Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Give it a try! Any additional insulation will add some warmth. It all boils down to your choice of weight and bulk and cost. The poncho liner design makes it pretty easy to stuff different types of insulation between layers.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camoxjeep View Post
    Been thinking the same thing while I was reading this. Also for some reason I just cant wrap my head around the fact that you fold it in half and it would fit the length of the hammock. Spent 9 yrs army and love woobies but dont recall them being that long. Guess when I get home in the morning I will have to bust them out to see how long they are compared to a hammock LOL
    They're not quite full-length, but many of us use a sit pad or additional insulation under our feet...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Could you turn one on the diamond shape and then cut the edges off making it an asym octagon kind of thing... It would add extra coverage under your head and feet...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Could you turn one on the diamond shape and then cut the edges off making it an asym octagon kind of thing... It would add extra coverage under your head and feet...
    Knock yourself out. Most under quilts are designed to start at your shoulders. If you try and squeeze out a full length quilt out of the fabric, you will lose width and coverage around your shoulders.

If it were me, I'd just sew/overlap two PLUQs to make a full length with extra insulation under my butt. A winter PLUQs.

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Question here, Dejoha's instructions say to make pleats/darts in the ends of the PLUQ when sewing, but has anyone tried NOT doing this, and using a full tube of grosgrain and shock cord to gather these ends? Does this work, or does it just create difficult bunching of the poncho liner?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Medecine Hat View Post
    Question here, Dejoha's instructions say to make pleats/darts in the ends of the PLUQ when sewing, but has anyone tried NOT doing this, and using a full tube of grosgrain and shock cord to gather these ends? Does this work, or does it just create difficult bunching of the poncho liner?
    Did that with mine, except that I just ran it through the edging on the liner (same as he suggests with his no-sew version). It works okay; it's kept me warm as low as 25 F with no supplemental under insulation aside from the layer of mylarized fleece I sewed into the PLUQ.

Note that with the added weight of the fleece, I usually run my Hennessy's tieouts around the quilt to the opposing side in order to snug up the middle. That's a suspension issue, though, not an end seal issue.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks. I was not planning on adding any other insulation such as Insultex, etc. I was just going to sew up a PLUQ as a warm-weather option until I am able to buy or make a down filled UQ. Since my winter gear has been taken out of my pack lightening the load, I thought the extra weight of a PLUQ for now wouldn't be an issue.

Does anyone think it works better to use the pleats/darts instead of the continuous shock cord?

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    I just folded mine in half and sewed it together. Works like a champ so far... Good luck!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Haven't used mine in awhile since experimenting with the insulated undercover. It was sewn without pleats and gathered with a draw string in each end. One end was left open to allow inserting the insulfleece mentioned by FLRider. I did find that the triangle thingys help with supporting it in the correct position. My first hang we got down to 32f and it was very comfortable.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Wish I had thought about leaving an end open... Well there's always a seam puller I guess...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast