Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Hanging in a state/local campground

I was recently in a local campground with some friends who were RVing it. I set up my hammock and the ranger came by and asked me to take it down since anything that completely encircles a tree is not allowed. I didn't argue the point that this setup would not leave any noticeable mark let alone hurt the tree in anyway since he was just doing his job. I just waited until dark, setup, and then tore it down at first light but that's besides the point.

Anyways, does anyone have any thought on how to hang from a tree without going all the way around the trunk? How does one get around this rule? Educating the ranges would be nice but highly unlikely. Since it's car camping, weight is not an issue but I'm not going to bring a whole, freestanding rig.

My first thought was to tie off on a pipe, 2x4 or similar through the crotch of a tree but that would mean to tree the right distance with a good crotch in each. Not likely.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    A good Hammock stand is going to be the safest choice for the car camper.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Maybe taking some 1" dia. branch pieces 3-4 " long and inserting them under your webbing that goes around the tree might be a possible solution but more than likely not. You could discuss this with them at a time when you not camping and see if their open to changing their idea. Sometimes its easier from their end to make an across the board ruling to save having to mess with the whole thing. Good luck
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robanna View Post
    I was recently in a local campground with some friends who were RVing it. I set up my hammock and the ranger came by and asked me to take it down since anything that completely encircles a tree is not allowed. .
    Clearly the ranger would have preferred you to use a couple of rather large screw eyes into each tree, given the above statement.

It is sad that front line workers these days aren't given the leeway to exercise their own judgment when applying "the rules".

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogg Tyed View Post
    A good Hammock stand is going to be the safest choice for the car camper.
    Most hammock stands that I have seen would require a relatively level area to be setup on in order to hang the hammock properly. Not always possible at some car camping sites.

Cheers

Brian

Just a thought:
    Seems like you could insert something large and very cushy (like a large, rolled-up towel) into the loop that goes around the tree. If this were placed at the back side of the tree where the greatest tension is, you could explain that the loop was not encircling the tree, because it was being interfered with by the towel. Plus, the towel provides cushioning, without being so soft that you could not maintain a good tension for the hammock suspension.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    You might try what is done with rappelling and slack lines: a piece of closed-cell foam padding between the tree and the straps. Overkill? Most likely, but at least you can point out the extreme measures you are taking.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Were you using tree huggers?

If you tie off your suspension to both end loops on the tree huggers then they never totally encircle the tree (in terms of making contact with the bark).

If you weren't using tree huggers then I can understand the ranger's concern.

By the way, you're idea of tying off to a pipe or 2x4 in a crotch of the tree is very creative.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Assuming your experience was at a CO state park, it seems that no such rule exists: http://parks.state.co.us/Reservation...pingRules.aspx. In the future you might consider respectfully asking the ranger to see the rule -- they don't have the authority to make them up on the spur of the moment, although I assume they would be justified to prevent an unsafe act, rule or no rule.

I've had no problems in state parks in WA, OR, and CA, and never had a problem in a national forest campground.

There are some great ideas posted above that should put a reasonable regulator at ease. Unfortunately, there is no shortage of unreasonable regulators.

Hog Tyed, do you know of any sturdy, lightweight, and portable hammock stands?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I was at a state park last spring with friends. The two other couples have fifth wheel campers. My wife slept in one of them and I hung my hammock between them.
    I crossed two 2x4's on each end and tied to the lantern post and the back stop behind one of the campers. No trees involved.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast