimes the campsites have privys, sometimes they don't. Water has to be carried in to #1. #2 & 3 have water, I have not been to #4.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    The Hocking Hills area is pretty and relatively central. Tons of hiking to be done there as well as fishing, etc.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    In Ohio IMHO there isn't much in the way of "interesting" but that may be due to my being to close to the problem, having lived in Ohio for over 50 years.

A few suggestions though:

Close to central (exit 45 on I 71) is Caesar creek, nice hiking trails, but the regular campground S***S, & the horseman campground is often PACKED, especially on weekends. I think you can't camp unless in a official campground, but I'm going to be in the area in a couple of weeks, so will stop in & ask at the ranger station.

A bit far from central, but the group campground is pretty nice & right on the lake AND the mt bike trail: Hueston Woods park in Oxford. There are still a few acres of virgin woods left there, & some nice multi use & hiking trails.

Boring scenery, & also far from central, Shawnee st park near Portsmouth has IMHO nice hiking trails, but as I said, I found the scenery BORING!

Eastfork state park, similar to Caesar creek, (ESE of Cincinnati) but you are allowed to camp at other than designated campgrounds, with 4 "Backcountry" camp sites. Sometimes the campsites have privys, sometimes they don't. Water has to be carried in to #1. #2 & 3 have water, I have not been to #4.
    Hey Doc! Are ya goin to ceaser creek to hike? Let me know if ya want company.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 0° UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB Webbing/Dutch!
    One place I'd like to check out is the Shawnee Forest. It's probably the closest you're going to get to some of the offerings the other states have.
    Proving to the world that I can hang.

Hammock
    HH with 2Q/ZQ Mod 4
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Quilt/pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    We used to live in Huber Heights, OH. The places you mentioned bring back good memories. Good luck in getting your hang setup.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    We used to live in Huber Heights, OH. The places you mentioned bring back good memories. Good luck in getting your hang setup.
    Brick City!

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Check out this one http://backpackohio.com/symmesmorgan.html has water and some cool rock formations. It's National Forest so you can camp anywhere.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    Ohhhhh Wayne; and those of us with off road vehicles can do a ride!
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast