Images

newb to hanging, not to camping.

hello all, my name is matt. im 29, married with three wonderful children. a 4 and 2 year old daughter. and a 1 year old son. i am a mobile electronics installer going on 11 years.

ill only get to go camping once or twice a year without the fam. so that is when i will be using the hammock. so i really dont want to invest alot of money into it. so my real question is, will it be cheaper to just buy a henneseey or make my own. im 5'11" and 190- 200 lbs. its going to need to have a bug net. i do most of my camping in the spring through fall months. i live in missouri. the weather is always different. if i make my own. i can scavange a rain fly for a tarp from an old 8'x8' dome tent i no longer use. im not scared to use a sewing machine, so making one is not a problem as long as its cost effective.

thanks in advance
    matt

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Welcome to the forum, tcr03. It is quite easy and cheap to make a DIY hammock, their are several sets of directions around, one is here on the forums, and another at Just Jeff's page.

Adding a bug net is harder. Though making or buying a tube that fits around the hammock can make that easier. Don't forget that you will also need some insulation under you in almost all conditions.

Images
    wouldnt a sleeping bag be enough insulation in the warmer weather. and whats hard about adding a bug net.

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings

Welcome

Matt,

I can't say anything about the DIY approach other than to express envy of the abilities of those who go that route.

For a first, affordable, and complete system I recommend the Claytor Jungle Hammock: http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ (first hammock and fly on the page). It's realitively inexpensive, nicely accomodates your existing sleeping pads for under insulation, has an integrated and roomly bug net (turn the hammock over if you don't need the net on a given night), is roomy, and comes with a fly -- all for $150, and a two-week wait for it to ship from Thailand. It will be ready to hang out of the bag, but you will likely want to replace the stock straps eventually.

I love my Speer outfit, but have more than $600 invested in the hammock, tarp, and underquilt -- all worth it. But, if you're trying hammock camping and are not sure, are on a shoe-string budget, think you will eventually upgrade (so you can hand down your first hammock to the wife or kid, or have a spare so a buddy can join you), or suspect you may turn into a hammock collector, a Claytor is a great way to start.

Good choosing,

FarStar

Images
    i can pick up a hennessy for under 100. that has a bug net, and rain fly built in. is that my best bet.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tcr03 View Post
    i can pick up a hennessy for under 100. that has a bug net, and rain fly built in. is that my best bet.
    Ignore the stock rain fly. Almost everyone replaces it with something better, for long term use.

Here are plans for a DIY HH, should you wish to go that route.

Lots of other choices besides HH, though... Take the time to go through the manufacturer's list on the front page, there are a lot of options to choose from. The more you read up, the more you'll understand.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by tcr03 View Post
    wouldnt a sleeping bag be enough insulation in the warmer weather. and whats hard about adding a bug net.
    Matt,

A good down or high-loft polyester sleeping bag will compress underneath you in a hammock and do you little or no good for bottom insulation. One thing you will find early on is how much heat you can lose through your back in an uninsulated hammock, even at a relatively warm temperature (e.g., 70F) and a cozy down quilt on top of you.

There are bug nets that fully envelop a hammock. Eagle's Nest Outfitters and Warbonnet Outdoors sell them. There may be others.

You will be well served to go to the video section and watch Shug's 10-part "Hammocking for Noobs." Lots of great information there. Another good source is Professor Hammock's 3.5-part series on hammock suspensions.

FS

• + New Posts