Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Overnighter RRG 9/29

Anyone up for an overnighter @ RRG on Saturday, 9/29/07? E-mail or PM me if you're interested.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    I'm actually going down the night before with a group from my church so I'll be there, just a day early!

Hmmm. Let me see if I can talk my wife into letting me go. I've been pushing it lately but you never know. I told her I wanted to get one more overnighter in before my GSMNP trip mid October. I love RRG.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'm off work that weekend so if nothing comes up I should be able to join you.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I'm off work that weekend so if nothing comes up I should be able to join you.
    Cool, HC. I hadn't really thought about it too much yet, any ideas where to camp? I had considered going back down Buck Trail to the same area that Big E and I camped at. Any suggestions? Other good hanging spots that aren't too difficult to access?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    would love to come, but already have plans. Taking kids to a native american powwow in Richmond,ky

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Anyone up for an overnighter @ RRG on Saturday, 9/29/07? E-mail or PM me if you're interested.
    Crap I can't make it.

Sorry I couldn't resist rubbing it in a little. I'll be in either NJ or possibly PA by then if anyone wants to join me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Um, ,

Maybe.

I'm not planning anything that weekend, soooooo, I'll PM you when I is sure.

Doctari.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    Crap I can't make it.

Sorry I couldn't resist rubbing it in a little. I'll be in either NJ or possibly PA by then if anyone wants to join me.
    rub it in, rub it in... maybe it'll work out that i can hook up w/ you in N.C. or VA.
    i'd like to see RRG when i can, but i plan to be taking part in a group camp at greyson highlands st park that week end.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Well, folks, we're back from RRG and it was GREAT to be outside and get a good hang and a wonderful hike. I'm sure Doctari, my hiking partner for the weekend will chime in on this too, particularly considering the amount of time he's spent at the Gorge. He's much more familiar with it, but I'll tell ya what I can. We made it to the Gorge after much ado trying to get to a safe place for Doctari to park his van. A bunch of uptown Lexington was closed due to the Race for the Cure 5k event. Once we finally made it to the parking deck, got on the road and drove to the Gorge, it was well after noon, but still early enough to hike in a good way. We parked at the Swinging Bridge parking lot and took the Sheltowee Trace Trail in a couple miles and then took Rough Trail 221 in. This trail is most appropriately named, for sure. A challenge for a slow hiker like me, but a good hike nonetheless. We made camp about 2 miles from Gray's Arch off the trail near where some groundlings were camped and making entirely too much noise. BTW, Doctari definitely knows how to find a good campsite. Anyway, we were so sleepy by the time we got there that we didn't care. Once we got camp made, dinner down and all the cleanup completed, we were both ready to crash. So, not horribly long after 6pm, we both hit the hammocks, ready to sleep. I didn't get cool until the sun went down, then I got in my sleeping bag on top pf my CCF pad. It was a good cool night, the kind that is just totally conducive to a good night's rest. It was a good hang, with clear skies and no rain. I hung my tarp, but didn't stake down one side and folded it back. The next morning after we FINALLY got up, we made breakfast and hiked the rest of the way to Gray's Arch after breaking camp. The arch was absolutely breathtaking. My first trip to RRG with Big E made me want to come back for more, but now I really am in love with this place. I hope to see much, much more of it. We had a good hike out, a nice drive back to Lexington for Doctari to claim his van and me to get home. I still have the lovely "hiker perfume" on, so I'm off to shower. I certainly hope that we can get more folks from HF to go up there sometime, it's "Gorge-ous"! Get it?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast