Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

Aluminum Ring vs Cloth as Rain Stopper for woopies

So ive read in a couple of different places that people are starting to attach a chain link of amsteel to their hammock and an aluminum ring, then attaching the woopie sling to the ring in order to stop rain from coming into the hammock (Opies system I believe). Is the xtra weight and bulk of the ring really that more effective then a cotton drip strip of some sorts. Also are people using the aluminum rings from Pgibson KAQ website or are their lighter rings out their that can hold a safe load of a person. Ive just recently put on woopies and want to make sure that I use the most effective method possible of keeping my head and feet dry even if it adds a couple of xtra grams. Im having trouble imagining how a ring would be more effective or as effective as an absorbent piece of cloth hanging off of the wooppies. What are some advantages and disadvantages to useing a ring vs cloth? Or does it just come down to preference? I havent used either so any insight would be helpful
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Images

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For me, it was a choice driven mostly by esthetics. I don't want to have cotton drip strings on my rig!

The AHE rings weigh less than 1/2 oz. each so there is a small weight penalty for them compared to Amsteel. The SMC rigging ring (beefier than AHE's ring) weighs 26g., twice the weight of the AHE ring.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    Beep can you post a picture so I can see how this ring set-up looks. I'm a visual learner. Thanks!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kritter View Post
    Beep can you post a picture so I can see how this ring set-up looks. I'm a visual learner. Thanks!
    I'll try to get something from the "archives" but I'm out of town for the upcoming weekend so it may be a while. Methinks one of Shug's 10 video series has some footage on that arrangement.

As a poor substitute for a picture, here's a verbal description. I used AHE chain links to wrap around the end of the WBBB (replacing the existing suspension. The "free" end of the chain link is lark's headed to the ring. The fixed loop on the end of my Whoopie Sling is lark's headed to the same descender ring. When pitching, the descender rings are under the tarp ends. This isn't too hard to do since the hammock chain link to ring distance is only about 6 inches.
    Last edited by beep; 04-28-2010 at 13:56.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dble
    Tarp
    BWWD v2
    Insulation
    Incubator/UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchHook
    Images
    I am interested in seeing what is discussed in this thread as I just switched to whoopies as well. I am going to be ordering from AHE soon so I may have to add to this order depending on how this plays out. Hmmmmmm......I must wait and see.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I always found this problem to be overstated. I thru'd the AT in 2003 which has the dubius distinction of being the wettest May and June ever. It rained the entire state of Virginia and not once did I have the rain run down my suspension and wet my hammock. I was using a stock HH ULBA with the stock suspension and asym tarp. Since then I think I have used every suspension out there and I still don't find this a problem. I think the DD hammock had webbing that would absorb water and it would run with into the hammock easily, but I don't think anyone would really use that suspension. I'm not doubting those who have had this problem happen. Maybe we just have dryer rain on the east coast. So far I haven't had any problems with water running down the whoopie slings. I keep my bury end pretty close to the end of the hammock so there isnt a whole lot of room for some kind of device. I think the one down side of the whoopie sling is the length of the bury makes you minimum hanging distance grow and a ring would do that even more. If I tied a shoe lace to it I guuess I could put it on the bury. I also don't like the athstetics of the drip string. I'm just not sure there is really a solution needed here and extra hardware for a nonproblem doesn't sound like a solution. I guess the first time I get a wet hammock this will change.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

If you are looking for a pic/vid with this type of set-up (whoopie and ring) Shug has this very set-up in one of his vids, on his DIY hammock I believe? (just can't remember which vid?).
    Dutch,
    This is great news as you have a "LOT" more time in a hammock than I! I just switched to whoopies and I put the SMC ring in place using a chain link, then attached the whoopie to the SMC ring! I am just wondering that if/when it does rain the whoopie is exposed within which rain can run down the whoopie to the hammock, so I wonder if there is a more subtle way of diverting the possible water running down the whoopie than using an SMC ring or drip string/cloth?
    FWIW,
    I was out on the AT the other day in VA when we had a torrential hail storm, then torrential rain for a few hours, and I had the SMC ring and a small piece of rope tied to the chain link just after the SMC ring but before the hammock end, and no water got in to the hammock and such! Now whether that was due to the set up, or from just what Dutch has said, I will never know!? All I do know was I stayed dry, and warm, now my UQ got a little wet from splash up but the only thing that would have stoped that was either a much bigger tarp placed all the way to the ground, and or a weather shield!!!???
    LRR,
    Can't wait to see what you come up with, if it's better than what I got, I will most likely do the same as you!!!!! I am still learning, so threads like this really help not only me, but I am sure others as well!?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I keep my bury end pretty close to the end of the hammock so there isnt a whole lot of room for some kind of device.
    Dutch,
    Is your bury under the tarp? As I wonder if this is helping to divert it somehow? I'm not sure if I tied my whoopies directly to the hammock if the bury would be under my tarp? I might have to take a closer look at this! Do you think if it was under the tarp would this help or make a difference if it wasn't?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The bury is under the tarp and I imagaine the exiting string would divert some water run off. I don't know how much caplillary action you will get with amsteel but I imagine it would be less than webbing or spectra.
    Last edited by Dutch; 04-28-2010 at 14:44.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast