Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Images

Asymmetrical Whipping revisited.

So after reading some threads and sewing up a "blank" hammock (144" x 60" hemmed rectangle) I decided to try some asymmetrical ideas.

First I tried gathering and whipping 40" and leaving 20" to be gathered with a cord wrapped around the corner and 40" up the long side. That seemed to have potential so I started pursuing it. I tried to sew that shape in... and had no end of troubles. With a cord the load was distributed and not stresses were an issue, with the gathers sewn in I had several failures.

SOOOO after much frustration I reverted to whipping options. I did about 6-or 7 different ones.

My last attempt was something I really like the feel of. I gather 40" as per one of the common options (typically something like the Hennessy style gathers) then take the 20" remaining and make a single big loop where the outside corner is taken back to the gather, but the rest is moved forward creating a pocket when whipped. Doing this on diagonally opposite corners gave me the most comfortable lay I've had in a hammock... Admittedly I'm new to this obsession, but it was really nice.

I had a nice bit of break over so my knees weren't over extended, I could lie with a leg crossed up or a knee out, or even on my side or stomach. My shoulders were flat side to side and my head even had a nice little bit of reduced pressure so it wasn't tipped forward so much.

Lying in bed last night I was noticing how much more UNcomfortable my mattress was. That's a first as that mattress is the best one I've ever slept on...

The only down side was I end up with some "sag" and floppy edges 4-6" at the head and foot points when I lie diagonally in the most comfy position. And a big wall of taut fabric farther along the sides from the floppy bits. At the head the flop falls in my face unless I hold it aside. I didn't have this problem with the cord gathered version, which also had a better foot pocket but a less comfortable upper body position.

So I'm wondering about cutting the fabric down, or putting tie outs on it to pull it out of my face, or some other option (like reverting to cords or elastic for the excess...)

Any ideas on what I can do? (pics could be obtained if there's interest...)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yep, I think pictures would help a lot here.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You've got me curious; pictures please.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    I gather 40" as per one of the common options (typically something like the Hennessy style gathers) then take the 20" remaining and make a single big loop where the outside corner is taken back to the gather, but the rest is moved forward creating a pocket when whipped.
    That is the part that I'd really like to see a picture of. I don't seem to have my imagination lid on today.

Images
    Pics would be nice.
    Also, I recall cannibal doing different whippings on each end. So you might use one that works better on the foot end and another on the head end and see how that works for you.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yeah schrochem is right and I didn't think about that. My main reasoning there was to deal with the empty void below your knees; actually the opposite of trying to get flat.

I used a "W" whipping on the foot end and the "standard" whipping on the head end (blame Just Jeff). The result was a flat and smooth surface for my torso to lie on and a hump at the foot end that did a pretty good job of providing support for bent knees.

However, this was a speer type hammock I was playing with. I don't know what the results would be with an Asymmetrical experiment, or if it would matter at all. I am planning to attempt an HH clone very soon so maybe I'll give it a try.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Actually......

Now that I'm thinking about it; I bet the 'W' could be fairly eaisly incorporated into an asym design. It would just be a matter of moving the center of the 'W' to an off-center position. You'd be stuck sleeping in one position, but that might be a really comfy position.

Images
    I think we're pretty close in idea to the same thing as the offset W... Something I was also thinking about.

Here's a rough sketch of what I did...

Actual photos won't be until tomorrow at the earliest. Busy tonight, going to the shooting range for my weekly relaxation.

I found the most comfortable diagonal was the one opposite to what I first expected.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm gonna have to play with this a little, but I think I get it.

Images
    Here's some photos of the hammock as it currently exists. Model is my girlfriend since its hard to be in the hammock and taking the photos...

(they're also in the gallery... still working on how to get them to show here from there...)

Also this was a crucial experiment. She's just ok'd me making one for her as well....
    Last edited by Rapt; 09-24-2007 at 12:17.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    Now is this with the whipping as you have it drawn?
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast