Adding material or vent to sides of hammock

Just thinking out loud here, (and I like the idea of the waterproof hammock, but hanging in one here in Fl would likely sweat 12lbs of water out of me), but....

Could you cut vents or add material into the side walls of a hammock to cool it off or add space?

For instance, use 60" wide material and cut triangles out of the side walls that wrap over you near the head. Say, no less than 48" across the center. This would be the same as the clark width of the main body. And either sew in additional material to create a pocket, footbox, etc. or maybe bugnet to create a vent.

Crazy talk?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    crazy talk, in my opinion.

Your absolutely right, you'll be sweaty, and with waterproof fabric you'll likely get a big sweat puddle by morning, down at the lowest point, your tush.

A good tarp strung proper will keep you dry and a breathable hammock fabric will keep you comfortable.

There is a lot of tension on the hammock body..dicing holes in it and adding panels is asking for trouble.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'm not sure what you want to accomplish. Maybe I just don't grasp the idea. Here's what bothers me... Adding triangles to the edges strikes me that you would end up with an inverted sag to the hammock body. The sides would be much longer than the center of the bed. The whipped designs that I am familiar with shorten the edges to provide a "cup" to lie in. I can't envision what sides longer than the centerline would result in. But it doesn't strike me as a good thing. However.. I am not a designer. It _might_ be possible to cut a few slit vents in the body of the hammock but I am not sure I understand what that would accomplish. In addition IMO those slits would have to be very reinforced to keep them from tearing under load. But again... I am not a designer. There is one sure way to tell. Give it a try and report back to us.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts