DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Please do not use gasoline to make your sil solution. Far too dangerous.

Mineral spirits and 100% silicone caulk will work when THOROUGHLY mixed in the right proportions. IMHO the dunk and squeeze method is best because it forces the solution through the fabric, saturating every thread.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...8&postcount=38

Partial text from above link:
    Waterproofed it tonight by dunking it in a mix of GE 100% clear silicone and odorless mineral spirits. The contents of one tube is 300g so I mixed it with 900g of spirits. Used a bent rod in a drill to mix the solution. Dipped and kneaded the tarp in the solution until it was all soaked. Hung one end of rigeline tie out to my hammock stand and then slid hands down the tarp as it came out of the bucket, squeezing out the solution. It's hanging out to dry. Will provide update tomorrow.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    D.I.Y Hex
    Insulation
    skin and fat
    Suspension
    Slap Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Please do not use gasoline to make your sil solution. Far too dangerous.

Mineral spirits and 100% silicone caulk will work when THOROUGHLY mixed in the right proportions. IMHO the dunk and squeeze method is best because it forces the solution through the fabric, saturating every thread.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...8&postcount=38

Partial text from above link:
    Waterproofed it tonight by dunking it in a mix of GE 100% clear silicone and odorless mineral spirits. The contents of one tube is 300g so I mixed it with 900g of spirits. Used a bent rod in a drill to mix the solution. Dipped and kneaded the tarp in the solution until it was all soaked. Hung one end of rigeline tie out to my hammock stand and then slid hands down the tarp as it came out of the bucket, squeezing out the solution. It's hanging out to dry. Will provide update tomorrow.
    yes well i dont have any fabric to make a tarp with right now. I couldnt find any that was light enough. I just couldnt buy heavy ripstop at joanns. So im just gonna use the tarp that i have now and try to patch up the siliconeless spots then get some sil in a couple of weeks. Unless i find some really cheap fabric some where that will work.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    D.I.Y Hex
    Insulation
    skin and fat
    Suspension
    Slap Strap
    LOL i really thought heavily about buying some polyester at joanns yesterday and waterproofing it.... I mean its light and fairly strong, esp once i get some silicone on it... but then i laughed and said NO.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you can get it at a reasonable price compared to sil I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    also quest has 2nds for $6.75 a yard......

it doesn't pay to go cheap sometimes ......
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    First off, that silicone+mineral spirits(aka, paint thinner) recipe is only (AFIK) for sylnylon, not ripstop which comes as uncoated or urethane coated.

Second, it is intended for sealing the seams, not the whole fabric (as a practical matter).

Third, NEVER, NEVER substitute gasoline for paint thinner!!! (just ask my cousin who blew up his house and wound up with 70% burns, almost dying several times while spending 8 months in a burn unit)

It's probably worth starting over, or buying one already made. Silnylon from the factory has impregnated threads with silicon, not coated.

I have seamed sealed 3 silnylon tarps over the last 8 years with straight GE silicone caulk, rubbed in thinly with a finger. Wish I has known about thinning it then, but they are still holding up. Flowable auto windshield silicone is supposed to work, and is what I will use next time.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    canoeski - The silicone+mineral spirits method is being used by a number of us to turn uncoated ripstop nylon into silnylon.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
    ... I have a big trip on wednesday and i REALLY need a tarp. ... Please help!
    Sounds like a job for a Gorilla Tarp.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=Gorilla+Tarp

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    canoeski - The silicone+mineral spirits method is being used by a number of us to turn uncoated ripstop nylon into silnylon.
    Hmmm, can you get it thin enough to be lightweight and flexible? Better than urethane coated nylon? I'm interested in anything new that works.

As I understand it, sylnylon is a weave of silicone impregnated thread. I don't know if that impregnation occurs before or after weaving.

Do you use a squeegee to force it in, or just thin it down to a light liquid and let it soak in?
    Not all who wander are lost.

Images
    If I read your post right, your original tarp was a non-silnylon tarp (probably polyeurethane coated nylon). silicone, and thinned silicone will not stick to polyurethane. that's why it's peeling off. You can silicone impregnate uncoated nylon, but it won't stick to the polyurethanted nylon, at least not well. That's why McNett sells two formulas of their seam sealer stuff, one for silnylon, and one for other normal tent fabrics.

There's a good chance that the places the sil is sticking to are the places that the polyurethane wore off. Try placing your tarp on a concrete surface and spraying it with water. maybe you'll be able to see the places that leak. That's just a thought.

--Matt

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast