Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Also this was a crucial experiment. She's just ok'd me making one for her as well....
    Sneaky; very, very sneaky. I nominate you as my "Hero of the Day".

As an added bonus, the hammock looks great! I second alex30808's question. It looks like your girl was able to really get nice and flat.

Images
    Thanks!!!

And yes thats with the whipping as drawn. You can see the extra material in a single big fold in the photos. Basically I found the best diagonal was the one opposite the loose fold. So in the photo you can see her feet are at the opposite end of the big fold that's on that side of the hammock. I'll try to take some step by step photos when I make the next one.

It really does seem to lie very flat, and its amazingly comfortable, even more so than the basic even gather hammock. At least for me.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I asked that question because when I made my hammock...I started with a 120" X 60" square, Folded down 8" on the top left and going to nothing on the right top... folded up 8" on the bottom right and went to nothing on the bottom left... Folded the material in half long ways and then did the basic even gather then pulled the open side out a little like a speer type...this gave me the asym "pockets" at each end. I do look forward to your step by step photos on your next one...
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I just bought another pc of nylon from wally world...I'm going to have the edges sewn this week and I'll be attempting your design with it. I'll post some photos as I make it. I am only 5'6" (depending on the moon phase and how fast I jump out of bed...so sometimes..I am shorter..LOL)...and the material I am using is 120" long...think I seen this length from Jeff's site...wonder if I need to get another pc that's 140" long?
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Images
    It'll probably be fine, I'm 5'7"-ish and I used 144" just because its always possible to shorten, but much harder to lengthen the fabric. I'm surrently also using a fixed ridgeline that makes the hammock 10'6" between the suspension tie on points.

Very nice, close to a flat lay for anyone who tried it.

Images
    Ok so its a bit slow but I finally put together some photos of my whipping method. Step by step...

First I hem my fabric... In this case I usually use 144" x 60" for the raw fabric, after hemming its more like 141" x 57".

Then I whip the ends as shown below.

Step 1: Lay out the fabric with the "inside" up and the centre crease visible. Fold the right side in so it lines up with the crease.

Step 2: Fold in the right side again, bringing the "new" outer edge in so it lines up with the centre crease and the edge. Keep the edge and the just brought in fold all lined up.

Step 3: Repeat the above step with the "new folded edge"

Step 4: Repeat once more. At this point I find a spring clip or clamp is handy from this point on to help hold things as you work.

Step 5:Locate the point on the left half 20" in from the edge. In this case its 8.5" from the centre crease.

Step 6:Gather the fabric from the centre crease to the above point in a "w" type fold. trying to keep each fold about the same height as the right half folded section. Clip the folds all together.

Step 7 and 8: Take the remaining material (should be 20" of width) and fold the edge in to line up with the tops of the clipped folded sections.

Step 9: Bring the loop created by the 20" fold forward so its well clear of the folded area and start your whipping about an inch or so in from the folded ends.

Step 10: Tightly whip a number of turns over the end of the whipping line which is left in a loop. I make the turns as tight as I possibly can, and use waxed polyester whipping twine.

Step 11:While holding the whipping tight feed the loose end though the loop left by whipping over the starting end.

Step 12: Pull the tail of the loop so the loose end is drawn under the whipping. Try to get it about midway. Cut off loose ends if you like.

One end is now whipped.

Repeat process with other end, DO NOT mirror image it when you do it. You want the loose portion to be on opposite sides so you can lie diagonally and have an effective asymmetrical hammock. I find laying with my head and feet "opposite" the loose areas better distributes the load and feels more comfortable.

This is the process I used on the hammock shown in my gallery photos. So far my Dad and girlfriend have asked to have one made for them after lying in mine. I took these while making my Dad's... Happy Birthday Dad!
    Last edited by Rapt; 11-12-2007 at 16:25. Reason: Added photo, did write-up.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    nice clear illustration. i think i'll give that a try.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    I like it... If you hang with some sag, and get the sweet spot position, its basically flat, with a nice pocket around your feet and a little knee bend, and no shoulder squeeze, and holds your head in good alignment.

Let me know how it works out for you!

Images
    I'm not clear about the picture above step 10 - it looks like you added the edge of the unfolded side to the portion gathered by the clip, then folded the loop created by doing that toward the middle and include only a half inch of that fold in the whipping. Maybe a wider angle shot of that pic would clear it up.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'm not clear about the picture above step 10 - it looks like you added the edge of the unfolded side to the portion gathered by the clip, then folded the loop created by doing that toward the middle and include only a half inch of that fold in the whipping. Maybe a wider angle shot of that pic would clear it up.
    Yes I added the right edge that makes the long "loop" (about 10"deep) to the clip. (So there's about 1.5" material held in the clip.) Then I pulled the lower part of the loop forward out of the way of the whipping, so when its whipped its still a loose "loop" or pocket of fabric there.

Then I whipped the material about an inch in from the end where the clip is. If it looks like less that's just because its hard to hold everything in the right place and run the camera. The whipping itself is about 3/4" long.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast