PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    What a bummer having to take your kids out for a good time hiking and camping. I know I know it's tough job and I know you'll have to just suffer through it.
    Best of luck. d:{)
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkrzyski View Post
    Man o man that looks like a great time!
    It was. We didn't rush it, just took our time. It's a good thing, too, because some of those rocks are slick. Both my boys turned their ankles a little, but nothing serious, just a tweak. The gorge reminds me of a little yippy dog I had as a kid. It likes to take a little nip at ya now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Wonderful pics! Thanks for posting!
    Thanks for looking. I was anxious to try some greenbriar after you pointed out the tendrils were edible. I love pointing out wild edibles to my kids, and they like it, too. We don't do shrooms, though. Anyway, I thought the greenbriar was similar to voilet leaves, but almost seemed like they were salty. And I ate off-trail and high on the vine, so I don't think it was seasoned with dog juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I "lichen" the way you think!

My daddy took me in the Big Ditch the first time back in the 60's and here I am still going back. Great memories and bonds "you be forming" with those boys.
    They seem to be developing a good appreciation for the outdoors. I lived in th e woods growing up. I can only go so long sitting in an office before I have to get a fix. That's probably why we bought our house in the middle of the woods. I need to see green.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickery View Post
    Looks like you got some good views,what a place! Hickery(formerly of Mt Holly)
    It's really pretty up there. Mt. Holly. You and Shug were my neighbors and I just didn't know it. What a shame!

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    Yeah, Mom would love those pictures of the kids dangling out on the end of the rocks (just above another rock)
    Shhh, Slowhike, you're gonna give away all my secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Them fellers had a high ol' time. I know that rock!!!!!!!!!!
    My Dad took me to the Gorge as well.
    Shug
    They sure did. We had a good time cooking and eating up there, too. It was a real workout for the windscreen. The wind came from all directions, but we got it done, had a good meal, and a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry_Dodson View Post
    Looks like yall had a great time and now some great memories. Can you tell me more aobut the heart rock?
    It was just a lichen covered rock somewhere up there on the summit of Hawksbill. My oldest son found it. It was natural and not painted.

Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Yeah! You're meat!!
    She's already seen. I got off with a frown.

Quote Originally Posted by mtncmpr View Post
    Glad you had a good time with the kids Salty!
    (I'm looking to getting my kids (son-30 and daughter-24) back up this fall with me. Can't wait!)
    I know you'll have a great time. As soon as my oldest son's Blackbird comes in, we're going down in the gorge for a weekend trip. A day trip is nice, but several days are really much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    What a bummer having to take your kids out for a good time hiking and camping. I know I know it's tough job and I know you'll have to just suffer through it.
    Best of luck. d:{)
    It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

Salty

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    Thanks for sharing your trip to the Gorge, looks like fun was had by all!
    Photos are great, especially the one of your son on the outcrop. That one is a classic! Very nice.
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Speer SWT
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the report and the photos Salty! I'm glad you and the boys had a good time. I had to drive right by all the Gorge exits today and go to Biltmore.

Ya'll know where I'd rather have been.

Ken
    http://www.linvillegorge.net

"You can't hem up a Rat!" Malcom Johnson, ca. 1970

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Cool pics! Every time I see the Gorge, I long for the next hang. Thanks for sharing with us!
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Thanks for the report and the photos Salty! I'm glad you and the boys had a good time. I had to drive right by all the Gorge exits today and go to Biltmore.

Ya'll know where I'd rather have been.

Ken
    Ken, I thought about you on the trail. I don't know if you maintain Hawksbill, but there were some nice hints on the trail where washouts looked like the trail and someone threw some limbs across the way blocking the path to the false trail. There was also a rock arrow where another trail diverged.

Salty

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trouthunter View Post
    Thanks for sharing your trip to the Gorge, looks like fun was had by all!
    Photos are great, especially the one of your son on the outcrop. That one is a classic! Very nice.
    Trouthunter, thanks. Our original plan was to hike to the summit of Hawksbill, hike to another location and have lunch, and finally drive over to the lower section of Wilson Creek and go for a swim. We never did the last two items. I know you like to fish, and Wilson Creek is very nice upstream. The lower section is big water and hatchery supported, but the headwaters are small and wild. If you get to the gorge area early this fall, you might want to hit Wilson. I access the Table Rock side of the gorge off Gingercake Rd off Hwy 181. South of the Gingercake Rd is a road off 181 called Brown Mountain Beach Rd. There is a white church there. If you take that road and follow it out a few miles, you'll see a sign for the Wilson Creek campground. You can then take that road back all the way up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Great fishing is all through that area and Wilson Creek lower parallels the road for much of the time. There is also a pull-off on 181 for Upper Creek Falls. Upper Creek was a nice little creek, but there was a really terrible flood there a few years back. I don't know if it has recovered or not.

I thought I'd mention this since the access roads are so close to the trailheads where you will likely be this fall.

Salty

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' Burrito View Post
    Cool pics! Every time I see the Gorge, I long for the next hang. Thanks for sharing with us!
    Thanks, Hangin' Burrito! I'm ready to go back, tomorrow.

For you guys that love the gorge, have you ever visited the Panthertown Valley area? It shares some of the same magic. It used to be very rarely used. Now, it gets heavy use, but mostly on the main trails/roads. There are plenty of remote areas in Panthertown Valley where one can get away from it all.

I lost a very nice pair of boots to Panthertown. I stepped in some black mud down there off-trail, and I don't know what was in that mud, but I never could get the smell out of my boots. Everytime they heated up, it smelled like crotch grease.

Salty

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    have you ever visited the Panthertown Valley area? It shares some of the same magic. It used to be very rarely used. Now, it gets heavy use, but mostly on the main trails/roads. There are plenty of remote areas in Panthertown Valley where one can get away from it all.
    Salty
    Yep, been there several times. I actually fell from a tree & broke a bunch of stuff on an un-named trail there in 2002
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Isn't it nice to have to take the kids to places like that?

Good job, Dad!

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast