ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    D.I.Y Hex
    Insulation
    skin and fat
    Suspension
    Slap Strap

Is my tarp a loss? HELP

Ok so i decided to re waterproof my DIY non silnylon hex tarp. I made it out of the light weight rip stop from walmart. Well I decided to go with the silicone and mineral spirits. Well i obviously didnt have enough mineral spirits. So i added some paint thinner. The mixture looked like it was enough. It wasnt, the tarp is pretty thick with silicon in some places. The places where i peeled some off, isnt waterproof. I have a big trip on wednesday and i REALLY need a tarp. I tried going to the last two walmarts around here that still have their fabric dept. BUT no luck, i couldnt find any. So i went up to joanns to get some of their rip stop but didnt want that heavy of a tarp. That stuff is just sooooo heavy compared to mine. Is there a way to save my tarp..... Looking back i should have used gasoline... Its cheaper and i have gallons laying around. I choose not to because its dirty and it smells. Well i would have taken the color and smell over my useless tarp. Please help!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    Maybe just carry a cheapo blue one on this trip, and give yourself a little time to think about tarps.

You can get actual silnylon already siled-up for pretty cheap online, and make your tarp in time for your next trip. Might be happier with that : o )

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Downy goodness
    Suspension
    webbing
    I think gasoline would be a big mistake. You have got yourself quite a pickle there, How did you try to apply your mixture? Could you use a bondo spreader and some Permatex flowable windshield silicone to finish it off? I like using the Permatex because it comes already thin like syrup, and doesn't smell. With a spreader you can really force it into the fabric. And it goes a long way. The cheapo tarp option is probably the easiest way to go though at this point.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    D.I.Y Hex
    Insulation
    skin and fat
    Suspension
    Slap Strap
    silnylon is like 8-10 bucks a yard plus shipping... I might as well buy a maccat tarp. But i like making my own. This fabric was a good choice i think, i mean 150 a hard... cant be beat. Well i planned on spreading it on with a foam brush but made the mistake of dunking it in. The whole thing is already covered. Id be fine with it but parts of it turned out to be not so waterproof. Like i said the places where it didnt really get mixed up i guess. It kinda globed on the outside. Ive seen people use gasoline before. It just thins the silicone down but its just dirty. Im not the biggest fan of the cheapo tarp because of the way i have to set it up. Plus its sooo heavy and bulky!! lol could i wine any more!! Its just soo frustrating i knew i should have gotten more mineral spirits. Its just really really expensive.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Somewhere here is directions for 'Making your own sil nylon" but I can not find it right now.

I think warbonnet guy posted it, but it has been some time ago.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    D.I.Y Hex
    Insulation
    skin and fat
    Suspension
    Slap Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Somewhere here is directions for 'Making your own sil nylon" but I can not find it right now.

I think warbonnet guy posted it, but it has been some time ago.
    yeah i probably should have tried to find it before i attempted this. I had the right ratio but my native american friend that i should never have help put the whole tube in while i was inside........ I just love that tarp and it took me awhile to make but its the shape i wanted and the right weight.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy hex
    Insulation
    diy kaq & down top
    Images
    Here you are, sir, Silnylon 2nds for 5.90 / yard, from a lovely and reputable company

http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonW...stop.asp#Nylon Ripstop: Coated

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Kind of a stupid question I guess... but I've been known to ask stupid questions before. Where is the tarp compromised? If it is around the edges toward the ground you might be able to get by with it for your upcoming trip. Then you might be able to peel and properly treat the fabric according to the above referenced directions. If the leaky sections are in places that would flood the hammock you have to look at different options.

FWIW mineral Spirits and paint thinner don't mix well if I understand correctly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    D.I.Y Hex
    Insulation
    skin and fat
    Suspension
    Slap Strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Kind of a stupid question I guess... but I've been known to ask stupid questions before. Where is the tarp compromised? If it is around the edges toward the ground you might be able to get by with it for your upcoming trip. Then you might be able to peel and properly treat the fabric according to the above referenced directions. If the leaky sections are in places that would flood the hammock you have to look at different options.

FWIW mineral Spirits and paint thinner don't mix well if I understand correctly.
    well its just in spots. I think im just gonna take it and see what happens.... I can always just go under my friends tarp for the night. Yes they dont but i was desperate so that and denatured alcohol where the closest things i had.

Quote Originally Posted by goodcaver View Post
    Here you are, sir, Silnylon 2nds for 5.90 / yard, from a lovely and reputable company

http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonW...stop.asp#Nylon Ripstop: Coated
    yes im sorry i lied.... I did see that a couple of nights ago when i was just looking around. I might have to invest in some in a week or so. After i see what i can do with my tarp. I might try to get off all that i can then make a small thin mixture and patch up the spots with a foam brush? Does that sound like a plan? If i can salvage it then i will sew a whole new one... Which i dont mind because i love projects!!!!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Go to Noah Lamports - 3 bucks a yard. Good stuff, I just made a tarp out of it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast