Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Trim for a blackcat

I am almost done with my diy Blackcat tarp. I am at the point of deciding to use trim or not to trim. Do you use double folded bias tape or is there something better? Also does the trim serve any purpose other than cosmetics such as does it add strength? I took my time and my hems look perfessional so if the trim is just to cover up crooked seems, I'd prefer to show off my handy sewing abilty.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    I didn't trim and it works very well. Look at my gallery photos. I don't think it is worth the extra weight. I personally don't think it adds much strength.

Images
    I intend to trim mine since I'm going to be using very light fabric. You can make your own "tape" for trimming if you want. I'll be using 3.9oz coated ripstop to make my just barely biased tape... cut on a 10-15 degree angle instead of a 45 degree one. Allows some conformance to curves, but is stronger than 45 degree bias.... With the cat cut it distributes the tension evenly along the edge.

If I was using heavier fabric I'd be less likely to do so, especially with a good rolled hem.

Images
    two reasons to use trim. it can be used to cover up a raw edge. if you use bias tape, like rapt mentioned, it will be stretchy and not provide anything structural.

if non biased trim is used, the traditional corner pull tabs (weak link in the tarp) can be left off the tarp entirely, and the trim can take the load. what this does, is distribute any force applied to the tarp (wind for instance) to the trim, which then can distribute it evenly among the several thousand stitches around the entire perimeter of the tarp (like a trampoline), rather than applying the same force to a few stitches at each corner. you have to incorperate cat cut sides to achieve this though, but such a tarp should be able to handle much higher forces, and as a plus, the tarp will be stretched much tighter than is possible with regular corner pull tabs.

i think this is a new idea though. after i came up with the idea, i decided to search for other tarps with non traditional pull tabs. i found that the granite gear white lightning uses the same concept. the tarp i had at trail days and the granite gear white lightning are the only ones like this that i know of. the white lightning actually uses trim folded over the edge, i use 1/2" nylon grossgrain ribbon threaded through a rolled hem.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    MLD Spectralite
    Insulation
    JRB seasonal
    Warbonnetguy,

Do you have any pictures of how you connected the pullouts? I'm pretty new to DIY gear and have not been able to find any closeups of the Granite Gear White Lightnin tarp.

If you don't have pictures, could you please describe what you did?

Images
    The hem along the edges already distributes the forces along the edge. I still firmly believe it is for aesthetics alone.

Images
    no, if regular corner pull tabs are used, ALL force is distributed only to the stitches that connect the pull tab/pull tab patch to the sil. no actual force is distributed to the edge, trimmed or not.

Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    The hem along the edges already distributes the forces along the edge. I still firmly believe it is for aesthetics alone.

Images
    the only pic i could find is here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...+hammock+specs

i don't have one right now to take a close up of, but i'll try to draw a diagram.

basically, each side of the tarp has one piece of grossgrain ribbon running through (and stitched into) the hem from one end to the other. at the corners, the hem is open and the grossgrain is exposed. this is your pull tab. i have a plastic o-ring there to minimize wear on the grossgrain ribbon.

the 2 end corners are different. i just take a foot or so of 1/2" flat weave nylon webbing and sew it (doubled over) to the ridge seam. the two long pieces of grossgrain ribbon terminate inside the stitching of these end pull tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by nartoff View Post
    Warbonnetguy,

Do you have any pictures of how you connected the pullouts? I'm pretty new to DIY gear and have not been able to find any closeups of the Granite Gear White Lightnin tarp.

If you don't have pictures, could you please describe what you did?

Images
    here's a drawing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    MLD Spectralite
    Insulation
    JRB seasonal
    Thanks for posting those pictures; I think that's what I'll end up doing when I finally make my tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast