Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: drip stoppers

When my brother and I were trying out our new Speer hammocks the first time, it rained. I had tied socks on my straps because I had read about this in Ed's book, he did not. I stayed dry, he did not. I now have strips cut off from a packtowel tied on my straps, and have not had any problems. A better solution, in my perpetually growing list of projects, would be to just sew them onto the straps. This would avoid any possibility of water seeping under a loose tie job. It also would prevent forgetting them or even having to deal with them at all again. A very good thing for the terminally forgetful such as myself.

My kingdom for my butt in the woods

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I slept in my back yard Mon & tue nights, had to work Wed, but I left my "camp" set up, it rained off & on most of Wed & this AM, & had rained a few times Thrs night. I came home around 6:00 & went right to bed. The inside of my hammock was soaked; hammock, sleeping bag, AND underquilt. I have slept in MUCH harder rain with this exact set up w no problems. I strongly suspect that it was the prolonged hang wet weather. What may have added to the "Problem" the temp has gone from around 60 to below 45 since about 9:00 last night.

My "drip diverters" are heavy duty cotton shoe laces, about 10" long. I hang from spectra cord, my hammock tie points are 7' 8" apart, my tarp is about 8' 9" along the ridge.

What MAY have added to the problem is I had my wool cool weather sleeping shirt draped over the ridgeline near the head end. The water seemed to be pooled under the shirt. I mention it, but don't really feel the contribution if any was very much.

I think that using the spectra cord lessened the water in my hammock. The drip lines reduced that even more, but (so far) I feel that almost nothing will stop a prolinged hang in the rain. But then by prolinged rain, I suppose I mean over 24 hrs. I have gotten nearly this wet once, from condensation in my sil nylon tent.

I am going to add a drip line @ ea end made of camp towel material, just to see if that helps. This will be tied to the spectra cord, my other drip lines are tied to the hammock lines.

Doctari.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I slept in my back yard Mon & tue nights, had to work Wed, but I left my "camp" set up, it rained off & on most of Wed & this AM, & had rained a few times Thrs night. I came home around 6:00 & went right to bed. The inside of my hammock was soaked; hammock, sleeping bag, AND underquilt. I have slept in MUCH harder rain with this exact set up w no problems. I strongly suspect that it was the prolonged hang wet weather. What may have added to the "Problem" the temp has gone from around 60 to below 45 since about 9:00 last night.

My "drip diverters" are heavy duty cotton shoe laces, about 10" long. I hang from spectra cord, my hammock tie points are 7' 8" apart, my tarp is about 8' 9" along the ridge.

What MAY have added to the problem is I had my wool cool weather sleeping shirt draped over the ridgeline near the head end. The water seemed to be pooled under the shirt. I mention it, but don't really feel the contribution if any was very much.

I think that using the spectra cord lessened the water in my hammock. The drip lines reduced that even more, but (so far) I feel that almost nothing will stop a prolinged hang in the rain. But then by prolinged rain, I suppose I mean over 24 hrs. I have gotten nearly this wet once, from condensation in my sil nylon tent.

I am going to add a drip line @ ea end made of camp towel material, just to see if that helps. This will be tied to the spectra cord, my other drip lines are tied to the hammock lines.

Doctari.
    Doctari,

Tarp length sounds kinda short.... may be a basic coverage problem.....

Edit... disrgard comment... just noticed that you cite the hammock length which is even shorter

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I think that the biners that I have between the support lines and the hammock would do a lot to eliminate water seeping down and soaking the hammock. You may try adding those and see if it helps.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Doctari, one thing that helped me when I had this problem was to pour water onto the support. That way I could see the path the water was taking. I notied a difference when I poured a little vs a lot witout any dripstoppers. I used the inside of paracord on my HH mod. That worked no matter how much water I poured. With the drip stoppers, water seemed to take the same path.

Are you still using straps? You might want to try twisting them. That might work without adding anything.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    was the tarp touching the wool shirt by chance?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe the wind was blowing the hammock around enough to get wet from the sides of the tarp. When you're in it you don't blow around, but if it's flapping around it might be enough to get it wet.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images

Non-Engineer ?

Does twisting the straps effect the amount of load that the straps can hold - like tying a knot in rope weakens the rope? (Im not an engineer so dont chastise me when you read this). BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images

strap

yes by as much as a 1/3 but most strap is way over rated. well not the walmart stuff !
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Images
    Good to know. Im getting ready to order some of the 1 inch stuff from Ed and cut the spectra on my HH. Im replacing it with the straps and descending rings setup. BTW, good to see you again Breeze. Havent heard you in awhile. BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast