Hi everyone,
I'm gathering materials to make my first hammock, although I've never seen more than a picture of a camping hammock. Here's what I have so far, and my questions:
- Just picked up some sage or olive green $1 nylon at Wal-Mart; it seems to be ripstop with a DWR, based on what I've seen on other threads here and based on my melting/H20/blowing tests. How do I figure out if it's 1.1 or 1.9 oz? I bought 8 yards, figuring that if it were too light, I'd do a double-layer hammock like Risk's Zhammock, instead of a single-layer hammock.

- Is 5/32" braided polypropylene cord too thick for wrapping the ends of the hammock?

- I also bought some stainless "chain links" at the hardware store. They're 1/4", rated for 2000 pounds each, and turn shut with a threaded closure. Now, I take it that one idea is to attach Spectra cord/poly webbing to the whipped hammock ends and use the quicklinks to hang off the tree straps? (don't have tree straps yet, am thinking about going the hardware-store-cinch-straps route). I am 106 pounds soaking wet, so I don't think I'm going to break them, but let me know if this is a bad idea.

I'm a very good sewer, a terrible knot-tyer, and a complete hammock newbie. This should be an adventure. Thanks for your help!